new to running - dry burning throat

sarah-louise x

Silver Member
Hi,

Wonder if any of you guys could offer me some advice please :confused: I am currently day 1 of wk 2 of my C25K and this is my first experience of running. Today I had to walk 2 min then run 2 min, but half way through i got awful burning sensation in my throat and chest and i really struggled to take a deep breath. Now 30 min afterwards and im coughing and wheezing.....however i do have exercise induced asthma but have not had to use a pump for well over a year, tho i do have it to hand just in case.

My theory is that its my quick shallow breathing and cold air as my treadmill is in an unheated log cabin in my garden and maybe i should slow down a little as the first week was all ok so this today has taken me by surprise.

Any advice greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :D x

mmm I know that a lot of runners found success with a yogic style breathing, which is in thru the nose and out thru the mouth. I struggle with it but you may find success

otherwise..

- longer deeper breaths
- breath more into the belly than the chest
- learn to exhale fully
- try 3 strides for inhale and 2 for exhale

Thank you, you sound like you know what your talking about so im happy to give your advice a try :) I was trying to take deeper breaths but I couldnt but next time i will use my asthma inhaler and see if this helps open the air way as im sure it will. Thanks again :)

My PT tells me to breathe in for 3/4 steps and out for 3/4 steps to slow my breathing down, rather than panting/shallow breathes.

My PT tells me to breathe in for 3/4 steps and out for 3/4 steps to slow my breathing down, rather than panting/shallow breathes.

sounds so easy to do but for me, i struggled. i was gasping but not cos of being unfit but because i couldnt take a deep breath. then i panic and the anxiety dont help. i do now think it was asthma related and the cold air :( im going to try again tmrw but will use my asthma pumps before and see if i can then take deep steady rythmical breaths. thanks for advice :D

Hi Sarah,

Hope this might help you.
I use to run a lot until I was injured hope to start again.

My guess is you are probably running too fast. My throat burns when I run really hard in cold weather.

Try slowing down. If you can't carry on a conversation then you're running too fast. It may feel like you're running REALLY slow, but running really slow in the beginning actually will make you a stronger and faster runner. The slow-paced running builds up your aerobic capacity. Once you have a strong aerobic base, you can then start to work on your speed (you will also find you probably gradually naturally become faster as you build up your miles).

Another consideration: make sure you are well-hydrated before you go out. A couple swallows of water before you go out may be helpful. As the weather warms up, you may need to carry water or a sports drink to stay well-hydrated (depending on where you live, how much you sweat, how long you're going out, etc).

Hope it helps.
Rob :whacky068:

Thank you Rob :) Yeah i think your right, a combination of what everyone has said should see me ok :) im off to try it all out shortly so i will soon find out :) I will update when im done. thanks again, i really appreciate all those who took the time to reply and offer me advice :)

This has helped me too, I always get a sore throat when running. Breath in for 3 out for 2 really works for me thanks x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thanks everyone for all your tips and advice. I tried them all out yesterday and had a much more pleasant time than the last one :) Your all stars!!! Thanks again x

Back