New to Dukan

Hi all, i'm new to the Dukan diet but not new to weight loss. I lost over 10 stone doing Atkins and then was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes so was warned well away from the Atkins diet, and told to follow the 'normal' diet recommended by the NHS and although my weight stayed steady for a while, the past few months it's been creeping back on and have decided to follow the Dukan diet. I have been reading the book and today started the Attack phase. I think I will do ok on the diet, though I have read that if you eat something your not supposed to all your efforts will be lost. That may be hard if I have a hypo and need glucotabs or lucozade... but we will see!

I do have one question, I have some Hartleys low calorie, fat free blueberry and blackcurrent jelly that has nil carbs in - can I have these on attack?

Also as I have not been able to go shopping before today, I had an old Atkins shake in the cupboard that I had for breakfast today - and often used to take these to work as I have a problem with eating infront of other people (i'm a bit weird) lol - took me ages to manage a drink in public and havn't got there with the eating yet!

I think I will make a diary here of what I am eating to help keep me on track, i've been looking at some of your diarys and they have given me some good ideas!

Sat with my sugar free jelly waiting for the ok and go ahead from someone :D

My starting weight before all weight loss was 23stone
my lowest weight was 12.12
my current weight is 14.0

First day almost over and im not even hungry!
Breakfast: atkins shake
lunch: 2 pieces of cod
dinner: 2 boiled eggs

lots of waters and cups of tea inbetween

WOW you havent had much to eat have you? You MUST MUST MUST have your oatbran - why dont you stick it in a yogurt if you dont really know what to do with it yet. I like making porridge with it although I made some yummy microwave bread with it the other day. Then you could have a sandwich.

Why dont you look through the menu section and the recipes? Do you have the book - I would reccomend it! WOW its like 20 questions!

I dont think Dukan advocates the protien shakes but I'm fairly new so I stand to be corrected. One of the Dukan elders may well be along in a mo :D

Good luck

hi and welcome. the shakes are a no no but not to worry its done. but you defo need your oat bran and you need to up your intake of protien. Sorry cant advise on your diabetes on can i say wow to the weight youve already lost xxx

I would worry about your type 1 diabetes. Have you checked with our doctor whether this diet will be ok for you? In the same way as Atkins this diet puts you into ketosis. That would make it impossible for doctors to tell whether you have ketacidosis - which is very dangerous. I suspect that's why they told you not to do Atkins. I don't know much about it but I would definitely check with the doctors first.

I echo Weasey's fears. If you were warned off Atkins by medics because of your health issues, then stay well away from any diet bringing you into ketosis. Sorry! (and of course your menu was hopelessly insufficient.)

I echo Weasey's fears. If you were warned off Atkins by medics because of your health issues, then stay well away from any diet bringing you into ketosis. Sorry! (and of course your menu was hopelessly insufficient.)

I have since then done DAFNE - a course for 'dose adjusting for normal eating' so i am able to adjust my doses according to what i eat myself.
I know my menu was a bit bare yesterday but I was no hungry?

Today I got the shopping in and maybe today as been better?

breakfast: vanilla muller light with 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran mixed in
lunch: slices of wafer thin chicken (pack says under 5g of fat)
dinner: some meatloaf that is currently in the oven with 2 boiled eggs
and a sugar free jelly later.

Pleanty of water, 2 cans of diet coke and cups of teas

How does that sound?

charlevian said:
I have since then done DAFNE - a course for 'dose adjusting for normal eating' so i am able to adjust my doses according to what i eat myself.
I know my menu was a bit bare yesterday but I was no hungry?

Today I got the shopping in and maybe today as been better?

breakfast: vanilla muller light with 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran mixed in
lunch: slices of wafer thin chicken (pack says under 5g of fat)
dinner: some meatloaf that is currently in the oven with 2 boiled eggs
and a sugar free jelly later.

Pleanty of water, 2 cans of diet coke and cups of teas

How does that sound?

Much better! How do you feel? I make like the Dukan quiche for lunches easy to carry to work and have it with cottage. Cheese. Either that or chicken!

Hi charlevian,

I too am a type 1 diabetic (I have also done a dafne course) and I have followed dukan and I lost two stone earlier this year. I then fell off the wagon and managed to regain 8lbs, I restarted a few weeks ago and have lost those pesky 8 lbs again. When I used to post on here I never ever mentioned my diabetes, mostly because I didn't think it was anyone else's business tbh. I haven't posted for ages but have always lurked especially in the recipe section. Your post however, has drawn me out, I thought you could do with a bit of positive support from a fellow diabetic dukaneer.

I can only tell you that my gp is supportive of me following this way of eating. Personally I have found my control has improved dramatically since switching from the nhs recommended diet to dukan. I've got rid of my 'carb belly' (take a look around next time you're in diabetic clinic nearly every diabetic has one). I've also reduced my cholesterol, and just generally improved my health and well being. The weight loss wasn't fast or linear but I just keep plodding on as I'm not in any rush.

I'm not telling you 'that this is the best diet for type one diabetics' I'm just letting you know that it is possible to follow dukan if you have the condition. Yes I would agree that you should discuss it with GP or consultant but ultimately how you eat is your decision. Being a healthy weight can only be a good thing for diabetes.

As for treating hypos (which only happen occasionally now) I just have something sugary if I'm low, usually pure apple juice, then drink plenty of water throughout the day, I suppose it's just like everyone else who has a little cheat now and again, but it's a necessity in our case. It probably has slowed my weightloss a little but hey it was necessary.

Well done on the weight you've already lost, that is super impressive. Feel free to pm if you like, although I don't post or keep my diary anymore I do always read the forum. Good luck with your weight loss and in managing your diabetes. My best advice is probably test your blood lots!!!!

Last edited:
I would worry about your type 1 diabetes. Have you checked with our doctor whether this diet will be ok for you? In the same way as Atkins this diet puts you into ketosis. That would make it impossible for doctors to tell whether you have ketacidosis - which is very dangerous. I suspect that's why they told you not to do Atkins. I don't know much about it but I would definitely check with the doctors first.

I think the main way to tell the difference would be a diabetic's blood glucose level, as in ketoacidosis this would be extremely elevated whereas in ketosis my blood glucose would be completely normal between 4 and 7 mmol.

so pleased you posted with that positive post munchkin. I think we were all lost at what to advise as were not medical. We cannot advise but we can support xxx

Hey thanks so much for stopping by and posting! should have read your post early, was doing really well up until I had a low today and had a few sips of lucozade and thought i'd recked all my efforts so had a potato for dinner lol but i'm right back on it, thanks very much for your post - really given me a boost :D

charlevian said:
Hey thanks so much for stopping by and posting! should have read your post early, was doing really well up until I had a low today and had a few sips of lucozade and thought i'd recked all my efforts so had a potato for dinner lol but i'm right back on it, thanks very much for your post - really given me a boost :D

Cool! One potato won't.make the Roman empire fall! Keep on truckin!

You're welcome I hope it was helpful, sorry it was so long and wafflley. I had originally written you a really long pm but couldn't send it because I don't think you've posted enough times to receive them, so be glad you got the edited and trimmed down version lol. I struggled a little bit with hypos at first until I got my background insulin levels sorted and I suppose my body got used to not eating carbs. Now it's better, I have to change my doses of background insulin periodically as my weight reduces. Sorry I am whittering on again! Lol.

Have a good dukan day. And don't stress about one potato, drink lots of water and move on.

Last edited:
Back