New starter

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to do a VLCD for weeks now and keep stopping and starting so Ive come to realise this is no good for me and ive just come across the Dukan diet and thought this could really work for me. The trouble is I want something I can stick to but see results faster than other diets where it takes forever to loose.

Ive been peeking at your weight loss results and you have all done really well and it hasnt taken you years!!

So, I am gona give Dukan a good go and see how it goes. The only trouble Ive found so far is that it costs over £300 to join the diet and get the support on their website!! Does everyone join this or do you just follow a book or something??

I could do with all the help I can get with this!!

Im not starting till Monday I think so I need to go shopping and get loads of protein in. Not really a big meat eater which is the other downside, but love eggs and ham and fish so should be ok!

Ive got a lot to loose though so hoping it doesnt get boring too quickly! I think my trouble is I keep thinking I should just do the VLCD and loose it all quick, which I have done before, but gained it back and more! So i need to get my head out of that and into this.

If anyone fancies being my mentor/guide that would be fab!! Plus Ive got everyone else on this site for help! I really wana get going but need to wait till after the weekend and Ive had a drinkie on sat night! (been a bad week!!) on that note, does anyone have a drink (alcohol) on this diet or is a no no! I dont wana sound like a complete drunkard but I do enjoy a bevvie or two on a fri night! Also, another quick question, how long do you do the attack phase for?

Thanks in advance!

OOOH and (sorry- another question!!) can I eat any fruit or vegetables during the attack phase?

Hi and welcome! I wouldn't recommend using the Dukan website as its very expensive and iv done just fine with just the book! You can use the Dukan web page to calculate your true weight for free this will also tell you how long you should do the attack phase for!

Yeh sorry no fruit or veg in the attack phase! You need to make sure you buy some oat bran too their are lots of tasty recipes on this site you could try in attack you can have 1.5 tbs a day!

Your right in buying lots of protein foods but remember to avoid high fat meats such as pork or lamb you can have beef but stick to lean cuts and low fat mince! All fish are fine!

The other essentials are sweeteners skimmed milk and lots of herbs and spices to give a little flavour as plain meat can be a bit boring. Oh eggs are fine but its recommended you only have two yokes!

Any questions just ask hon everyone on here is really helpfully!

I would recommend getting the book bit don't waste your money on the web site! X

I recommend you read the book thoroughly and spend some time reading this forum too. This is a very successful diet for many, but to be honest as it works by putting the body through ketosis you must be very strict. If this is a problem maybe ww or sw might be better. That said, I love this way of eating! Avoid booze, I only drank a couple of times when on cruise and it did cost me some loss time. I, like the others feel so much healthier, sleep better, run faster, etc etc so will stay low carb for life. You may find that this diet will change how you feel about food for life, for the better of course, good luck with the reading, but don't rush into this because of the fast losses. Decide if you can eat this way, strictly, for some time. Oh yeah, you may feel awful during attack, this is normal, it's carb withdrawal and it does not last for ever!

I too would definitely suggest buying the book at least, I haven't bothered with the membership for the website, far too much money to spend on top of the cost of the food you need to buy anyway. I've got a few of the Dukan books to guide me, and anything I'm not sure about I ask here.

It might be worth taking a look through the diaries to see what kind of food people are prepping and eating every day, and also some of the recipes The first 3/4 days are the hardest to get through as your body enters ketosis. That's when I had my only cravings so far. Looks like I'm at a similar weight as you, and I've also tried many other diets. So far this has been a breeze to stick to. By now in any other diet I would have fallen and given in to cravings, but thats where I find Dukan different, there are no cravings to make me slip.

Good luck, and just ask if you're stuck or need advice :)

and the book you need costs less than a tenner. Don't be tempted to buy the whole range of Dukan books out there now. The only one you need is this one:
The Dukan Diet: Amazon.co.uk: Dr Pierre Dukan, Pierre Dukan: Books

The official website isn't greatly appreciated so I wouldn't waste your money. Someone here will usually have the answer to your questions.

I'm happy to help out with any questions you might have. Fruit unfortunately is a no go until you have reached your target weight, so something else to think about before starting out. Alcohol officially isn't ok until target weight either, although many do dabble with varying weight results!

I understand that at your current weight you want fast results (check my signature... I used to weigh 22 stone), but you need a plan you can stick at for a decent time without cheating to give yourself a good chance at reducing your weight.

If you like meat, fish, eggs... and, dare I say it, COOKING, this is a good plan for you!

Agree with everyone else's comments - this is a great diet and you will lose the weight if you stick with it BUT it won't be at the rate of a VLCD!!! The plus side is that you will not have any cravings after attack and I stuck to the food side of it religiously for nearly 12 months before I reached target - that was unheard of for me previously.... I did have a few evenings of drinking - always vodka and diet coke but never cheated food wise!!! You seem to have yo-yoed a bit like me and I would say the toughest part of Dukan has been maintaining but that has always been my problem!!! LOL! Get reading the book - you don't need the coaching - plenty of people on here to help.... Commit 100% to it and you will succeed!!! x

Thanks hun! Which book is the best one then? I tried to follow your link but it wouldnt work for some reason. I had a look at Dukan on Amazon but there are a few so I wondered if there is a better one to get for newbies such as myself!!

x

Agree with everyone else's comments - this is a great diet and you will lose the weight if you stick with it BUT it won't be at the rate of a VLCD!!! The plus side is that you will not have any cravings after attack and I stuck to the food side of it religiously for nearly 12 months before I reached target - that was unheard of for me previously.... I did have a few evenings of drinking - always vodka and diet coke but never cheated food wise!!! You seem to have yo-yoed a bit like me and I would say the toughest part of Dukan has been maintaining but that has always been my problem!!! LOL! Get reading the book - you don't need the coaching - plenty of people on here to help.... Commit 100% to it and you will succeed!!! x

Wow Trudie, youve done really well! I can cope without the drinks! I just wondered how the odd one will do, as I know it is v restricting on VLCD and I dont want to feel that restricted again as its too much for me, so I like the fact if i do have the odd drink it wont ruin all hope of the lbs falling off! I need to give myself a slap and get on with it i think!

I guess I was signed into Amazon. You need the one which says on the cover that 5 million French women can't be wrong!

I think that most of us follow the book and join forums for support without joining Dukan (official site). I use the dukan site to buy some products and to get recipe ideas and it is a good place to get extra info but really for support etc. I couldn't afford it if I had only the Dukan site to rely on.

I bought my copy of the book from Saisbury's some time ago but have since also seen it at the library too. Hope it works as well for you as i does for others. x

Welcome and good luck. What the girls have said, no need to pay hundreds out, as Joanne said buy the book and hundreds of recipies on this fantastic supportive forum. If you are really are committed to lose weight you will xx and on down days, and days you feel like folding get on hear and shout HELP..................its free and it works the support on hear is free but worth thousands xxx

Echo all that the others say above. Just buy,borrow or steal the book - the basic one, titled the dukan diet- and come here if you get stuck or can't find the answers.

This is a great diet if you don't like feeling hungry - that's what always caused me to break other diets. On dukan, so long as you eat the right foods, ie lots of protein, some veg, low fat and no sugar or carbs, you will lose weight AND not feel hungry. Don't forget the oat bran either, that fills you up and keeps you regular....

Veg - none on attack, but for most people, attack is really quite short, 5 days is the average, and after that, you can have a limited range of veg on alternate days if you follow the usual routine in cruise. No fruit until you get to conso - that surprises a lot of people including me, but I now realise that although fruit is fresh and generally healthy, it's loaded with sugar and needs to be eaten with discretion.

Alcohol - most people will tell you that this is not a good idea on dukan: it can stall your loss, it dehydrates you and you can have massive hangovers! If you do have a drink, modest or otherwise, I think the only thing to do is put behind you and carry on with the diet. No point in beating yourself up, or go on a mini attack phase, or using it as a reason to go on a binge, or stop the diet, which can be the usual reasons for diet sabotage.

Good luck, it works for me and I hope you too

welcome from me too. Its all been said really but here's my experience

I did attack for 7 days as I had over 6 stone to lose, I am currently at 5.25st so it does work. I started last June, I had a planned cheat for my birthday in August,but my planned cheats for christmas completely failed and i put 6lb back on, took me a month to lose it again and get back on the right track. So if you know in advance of any posible hiccups, plan plan plan. I lost 6.8lb in that first week. Lost the first few stone very quickly but it slowed down and is even slower currently.

Work out a menu at the start of each week, this will help with shopping. Shop around for the cheapest items, farm foods, aldi and the reduced in Asda morrisons etc., I used to do all my shopping in asda, i now go to four different shops.

I make my own yogurts which works out half the price of asda smart price, dead easy to make too.

Check out the forum and google for recipes. Hundreds and hundreds out there.

ask any and all questions, regardless of how daft they sound, someone is bound to have already asked it and has an answer anyway.

Once you get into the mindset of the diet you will find you won't cheat at all, you won't even want to.

$(KGrHqJ,!loE1FyWh)OHBNcI7FL(Z!~~_8.JPG
The Dukan Diet by Pierre Dukan : Diet Book UK Seller NEW on eBay!

this is the book I have, and was the only one i did have for the first four months. I only got the others cos I wanted more recipes and any other info possible.

Don't pay for the coaching, don't get me wrong its bound to have its uses and lots of people will use it, but i never did, neither did my parents who both lost with Dukan. I do tend to Google for loads of info when i am stuck and want a quick answer.

Welcome and good luck xx

wow, so many great tips, thanks everyone! ive almost read the life plan book now, and will probably revisit it alot, and also the dukan diet recipe book arrived this morning so ill have a look at that in a bit.

Welcome xx dukan is the best diet ever!!! I was like trudy and stuck to it religiously which I've never been able to do with any other diet before - it took me a year to get to target but I did have a lot to lose - I found the longer I was on it the easier it got and loved the fact that all the protein stopped me feeling hungry - have a trawl through the recipe section there's some great ideas - the things I couldn't have coped without are the muffins - I have those every day - quark, sugar free jelly, turkey mince and pasatta - they truly are lifesavers - and most of all this forum!!! Good luck xx

Same Hear the muffins are the main thing on Dukan that has made me love this diet, great food and CAKE.................xxx

Back