Newbie 40something!!!

JoLewis

Hi guys,

I've just registered on the site!! I'm 41 and finding it harder and harder to shift the extra weight that seems to have settled around my middle!!

At the beginning of this year I weighed 150lbs and was relatively happy apart from a need to tone up. I then decided to quit smoking!!! .... now 9 months later I weight 175lbs. I'm so disappointed in myself and feel horrible.

I have been blaming my gain on stopping smoking but now wonder is this the middle aged spread I was told to expect as I got older!! Any ideas??

I'm hoping I can make some new friends on the site and hopefully find some inspiration and motivation to kick start my weight loss.

Jo :p

Welcome.

I'm told the quitting smoking and putting on weight thing is a myth, other than the fact some people begin to snack instead of smoke. I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that kicking the habit brings about changes in your body that would mean it would put on weight? I could be wrong.

Fat around the middle, generally the first place it goes and last place it leaves unfortunately. I'm starting to sound like a broken record but look at some before and after pictures, read some diaries on here, look at the slideshow and decide who matches most your aspirations and follow them, take advice from them and it really will give you the boost you need to stick with it.

Good luck, lots of lovely people on here who want to help, some who are just starting out, some who are somewhere in the middle and some who have hit their target weight and stuck around.

Hi and welcome. But that's only 25 pounds you have to deal with so better you have decided to do something about it now rather than at say 100 pounds over.

So how are you going to tackle it?

Irene xx

hi

Hi Jo, I'm in my early forties and have realised that I can't eat like I used to.

I was a size 8/10 all of my adult life until around 5/6 years ago and the weight has steadily increased.

I knew if I didn't do something now about it I would find myself in two years time with even more weight and it would be even more difficult to do something about it.

For me, I have joined lighterlife lite and so far so good.

You need to have a good read up on the topics on this board and see what you think about which diet or plan would suit your budget, time and way of eating.

Then just go for it, you have nothing to lose but your weight!

As for the giving up smoking, well done, if you can do that then your next goal is to lose weight and you can do that to!

:)

Hi and welcome,,
Joined myself recently, the site has loads of stuff to read and I am still finding my way around

Ourlad
:)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your weight loss.

Hi Jo and :welcome2: to Minimins! I completely understand how awful it feels to put the weight on, you feel so disgusted at yourself for letting it go on in the first place - I put on 5 stone and feel completely sickened at myself, I've since lost 1 stone and am still losing so its not impossible.

I don't know much about middle age spread or being 41 as I am still only 25 but there are lots of people of all ages on here who will be able to help :D

I'll look forward to chatting with you and making a new friend on here. We're here to keep you motivated! Chat soon x

Good luck! I find quitting hard too. My friend has a technique that works for him. Wear a rubber band on your wrist and whenever you think of popping out for a fag, pull the band on your wrist and twang it so it gives you a little shock. Keep that up for a while and you find yourself going off the idea because you've trained yourself to think of that little shock along with a cig! Sounds a bit weird but he swears by it.

Back