Newbie alert! AWOOOOGA!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KookieDoh, 7 January 2010 Social URL.

1. KookieDoh

KookieDoh Ugly duckling going Swan.

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Slimming world
    Hi, I am brand spanking new.....

I never know how to do these introduction things so I will just tell you my story. Get the background bit over with!

I am a emotional eater. I have been suffering from extreme low self esteem since childhood. I have always seen myself as deformed and freakish facially starting from a very early age. Little did I know and have recently discovered, I suffer from a condition called BDD meaning when I look in the mirror, I see a very warped image of myself. Most people think BDD sufferers don't eat but you are just as likely to over eat as under eat! It's been a terrible cycle over the years. I gain weight because I feel deformed and I feel more deformed when I gain weight so I eat. I have tried to lose weight in the past and got fairly far but when I "realise" it does no good because it wouldn't change my face, I would reach for the food again and gain more weight. At the moment I am the biggest I have ever been, over 17st. This weight has jumped up because my mental condition has also and I am now mostly housebound due to crippling agorphobia brought on by the condition and I rely a lot on my family to look after me.

I have a better chance now to lose weight because unlike in the past, I now know I have this condition and I am getting some help for it which I never got in the past so I finally have a support system. I feel that if I can lose the weight, I can boost my confidence as well has helping me get over the agoraphobia side of my condition as maybe if I have a nicer body, I won't over worry about the "focus" on my face when I go out.

I also have another insentive. I have a very noticeable "uneveness" in my physical shape that doesn't help my confidence issues that could also be corrected via weightloss. Although my doctor and a surgeon despite my mental state have reccomended corrective surgery, my PCT can turn me down on the grounds of my weight and how it may be affecting it. Worse case, I am still uneven, I can be approved for surgery (I know it's not a perfect solution and trust me, I would really rather avoid it but I wouldn't be so quick to turn it down ether) and best case, the issue is solved without a knife in sight! Would prefer that to be honest.

My goal is to get to about 11st for Christmas day 2010. My doctor and I think that is rather achiveable - roughly 2 pound a week loss allowing for the odd week my weight may stick. Am starting from Saturday. A bit strange I know but I want to give myself a ease in!

Food wise, I am following the slimming world plan. I have tried other diets in the past and I think slimming world is good because of the superfree and free foods meaning I can fill myself up and I also want to eat for health so I like the way it has the extras and it's something I can see myself following for life which is important as I do get that changes must be made for life, not just until you are done.

Exercise wise, I have an wealth of DVDs and stuff from past attempts so I don't have to struggle with that and as I get braver to go out, I have a leisure centre on my doorstep!

Okay, I should wrap this up! A quick bit about me. I like music, retro fashion, and cute designs and my food weaknesses are KFC, sandwiches, cupcakes, and chocolate. I am very immature for my age which I apologise for in advance because of my sense of humour! I choose this forum to try because I have been online before and some forums to be honest are nasty and troll infested so I like the safe guards here and I can be pretty anonymous here!

Sorry to bang on! :D
    Last edited: 11 January 2010
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. IreneH

IreneH Gold Member

Hi and welcome. Good luck with SW. Hope to see you in the SW section

Irene xx
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.