New Xenical user

artymum

Hello all

I'm new to this site and haven't a clue what to do or where to go (originally posted this in the Newbie area and now realised there is a separate area for us Xenical users :)).

I am due to start taking Xenical tomorrow and am really worried about the side effects and what I should be eating to stop them :confused:

I have a serious amount of weight to lose and feel totally overawed at the massive(!) task ahead of me.

As well as the weight issue I am a type 2 diabetic using Lantus insulin and metformin and I also have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and use a CPAP machine :(

I very much doubt whether there is anyone else in my situation but I would really love to hear from anyone out there struggling with their weight.

Hi Artymum and welcome to the site. Keep coming in and posting with your progress, for support or just to vent. The girls on the xenical forums are nice and there are alot of people on various sections of this site really struggling with their weight and other health problems, so please don't feel alone.
I used to be on xenical, but to be honest it wasn't the best thing for me to be doing at the time as my head wasn't really into the right place to be losing weight then. There are loads of people that have found great success using xenical (have a look at their pics, amazing!) and in terms of what you can eat I do reccommend it.
At the top of the xenical forum there are things called "stickys". In one of them written by Pinkpunkii, I think, sorry if this is wrong, she explains all about what you can eat and how to stick within fat limits to avoid side effects. I think I had side effects once and I have to say it wasn't that bad.
If unsure, start a thread. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone needs to ask questions from time to time. So give it a go and well done for making the desicion to start, and good luck on your journey

Sorry the sticky to look for is "Xenical info for new starters" by Piink_Punkstarr- had to give her credit, she did amazing and the posts really helped me when I started

Firstly WELCOME!!!

and you are not alone!! we are all here for you, and you should try and get hold of Piinks story.. (she has a thread prob a fair few pages on, i will try and dig it up and bump it up..)
she has done amazing, and like you had a lot to lose, and is most peoples around here's inspiration... :)

ask as many questions as you can...

stick to the 5g per 100g of fat rule (anything under is fine, anything over you might get side effects)
exercise is key! no matter if its just walking to the nearest post box, or doing an intense workout like Jillian.... its all going to help you majorly!!!

let me get that thread and find it... (might take me an hour or so as i have to take the little one i look after to swimming.. so after 2 pm if no one has done it already ill get it up)

REMEMBER YOU CAN DO THIS!

Wecome Artymum! You are most definitely not alone!

Exercise, or lack of it, was my great enemy, obviously, my food habits were terrible, but my complete lack of motivation to move, and to drive the smallest of distances was getting beyond a joke, so like Kes says, just that small amount of walking, even if it's just a few lampposts, then perhaps going an extra lamppost when you are ready all makes a difference.

The fact that you have logged on here and beared your soul shows that you are ready to do this.

Everyone on here is so friendly and supportive, they have been a massive help to me, and I'm sure they will be to you too.

Good luck on your journey - your' gonna love it!!

I would just like to thank you all so much for your advice and support, it means a lot to me.

I feel very confident at the moment (day 1 LOL) but I am sure that I will need support and advice sometime soon.

There are some really inspiring stories on this site and I would really like to be one of them in the future!

Welcome, Artymum and I'd just like to agree with what everyone else has said. We're all here for the same reason so know exactly what you are going through. Losing even a small amount of weight is going to make a HUGE difference to all of your health problems so well done you for taking this step. It's nice here because it's anonymous, you can say what you like and nobody is going to judge you. I find the people round me in "real life" try hard to be supportive but don't really understand what I'm going through so that's why I'm here. Take it in small chunks, say half a stone at a time and reward yourself each time you reach that goal. They will soon add up and before you know it you will be well on your way. Follow the Xenical rules and you can't go wrong and don't listen to horror stories you hear about side effects. You will ONLY get those, unpleasant as they are if you break the rules. So, no food which contains more then 5g of fat per 100g and no more than 45g of fat in any one day.
Good luck, post early, post often and we'll be here cheering each other on!

KB

goodluck artymum, you can only give it your best. dont lose faith, and come on here as often as you can, its a really helpful friendly place, and really helps to keep me going at times when i just want to give up.
also, its not for everyone, but lots of people on here use myfitnesspal to log food and excercise etc, its really useful for tracking your diet.
good luck xx

hiya and welcome to the forum.:)

we are all in here for the same reason and will do all we can to help you settle in.
this forum has really helped me stick to my diet and kept me going.

i have lost steadily with zenical and just wish i had asked the doctor for them years ago.
the thought of what might happen if i go off the rails is enough to keep me eating low fat constantly.

keep in touch and let us know how you go and just ask if you're not sure about anything :)

Back