New Year... New Start - onwards and downwards.

I don't want to do Slim and Save anymore! I hate how restricting it is to having any form of social life. Can't see Aaron this weekend now as he has got loads of uni work to do so what can I do instead? Well nothing really. I can't visit the few friends I have nearby really, all they want to do involves food or alcohol normally. I can't go and visit friends because I can't really do that and have S&S packs. Sometimes just feel so torn between doing S&S and losing the weight quickly and actually having some form of life and this is one of those times.

Really? I can't believe you haven't got a single friend who would go on a nice country walk with you. Maybe have a skinny latte and a bar afterwards. Do none of your friends have a dog? Even meet a friend for a swim or sign up with borrowmydoggy and start your training? Or you can go to a pub and order a bottle of water you know? You have the whole weekend free now (I know it's not ideal but you can go out) so you could drive and visit someone you haven't seen for a while, again taking a bar and just having a coffee. Go to the sea? And if you really are pushed, you can go to an Indian restaurant and have tandori chicken, which is usually served with just lettuce and no rice. I found that never affected my losses. I had the odd problem when it was a birthday bash or the odd friend who wanted to go out drinking on a Saturday night but have plenty who would be more likely to prefer a walk than a drink on a Sunday afternoon. Maybe you need to join the Ramblers or make some more friends? It's not that bad. You are far less likely to put the weight back on when you come out of diet 'hibernation' if you can find ways around this now.

Yes, really! I'm not just taking it up to sound like a pathetic loser, I just am lol I only moved here in October and haven't really met anyone here as I don't work here, don't go to the pub 3-4 times a week and don't go to church. My nearest friends are almost an hour away and there's only a few there, most moved away for uni. Though I have no issues going to a pub and drinking diet coke, it's not particularly fun later in the evening when they're all pissed and you're stone cold sober. I don't really get drunk though. Combine all that with growing up in London and not here and it gives me friends who aren't local or easy to just pop and see. Work is 50 miles away and although I get on really well with some of the staff, they're pretty much all 50+ without anyone even close to my age. So yes, there really isn't anyone lol

I know exactly how you feel about Slim and Save, I get these feelings all the time, but i know it's the only way I'll lose weight, I have been thinking of switching to the 2/5 diet and I've even bought the book, I think could manage 2 days diet and 5 normal, and I think that this could be the way for me to maintain.

Could you not join a local gym, and go to classes, you would eventually meet people there, although I guess you are normally busy with school work. You travel a long way to work, maybe when you get a new job you may meet others a similar age to you.

That's the thing, normally week days are filled with school and a 50 mile trip each way commute, weekends are normally filled with seeing Aaron. It's just times like this where I'm left wondering what to do. I'm going to give the gym a call but to be honest, they're useless. They have extremely poor opening hours which makes it difficult to visit when I'm at school and there aren't many classes.

I've heard about the 2/5 diet but I think it was 5 diet days and 2 normal days, which solves my issue of weekends. I think if we actually did that every week we'd be fine cos one week I'll gain 2-3lb but then I'll lose 7lb the next, so averaging 2lb a week which isn't that bad really. Just worked out that I've lost an average of 2.6lb a week since starting, considering I've had a weekend in Blackpool, Valentines Day and a few other naughty weekends and some just unexplained low weeks, that's not really that bad. It's still better than I'd have done on say Slimming World or calorie counting, just need to stay focused now as I'd like to have those 3-3.5lb a week losses now.

Dinner at my sisters tonight for my mum's birthday, going to take some salmon and swede and have that with a little salad. Will have another family dinner next week so I'll probably have a similar plan then. There will be dessert on offer so I'll either take a bar or a shake to make into a mousse. Sometimes I wonder if I should tell them I'm doing S&S, maybe it would make it easier but then I remember the lectures and concerns I got before, which were out of genuine concern, but I just can't be bothered with them again. I think they'd be happier knowing I do a meal with it though, I know my mum is, she doesn't mind it now. In fact, I'm amazed that she's not told everyone, she did last time! I just told my sister that we're keeping it low carb, which we are for protein meals, and that seems to have helped and she's been really supportive with asking what I can have and arranging an alternative for me.

Yes, really! I'm not just taking it up to sound like a pathetic loser, I just am lol I only moved here in October and haven't really met anyone here as I don't work here, don't go to the pub 3-4 times a week and don't go to church. My nearest friends are almost an hour away and there's only a few there, most moved away for uni. Though I have no issues going to a pub and drinking diet coke, it's not particularly fun later in the evening when they're all pissed and you're stone cold sober. I don't really get drunk though. Combine all that with growing up in London and not here and it gives me friends who aren't local or easy to just pop and see. Work is 50 miles away and although I get on really well with some of the staff, they're pretty much all 50+ without anyone even close to my age. So yes, there really isn't anyone lol

Well, I know I would think nothing of driving a 2 hour round trip to see a friend -- especially as you can't eat or drink when driving!

So what would you do this weekend if you weren't on a diet? You need to think about this because a diet is for life not just for weight loss, believe me. If you go back to your old ways of 'normal' eating it will go on, twice as fast as it came off.

Morning Caz,

Somewhere I suggested you go out and get some scrapbook supplies and start prepping pages for your scrapbook. Do some Pre-made layouts. Lots of ideas on the Internet. (Trip book)

The 2 day diet is simply that diet for 2 days eat normally for 5, that doesn't mean you can gp mad and eat rubbish, but eat sensibly, I may use S&S for the diet days when I switch, but sometime last year Mel posted a like to the "milk diet" which is another version so I may do that.

I guess you could do S&S for 5 days and low carb for 2 days, and providing you didn't eat loads of rubbish you would still lose weight, and it would solve the problem of weekends. I tell everyone I'm low carb-ing much easier than telling people about S&S and getting lectures from them about how unhealthy it is etc

Well, I know I would think nothing of driving a 2 hour round trip to see a friend -- especially as you can't eat or drink when driving!

So what would you do this weekend if you weren't on a diet? You need to think about this because a diet is for life not just for weight loss, believe me. If you go back to your old ways of 'normal' eating it will go on, twice as fast as it came off.

Well you might not but I do! I already drive 500 miles a week just for school. I don't really want to drive two hours just to do for a diet coke for a couple of hours. I know that weight loss is for life and just because it's difficult to, in these circumstances, find things that don't involve any food or drink doesn't mean that I'm going to put all the weight back on. Going out for food or eating socially doesn't have to be high calorie or bad for me, I know fully well how to go out and eat sensibly. However with S&S even sensibly isn't possible.

Morning Caz,

Somewhere I suggested you go out and get some scrapbook supplies and start prepping pages for your scrapbook. Do some Pre-made layouts. Lots of ideas on the Internet. (Trip book)

Like that idea but don't think I'm as creative as you are! Will look into it though. Going to get a new book to read too.

The 2 day diet is simply that diet for 2 days eat normally for 5, that doesn't mean you can gp mad and eat rubbish, but eat sensibly, I may use S&S for the diet days when I switch, but sometime last year Mel posted a like to the "milk diet" which is another version so I may do that.

I guess you could do S&S for 5 days and low carb for 2 days, and providing you didn't eat loads of rubbish you would still lose weight, and it would solve the problem of weekends. I tell everyone I'm low carb-ing much easier than telling people about S&S and getting lectures from them about how unhealthy it is etc

Ah ok, maybe there's two variations! I feel the same, telling them I'm low carbing means they understand what I can and can't eat but saves me lectures from people who don't really understand what it's about and that it's perfectly healthy.

Hi hun, sorry to hear the dieting malarkey is getting to you, it is horrible when that happens Caz {hugs}

You must be feeling a bit down as you can't see Aaron this weekend, perhaps you can still chat/txt skype? during his workload?..just to break the boredom for you? other times, go pamper yourself this weekend, hair, bubble bath, manicure, pedicure....any more planning for your holiday? Log on here..if I was around this weekend, I would have had a nice long chat with you..sorry!

I hope you feel more comfortable and motivated by your diet plan soon hun, or if it is really bothering you, maybe relax the rules a wee bit at the weekend, or every 2nd weekend?

Good luck and enjoy your evening later :)

Thanks Rosie. I know it's worth it but it's just so awkward and restricting!

Probably talk in the evenings or when he's taking a break. I am disappointed not to get to see him but Slim and Save makes me more emotional for the first few days so was more disappointed by it then I would have been normally. I'll just have to find little things to do to keep me busy, will be fine. Might see if my sister and nieces want to go for a walk if it's not too cold.

I'm sure it'll be fine soon enough. Just got to get on with it!

Feeling a bit inspired by Mel, I might start making a 'Me and Aaron' scrapbook. Seems like a nice idea though one I may regret if we ever don't work out lol Not going to worry about that though, reckon we're in this for the long haul :) Not really sure where to start with the scrap book! Don't know what I need, where to even begin lol

Last edited:
Ooh a lot more expensive but I do really, really like it!

Yup, I'm sure. They had no international delivery costs, would probably have cost me a fortune though anyway.

Seen this one too - Scrapbook Album 12"x12" Adventure FAL08 | eBay Not completely decided on it though, really liked it, then wasn't sure lol

I've been collecting things for the seven years M and I have been together for a scrapbook - suppose I should buy a book and get started! Have a piece of Mount Snowdon (naughty, I know, but it was just laying there :D) as that's where he proposed - would love it to be something to show our kids one day so they can see all the places we've been before we take them too :D

Aww that's lovely Nef! Was it a romantic proposal? Feel free to tell me the story, I like proposal stories!! :D

Been a good day today. Arranged to go to Aqua Fit with my sister on Monday morning and then we're going to go every week on a Thursday evening. She's a bit overweight, probably a size 18, and wants to lose weight by eating healthy and exercising so it'll be good for both of us. She broke her ankle quite badly, twice in fact, a couple of years ago and has pins and plates so can't do anything too high impact, making aqua fit perfect.

Breakfast: Maple bar
Lunch: Chilli pack with slim spaghetti
Dinner: Shepherd's Pie
Evening dessert: Frozen choc mint shake

Cals: 666 (for such an evil number, they tasted so good!)
Carbs: 50g
Protein: 71g

Happy with that day, just about perfect for me I think. Tried the Slim Pasta that everyone raves about. Had the rice yesterday but couldn't finish it, it was too rubbery and reminded me of the texture of squid. Decided to give the spaghetti a go today and that was a lot better as it was thinner. I'm not going to have them all the time, they're £2 a pack! It'll be a nice treat every so often though, bulks meals out and will be nice for things like stir fry.

Shepherd's Pie.... yum!! As part of my pledge to make weekend food more interesting I decided to give making a S&S Shepherd's Pie a go, worked quite well I think. I browned off shallot and mushroom, added extra lean mince (121cal per 100g from morrisons) and a little water once cooked and then topped with 150g mashed swede. Cooked in the oven for 15 mins and voila. Used a little of the boiling water for the mash instead of milk, didn't need much. Seasoned with mixed herbs, salt and pepper. It was pretty but think next time I'd add a little beef oxo cube to the mince, maybe a little worcester sauce too.

SML diet, who are pretty much exactly the same as S&S, do Choc Mint shakes. Now, when I did Cambridge they were my absolute favourite so I was quite excited! They agreed to send me one to try and I've made it into an ice cream tonight. I had a little taste before putting it in and it is gorgeous! Have to say, don't mind the diet so much today :D

Last edited:
Yay look forward to hearing it. I reckon if Aaron ever proposes (if you're reading this, don't panic, I said IF!) it'll be sat on the sofa at home and I'll get a 'suppose we should get hitched or something then' :p

MFP tells me that if each day were like today I'd weigh 207lb in 5 weeks. 207lb/14st 11lb sounds rather nice actually! I'm going to do one official WI at the start of each month. I was 15st 13lb on the 1st April... wonder if I could be 14st 11lb on the 1st of May?!

Back