New to Dukan - shopping list staples

Chereally

Reading the book at the moment and plan to shop on Saturday and start on Sunday, wanted to know what is on everyones shopping lists?

Thanks x x

Be prepared for your shopping to take much longer than normal as you will be studying the labels and going back and forth. Just because something says low fat on it doesn't make it right and you start to appreciate just how complex food labelling is.

Good luck.

Your staples should be simple things where you don't need to study any labels. If you need to study the label chances are it's off the menu for now - definitely off the menu for attack! If you need to study labels, as well as checking for fat content per 100gr, avoid anything with sugar (sucrose, glucose, corn syrup, fructose, there are other names) and starch

My Staples tend to be (just studying my favourites on MySupermarket.com):

Oatbran (people have found Mornflake brand in Sainsbury, Morrisons, Tesco have an own brand one, Holland&Barret, health food or wholefood shops in general)

Fat-free fromage frais (0.1%)
Eggs
Fresh Chicken breast
White fish fresh/frozen
Tinned tuna, mackerel, salmon (in water / brine ONLY)
Extra-lean beef mince or steak (<5%fat I think)
Cottage cheese - you can't get fat-free but the lowest are Tesco and Asda value ranges at less that 1% fat.
Plain Fat free yoghurt 0.1%

To make life more interesting:
chicken pieces (for roasting then take skin off before eating)
fresh salmon,
smoked salmon
prawns
seafood in general
tofu

If you really need to: Vanilla or Toffee flavoured WW yoghurt or Muller lights (these are allowed max 2 per day as they're huge as well)
Diet drinks at less than 1cal per 100ml (max 3 cans a day I think)

Store cupboard items:

mustard
vinegar
herbs
curry powder
low-sodium soy sauce
low-fat/low salt stock cubes
if you buy spice mixes (like the Schwartz ones) keep an eye on the ingredients, they tend to contain sugar, so use very sparingly if at all.
granular sweetener like splenda
vanilla flavouring (avoid oil-based ones)

I'm sure I've forgotten something, no doubt others will chip in in a moment!

Last edited:
I tend to go for Turkey rather than chicken as its cheaper.

Whole chickens are great too, especially when on a 3 for £10 deal, just remove the skin before eating and let someone else eat the wings.

Oh and Oatbran.

I tend to go for Turkey rather than chicken as its cheaper.

Whole chickens are great too, especially when on a 3 for £10 deal, just remove the skin before eating and let someone else eat the wings.

Oh and Oatbran.

Oops I KNEW there was something - I'll edit my post just in case!

sweet spices like cinnamon or ginger - good for flavouring plain yoghurt and gallettes. Really check yoghurt labels as even some vanilla fat free have loads of carbohydrates. Good luck!

sweet spices like cinnamon or ginger - good for flavouring plain yoghurt and gallettes. Really check yoghurt labels as even some vanilla fat free have loads of carbohydrates. Good luck!
and sugar!

I've started today and can't believe the amount of sugar and other crazy ingredients in foods! It certainly has made me more aware of what I'm buying, which can only be a good thing!

balsamic vinegar, garlic, ginger
diet coke
multi vits
onion - dont eat just for flavour
lemons - again just for flavour not to drink juice
Total 0% greek yoghurt is lovely

Back