New to this, little disappointed :(

spd

Hi all
I'm new to this and 3 weeks into Slimming World which I absolutely love doing, I like doing extra easy. First 2 weeks lost 2.5 pounds per week however this last week gained 0.6 of a pound which is making me feel a little disappointed. I have not gone over syns but am thinking perhaps my portion sizes are too big? I would love to hear from anyone else if this has happened. Trying not to 'fall off the wagon' here and buy bad stuff .. I am trying to get to my ideal weight of 11 stone I am now 12.1.8. :confused:

Thanks Bye

I've done SW for 4 years and theres been plenty of weeks where I've gained for no reason, for example I gained 1lb this week, i was perfectly on plan, water intake was fine...only difference to normal, i went the gym one extra time in the week.

First though look and make sure you have having everything you should be and following the plan as you should. Try looking at some of these.

1. You say your portions are too big? Are they? Are you eating until you are stuffed? Or just until you are satisfied, if you are satisfied then your portion is fine
2. Are you drinking plenty of water and fluid?
3. Are you not having enough syns? Make sure you have between 5 and 15 a day, maybe aim for 10 so you are in middle
4. Is it that time of the month? Some women gain with it others don't
5. Have you suddenly increased exercise or introduced it? It can take a few weeks for you to readjust
6. Are you having 3rd superfree? Ideally you should have 3rd superfree with every meal

Oh I'm so glad I found this thread. I joined the forum a week ago and SW 5 weeks ago, and today was WI day, and I've stayed the same as last week.:sigh: All day I've talked myself OUT of being disappointed, it's just that I can't think of a reason why. I'm so determined I've stuck strictly to plan, I have 1 night out a week, which is also Thursday, and I calculate for that so I can have a drink (1 pint in all(lager and lime) and a bite)...not a meal, tonight was just 2 x1/4 sandwiches e.g. so I save my syns so am well and truly covered.Plus I have a whole week to make up for it. I DO struggle to get my syns in every day so when I have a salad for my tea, I've added 2 ryvita spread with an extra light cheesy triangle.....everything else has been the same over a 4 week period............and I've stuck.......I'm WAY past having a monthly excuse, so can you tell me what other reasons there could be please? :sign0163: thank you xx

Hmmm. Tricky. Are you guessing your syns at all? Sometimes assumptions can scupper you.,. some fat free yogurts might as well be chocolate bars!

Do you write everything down, not just your syns?

Also, sometimes a body takes a while to get on board. I've seen it in group. It's like it holds on to the last minute! If you are on the plan you will lose... It might just take a little longer to get going. This takes a lot of willpower and dedication from the slimmer, but as long as your plate is filled with yummy things you should be able to keep going-- and you WILL show a loss. Guaranteed. :)

Oh I'm so glad I found this thread. I joined the forum a week ago and SW 5 weeks ago, and today was WI day, and I've stayed the same as last week.:sigh: All day I've talked myself OUT of being disappointed, it's just that I can't think of a reason why. I'm so determined I've stuck strictly to plan, I have 1 night out a week, which is also Thursday, and I calculate for that so I can have a drink (1 pint in all(lager and lime) and a bite)...not a meal, tonight was just 2 x1/4 sandwiches e.g. so I save my syns so am well and truly covered.Plus I have a whole week to make up for it. I DO struggle to get my syns in every day so when I have a salad for my tea, I've added 2 ryvita spread with an extra light cheesy triangle.....everything else has been the same over a 4 week period............and I've stuck.......I'm WAY past having a monthly excuse, so can you tell me what other reasons there could be please? :sign0163: thank you xx

Hi, you say you are struggling to eat your syns...this could be the problem. SW is calculated to incorporate some syns into the plan, cutting back on them or not eating them for whatever reason seems to have the opposite effect on your weight loss. I thoroughly recommend you keep a food diary and you MUST have syns. If you don't get them in separately, have cheese on your meal or use oil in cooking etc as a way to get them in.:)

Some people also save syns for a treat at the weekend and calculate them over a week rather than a daily basis. For others this doesn't work and the weight loss fails. If this is the case you must look at daily syns only.

If you are struggling, post a typical day's food diary on here so we can have a look and give you feedback. I know it's so frustrating at times, but don't forget we are all here to help and support each other. Good luck x :D

Hi Ladies, yes I keep a daily diary, don't really put it on here because I'm so boring...but am learning. I put every last crumb down that I eat, and before I just came on here, my counsellor rang me, to make sure I wasn't too disappointed. I'm sure some people would just give in after following the plan 100%.....but I'm too determined to lose, I won't give up. She said I've had 3 weeks of good losses, and my body is just settling in. As for my syns, I felt like I was adding things just for the sake of eating them, when I wasn't really THAT hungry. Only change I've made is adding 2 ryvitas with a cheesy triangle,with my salad and that works out as 4 syns, but boosts my intake. I'm a cheese addict....so I haven't bought any!!Cheese on toast....well oozing OFF the toast has always been my downfall, there's only me, so if I felt peckish, I wouldn't cook, I'd have 2 slices of toast and cheese and enjoy every mouthful.
Typical day...not yesterday as I was out, but the previous day

B. 1/2 pink grapefruit, 2 sm. W/M bread with a cheesy triangle, spread with marmite and topped with cucumber
D.Mince casserole....extra lean mince, boiled and drained of all fat, mushrooms, celery, 1/2 tin toms, carrots and onions, then 1/3rd plate filled with broccolli and cauli, stockpot or stock cube.
(this makes 4 dinners, so have 1, freeze the rest)
T.prawn salad....plate filled with allsorts, celery, cucumber, chinese leaves, tomatoes, spring onions, beetroot, prawns. Measure if I have salad cream light, or sprinkled with low fat dressing. (I syn the salad cream)
snacks, always fruit, or chopped celery, and /or/ a Mullerlite, also syned.
daily milk allowance, have semi skimmed HE A, and the 2 slices of toast at breakfast HE.B
and there's hardly any syns!...so that's why I sometimes add the ryvita.
I know I'm going to have weeks with STS, and probably gains, I suppose I did so well the first 3 weeks, didn't change anything and didn't lose, was a bit of a shock.
Any help and advice would be gratefully accepted.
:thankyou:

Have a chocolate bar or a packet of crisps! Something you fancy. I know it seems counter intuitive but it works. Fudge or freddo or walkers lights... A little treat to keep you happy.

I also find that if I don't have what I want (and you can eat A TON of Parmesan for 15 syns...) then I eat more of everything else. You can have cheese, just measure it.

If you eat what you have written down for the week you wil definitely definitely lose. I just think you will sustain the plan ( and so ultimately lose more) if you enjoy your syns x x

Yes I keep a diary...had to hand them in up to this week, so have started my own today, just had a Mullerlite with strawberries and a hifi light bar. Don't want to go mad today, have to rid myself of last nights lager!! (and sandwiches) trouble was, I didn't even really enjoy them..and couldn't wait 2 hours till I got home! I've had that or similar for the last 4 weeks...I do LURVE my casseroles and hot pots...it's this bloomin' weather, anything to warm me up! x

forgot to ask...I see a lot of people have fish sticks for snacks, can you tell me what they are please? x

Your food diary looks fine to me. So it has to be a process of elimination and the first to begin with is the syns. It could be something simple like a hot chocolate drink in the evening or something alcoholic. If not you could add something synful in your meals and cut back on the quantities on your plate if you're too full. The thing is you do need the syns and if you don't get them in you will have nothing to cut back on if you do get to the plateau stage.

It's great you have such a positive attitude and this is what will get you through. Don't overly worry, I STS the second week and have done on other occasions despite always following the plan, so I think it's perfectly normal for your body to take some time to adjust to things.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't read your bit down the side Jeanne..."CHAMPION BISCUIT DUNKER!! every time I see that, I can hear my Foxs' Creams, and choc digestive yelling at me that they need dunking....oooh! Haven't opened the packets yet because my Grandies are on holiday...always keep the biscuits topped up for when they come!
I'm going to have to leave the room when they get the tin out! lol.
I have to say, I'm getting a bit obsessed, I think my first thought every day, is what I'm going to have to eat! I'm not obsessing about goodies or naughties though...so that's one good thing!
I've just wrtten on my diary thread, what I'm having today, and realised at the end...there were only 2.5 syns......I just seem to forget all the time, but know you're right, I should have them.
Oh crab sticks Puppet...I was thinking fish fingers without the batter...duh! and wondering how they stayed in one piece...sometimes I can be so dense!!
Have a good day all xx
:wavey:

Last edited:
Apologies, that should read ex-champion biscuit dunker. The days of tea and scoffing half my body weight in fig rolls, digestives, bourbon creams and the like are a distant but fond memory ......... :sigh:

I totally forgot about crab sticks!! I LOVE them thank you for reminding me!!

I've only been doing SW 3 weeks this time round but I found when I did it a few years ago if I had a pants week then the week after was usually great. Its weird and unexplainable but the main thing is not be disheartened and not to read too much into it. Hang in there because it WILL pay off.

That sounds patronizing and lame...I'm sorry! I have friends that have a slow weigh in then give up before the next one so they don't get to see my theory but I'm sure of it.

:D Fish sticks without the batter :D

Oh don't apologise Jeanne...trouble is with dunking...they seem to disappear so quickly, you open the packet, and dunk just one...and the next thing you know (or should I say KNEW) was there was only 1 left in the packet!!:sigh:
Oh I don't think you sound patronising at all. My counsellor rang me yesterday to check I wasn't down in the dumps and thinking of giving up NO WAY!! I think they must come across it a lot, people can get disheartened SO quickly, and places like this are a Godsend really, because I haven't read anywhere yet that people have lost every single week...it's something just on that day, so you move on. I gave myself a good talking to...especially sitting next to someone who lost 8 lbs in their first week, didn't stick to plan at all the second...and STILL lost 3lbs! Mind, she's not long had a baby...so she WILL lose quickly. That's why I'm so glad I joined because people pop on and say about themselves and like you, add a bit of support. every little bit helps doesn't it? xx

Well you sound like you are most def in the mindset to make this work(excluding the biscuits issue) How nice of her to ring you to check on you that's really lovely, mine wouldn't so you have a good egg there!! That is also a fantastic point re not reading anywhere someone consistently loosing weight EVERY SINGLE WEEK, I shall be pointing that out to anyone who will listen.
I do think this site is becoming rather addictive! I'm deliberately not getting the app or I'll never get anything done!

I think I needed to read it for myself, and it's something that really does help. Some people have huge weight losses in their first week, I just read someone had lost over 2 stones in 3 weeks!.. I lost 3, 3, then 2.1/2, and then nothing...but I'm still 8.1/2 lbs lighter than I was so it's all good.
Tell me about the addiction, I come on thinking 10 minutes and an hour later I'm still here, especially now people are introducing themselves, helping me and chatting...it's great. the group all say she's the best counsellor they've had, I think she moved from a different group. She writes to us on FB and does a weekly email or text too...and there are 70 members. It's almost like going to a coffee morning! xx

Back