Newbie and struggling...

cbear11

Hi everyone!

I'm another newbie and I must admit I've never done this before. I don't normally speak to people about my weight because it embarrasses me, but here I am hoping for some support.
I've struggled with my weight all my life. I currently weigh 14st 10lbs but I'm also a type 2 diabetic and need to get my weight down to control my sugars better.
I've been at the gym 5 days a week now and I'm seeing absolutely no improvement. I eat pretty healthily but my problem is that I really hate a lot of food that's actually good for me!
I have a wonderful husband who would do anything for me, but he has the appetite of a horse and barely ever gains weight. He's joined the gym with me too and he's looking amazing while I feel worse and worse every time I go.
My motivation is slipping away and I'm starting to feel really down. Does anyone have any advice? :(
Xx

I'd recommend reading through some of the success stories on here. They are really inspirational and you can follow people with a similar background to yourself. :)

What kind of foods do you dislike? I used to be a super picky eater and I've improved massively lately. I did it by including one item I didn't like (for example cabbage) when making a soup or a stirfry. Eventually you can get to even LIKE the foods you once hated! SERIOUSLY!!! I know it's hard to believe. I'm not saying you have to like everything - for example, I HATE mushrooms and just can't get used to them!

How long have you been going to the gym? Fair play to you! You've started and that's the hardest part. Exercise is important but diet is critical when it comes to weight loss. I used to think my eating habits were grand but it was only when I started properly researching nutrition and then sat down with a dietitian I realised how bad it was!

And stick with this forum, I only joined on Friday and I love it! It's a great community :) Full of info and inspiring stories and people. Great motivator!!!

Yeah I've been having a good browse at the other posts in the hope of finding some inspiration! Some people are actually amazing when you consider what they've achieved!

Haha, well my hated foods list is pretty endless but mainly includes vegetables which isn't a great start! I've been to the dietitian too recently so hopefully that might force me to try new recipes. I'll definitely try and do what you suggest though about introducing one thing at a time - fingers crossed I'll become a veg lover!!

Had to go with the gym idea because I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day and that's*definitely not helping! Been going for about a month now. Lost a couple of pounds in the first week but nothing since. Thought it was maybe because I was gaining muscle so tried the old measuring tape instead but no inches lost either! Difficult to work out where I'm going wrong...

Xx*

Did the dietitian go through your diet with ya? Maybe try keeping a food diary. I did and it helped me :) Maybe you need a specific diet plan in place? xxxx I've never been a veggie person either but TRUST me if I can improve so can you xxx I'm only allowed certain veggies on my diet at the moment - NO potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, sweetcorn (all because they're higher in carbs than I'm allowed at my stage) and they used to be the ONLY veg I would eat!

You're so good to keep going to the gym! Very impressed! 5 sessions a week too!!! I REALLY need to get the finger out! You might not be seeing the benefits yet but you will. You should ask one of the gym staff if they've any pointers and explain that you haven't seen any result in weight or measurements yet.

xxxx

Hi :) welcome to the forums! It's great here, lots of support and inspirational people :)

i know how you feel about the gym, what you have to remember is that when dieting 80% is down to your diet and 20% exercise. So basically going to the gym will only work with weight loss if your diet is spot on! Of course your helping your heart anyway by going to the gym. I think the main thing would be to keep an eye on your carb intake, make sure your having no more than 2 portions a day and, try eating a no carb dinner (if you go to gym I the evening) you have from lunch time onwards then too burn off your carb stores.

why not keep a food and exerciise diary and post a day or 2 o it on here and ask people's opinions!

Good luck :)

The dietitian was quite helpful I think, but she wants me to conform too quickly to the whole 5-a-day mentality and I'm just not there yet!

Thanks for the advice about the food diary, I'm gonna give that a shot for a while to see if it helps. Totally think it could be the carbs thing as well because I do eat mostly carbs throughout the day. Need to kick the habit..too addicted to cereal! :)

Next step is a personal fitness plan from the gym so maybe that will help. Just need to stay positive, I'm definitely my own worst enemy!

Xx

Back