New to slimming world - can a pro help me out?

Hi All,

I joined SW yesterday and it is all very new to me. I may be reading it wrong here but are you telling me that if i have a healthy cooked breakfast I can eat as much of it as I like? This doesn't make sense to me. I was aiming for an EE day.

Please can someone tell me if I have done ok today. Got up late so first meal was brunch.

1 Banana

3 Quorn sausages
3 pieces of extra lean trimmed bacon
2 grilled toms
2 grilled mushrooms
Beans
2 slices of small hovis brown (HE?)

Jacket potato with prawns. Extra light mayo 6 level tbspoons (3 syns) one tbspoon of ketchup (1syn)

I'm not hungry which is great, but I think it will take a while for me to understand that this is a 'diet'.

If anyone could tell me some hard and fast rules to stick to I would be greatful.

Thanks all.

Billie xx

• You have to remember to abide by the 1/3 SuperFree rule. This rule means that if you're following the EE plan at least 1/3 of your plate HAS to be SuperFree - this is all fruits and most veg (exceptions being potatoes, parsnips, peas and sweetcorn - I think).
  • So you managed that with brunch, but not with your jacket potato. Also your HEB of bread has to be wholemeal - make sure you check that.
  • You haven't had a HEA yet (cheese/milk) so make sure you have that.
  • Other than that stick to a min 5 syns a day and max 15 syns a day.
  • Good luck with the plan :)
  • xx

Ah thank you - so have I failed today or can I count the jacket potato as syns? I just checked and the bread is Wheatgerm :(

x

It may be worth remembering that quorn sausages are no long free, they have syns since the new recipe, I think they are 2 syns each, but not 100% sure

Oh Cripes. It sounds like I haven't done that well at all then. Back to the drawing board.

So far I have worked out that after just eating a small bowl of Albran with skimmed milk I have eaten only free foods with a HEXA of milk and HEXB of albran.

I then synned by bread (because it was wheatgerm) /mayo/ketchup and now sausages and so it turns out I have inadvertently had 17 syns which I know is too many and i should have had some SFF with my jacket potato.

I would be really grateful if someone could let me know if my interpretation of this is right. So that I can know for definite.

Thanks all x

Most of the quorn sausages are 1 syn each - I think it's only the BBQ flavour that are 2 syns. So sounds like you're within your syns :) But I wouldn't worry too much about being perfect on your first week - it does take a little while to get the plan into your head! Soon it'll feel like second nature :) Just read and reread your book until you're sure it's in there right! Good luck!

Oh Cripes. It sounds like I haven't done that well at all then. Back to the drawing board.

So far I have worked out that after just eating a small bowl of Albran with skimmed milk I have eaten only free foods with a HEXA of milk and HEXB of albran.

I then synned by bread (because it was wheatgerm) /mayo/ketchup and now sausages and so it turns out I have inadvertently had 17 syns which I know is too many and i should have had some SFF with my jacket potato.

I would be really grateful if someone could let me know if my interpretation of this is right. So that I can know for definite.

Thanks all x

I wouldnt worry about counting all that as syns on this occasion, you've eaten it now so it's not going to make any difference! You'll soon get the hang of it.

On EE days 1/3 of every meal MUST be Superfree, so you did well with your breakfast but should have had some Superfree with your potato. The reason for the Superfree is to limit the portion size of food which is NOT Superfree such as the potato (as it has more calories in) whilst still filling you up. So calling them syns now wont make any difference, just draw a line under it and start again tomorrow, you'll soon get the hang of it :)

Whilst we're on the topic of superfree, you should try to snack on these first where you can - if you're still hungry after that you can always have something else.

Re: Healthy Extras - yes only wholemeal bread counts as HEXB UNLESS it is a brand specified on the HEX list online. You get 57g of wholemeal for a HEX - this isn't usually two slices worth unless you get one of the very small loaves.

Anyway, youre doing great. I would say you're not eating enough in fact. Make sure you eat your HEXA and some of your syns, plus PLENTY of superfree. Good luck x :)

agree with ermintrude

its a learning curve and probably compared to what you might usually eat, likely an improvement,

you'er doing fab, why not start a food diary on here to help you out x

Back