Newbie and stuck!

JayGee

Hiya all

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I started new atkins on 9 June and felt great for the first 9 days, loads of energy and lost 8lbs. Though I'd cracked it. But since then I haven't lost anything but, worse, I've got no energy at all. I'm not hungry and haven't had cravings but feel a bit sick sometimes. Tried to go to the gym this morning (have been going for 3 years though not for last month) but could only do half my programme - had to give up as heart was going like a triphammer and I felt sick with shaky legs. Came home thinking I must give up atkins but having found this site yesterday - great place btw, loads of great advice - thought I'd see if any of you guys had experienced anything similar?

Thanks for reading :wave_cry:please help......

Hello & welcome. It sounds as if you have 'Atkins flu'. It will pass & your energy will come back. I've read that tests were done on professional cyclists who went low carb. For a month their strength & fitness dropped, but came back after as strong as ever. It's the body learning to use its own fat for energy.

On the queasy side, I've had days like this when I just can't face anything. Atkins does curb your appetite. I can only say, fro me the sickness went pretty quickly.

Good luck :D

Thanks Cinta I was hoping it might be 'flu' but was puzzled cos I felt so great at first. Guess I'll keep plodding on and see what happens. Have just ordered some ketostix - maybe I'll feel a bit more positive if I can see i'm in ketosis!

Sounds like a great cruise - anywhere nice? We love cruising, been on 2, but come back at least half stone heavier each time despite good intentions :eek:

It was, round the Med on Queen Victoria. It's so easy to put on weight on ship, lol.

Hiya all

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I started new atkins on 9 June and felt great for the first 9 days, loads of energy and lost 8lbs. Though I'd cracked it. But since then I haven't lost anything but, worse, I've got no energy at all. I'm not hungry and haven't had cravings but feel a bit sick sometimes. Tried to go to the gym this morning (have been going for 3 years though not for last month) but could only do half my programme - had to give up as heart was going like a triphammer and I felt sick with shaky legs. Came home thinking I must give up atkins but having found this site yesterday - great place btw, loads of great advice - thought I'd see if any of you guys had experienced anything similar?

Hi JayGee,
The bit I underlined is something that generally worries me. It usually happens when the body is missing the potassium/calcium combo due to the water loss of the body. If you don't already, try to eat things like spinach and avocado as they help replenish the body of those essential minerals. Also, may I ask if you are taking your supplements? Full spectrum vitamin and minerals?
Unfortunately I have to take extra B6 and B12 seeing as before Atkins I (for reasons I wont bore you with) had very low energy levels for a few years. B12 is an excellent energy booster, but it needs B6 (in a lesser dose) to balance itself.

However, supplements are essential in the initial stages of the diet. Arrhythmia is extremely serious and dangerous.

If however you are sure it was just a regular but fast heart beat, forgive my assumptions :)

Let us know when things improve for you.

Last edited:
Hiya all

are you having enough salt, before gym work have broth or salt does work

I'm a runner and in my 3rd week of Atkins, I too am not doing what i could normally do quite easily! I'm struggling with 3 miles flat when i can normally do 5 miles, some uphill.
I've gone to OWL now so am adding more carbs in, plus i'm tring to get more fat in me for energy.

I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully my body will adjust soon.

great advice above and am only commeting to say hi and welcome and that the whole situation gets better...

im not an exerciser!!! but for about a week couldnt even manage a full day at work withut feeling like sleeping at my desk. im ok now :D

Thanks everyone for the advice - haven't yet sussed how to get quotes from different replies (note to self - must look at tutorials and engage brain more!) so will do this the old fashioned way -

Guitarist Chick - thanks for the concern. Pretty sure it was a regular heartbeat. It went up as soon as I started & after 20 minutes I thought it best to stop! Am taking supplements tho haven't found a multi vit and mineral without iron. Taking multivit plus calcium/magnesium and also potassium and chromium. Will up the avocado/spinach - great advice thanks.:)

Stephen P - I reread Atkins book yesterday and saw the advice about broth so will try that next time. Does bovril count do you know? :confused:

Zimara - good to know it's not just me though sure I couldn't manage 3 miles. But then, I couldn't before! :D

Fattea - hi and I agree the site is brill. Let me know how you go with the ketostix - I thought they just showed colour?:confused:

Missy - ta for the welcome. I can relate to the sleepy bit!;) Good to hear you're ok now - I'm feeling brighter this morning but I haven't tried any exercise today! Far too hot anyway - not that I'm complaining:D

Hi Jaygee and welcome to our Atkins forum. :)

Back