New US surgeon general criticised for her weight

Jim

Big Boy
President Barack Obama's nomination of Regina Benjamin as America's surgeon general has faced a barrage of criticism from medics who claim she is setting a bad example because of her weight.

Hmmm, what do you think?

LINK HERE

Interesting one, Jim. I really don't know... she doesn't look humungous in her picture, but I'd guess she's a fair bit overweight. I suppose if the top doc in the country developed diabetes due to their diet it'd make a bit of a mockery of any public health campaign they lent their weight to (pardon the pun!).

Then again, I think it's possible to carry extra weight and be very respectably healthy and have a clean lifestyle for the most part. Everyone has a vice, after all, and so long as her weight isn't spiralling out of control, liking your food really isn't the worst of the weaknesses. I'm sure she'll get more than the usual level of flack mainly because she's a woman and she's black.

I do think it'd be an idea for her to shed a few pounds just as an example - she's in such a prestigious position that she could do a lot of good by shining a spotlight on healthy eating. I know that Obama said he was going to kick the chain-smoking habit once he gained the White House... but hey, how much right does the nation have to dictate what public figures do in their private time?

Mixed feelings on this one for me. I find the whole argument someone disturbing as its almost a form of discrimination.

Most of me thinks that it doesn't matter what size she is, although there is a part that thinks, okay, perhaps she should be better than most of us (generalisation of us). There's so much more to that job though than being a figurehead! I doubt most people would look to her as an example, more likely looking to the likes of Victoria and David Beckham. Let's face it, over my many years of visiting different doctors, some of them have been smokers, fat, probable alcoholics and one even murdered an still unaccountable number of old ladies! Not sure I, for one, see the likes of the Health Secretary as a guide in my life either.

This is a tough one. Yes, ok the woman is overweight…but she’s also got great ‘health’ credentials, from what I read.

The thing is, we all know what we should be doing to lose weight, whatever the diet/fitness plan. Actually doing it is another matter. No matter who we are, we still have our food demons to conquer and saying the right things is very different to doing the right things.
I know I give out some pretty good advice sometimes...but I am a sod for not following it sometimes!

I agree with Laura C – wouldn’t it be good to see her start a weight loss journey, with her new, high-profile job as a massive incentive, and the country could see her battle of the bulge and hopefully be inspired by her drive to get healthy?

It's the old prejudices coming out...

fat/overweight = unhealthy, lazy, stupid etc
slim/'normal' weight = healthy, active etc

Neither of these beliefs is necessarily true and to accept them as fact is dangerous, not to mention offensive. It is a fact that maintaining a stable, larger weight is healthier than yo-yoing up and down all the time. It is also true that some slim people maintain their 'healthy' weight/appearance by laxatives, vomiting, etc.

I hope that these myths are knocked on the head and this woman can be left to get on with her job.

It's the old prejudices coming out...

fat/overweight = unhealthy, lazy, stupid etc
slim/'normal' weight = healthy, active etc

Neither of these beliefs is necessarily true and to accept them as fact is dangerous, not to mention offensive. It is a fact that maintaining a stable, larger weight is healthier than yo-yoing up and down all the time. It is also true that some slim people maintain their 'healthy' weight/appearance by laxatives, vomiting, etc.

I hope that these myths are knocked on the head and this woman can be left to get on with her job.

Agreed!!

I've had treatment in hospital where I've been looked after by nurses, easily 25/30 stone. I've also been treated by nurses who had obviously had been smoking and stunk of stale smoking.

ok this is a very difficult situation jim , but a interesting one.. i think anyone should be given respect if they are in a job and not discriminated.. but the job she has been given is the spokesperson for healthy living so she should appear to be healthy?? well im not too sure i think maybe people should stop going on what people look like and worry about themselves we all know whats right and wrong..and i think its time to change steriotypes.

fopr health reasons maybe she should loose some weight but not because of pressure..

Hmmm, it's sort of "Do as I say, not as I do" situation Punkiii

Back