NEWBIE! Help pretty please!! :)

Lozzy Gozzy

Silver Member
Hi everyone! :D

A little bit about myself...

Name's Lozzy, 21, and by the age of 16 I was 19 stone (266lbs/121kg)! Through a LOT of hard work I am now 11 stone 5lbs (159lbs/72kg) which was done through calorie counting... A few weeks ago I plateaued at 70.5kg/156lbs and that's when I decided I needed a break...

I've been thinking and admittedly I think I'm borderline bulimic (non-purging), so hence I'm here! I think Weight Watchers seems to promote a more healthy attitude towards eating, rather than being very restrictive and seems better for the long term... With calorie counting I was very in control which could sometimes be a bad thing because I would be quite excessive with my calories/exercise!

Soooo, I've come here for help! I would be so appreciative if people could answer a few questions for me! :) I know a fair bit about Weight Watchers and I know the general jist of it as I'm not new at all to weight loss! (I'm not going to meetings however I do have that little blue folder which seems very handy! :)). Here's my questions...

(1) Weight Watchers POINTS® Calculator is this a reliable points calculator??

(2) I've calculated my points to be 24...

Female [3]
21 [4]
11 stone 5lbs [11]
5'6" [2]
Walking most of the time [4 I spend every day at the gym]

Total = 24

However, when I was calorie counting my limit was 1100, usually less! So I personally feel 24 is going to be far too much for me and I will put on weight (I put on weight very easily, even eating 2000 calories like a normal woman should I put on weight after eating so low).

I know this is very frowned upon with weight watchers, but as a calorie counter at heart...

Say like a 1/2 point ww yoghurt is 50 calories, so I could have 48 of those a day to take me to my 24 point allowance, however, that's 2400 calories!! I know it doesn't typically work like that, but do you see where I'm coming from?

So, I've been looking at a lot of the food lists and generally the 1/2 point foods are 50 calories, so I was thinking of for the first two weeks to have about 16 points allowance a day (stereotypically 1600 calories), so it's not too big an intake from going from my measly 1100 calories a day!

Does that sound okay by people??

If I feel hungry on this amount I'll fill on "free foods" or up my points :)

(3) I'm a MASSIVE gym fan! I'm there everyday, can someone pretty please explain activity points?? I probably will save them, rather than eat them, but it'd be nice to know how they work :)

(4) Can you literally eat anything?? Like fruit pastilles are 2.5 points a roll, I could eat like 6 packets a day for 15 points and it'd still work???

(5) Has anyone else switched from calorie counting to weight watchers??

(6) How have people done in their first week? Is it usually a success?

Pretty please, any answers to these would be so much help! And I'd really appreciate it!!!!

Hope to hear from you soon! :)

Lozzy :p x

hi lozzy
i am lorna and just joined here yesterday i am sorry i can answer ur questions as i have just join ww too i have my 1st weigh in today so cant help with the 1st week thing either but i have heard the calculator is a great thing and waiting on my coming anyway i just ant to say hello welcome u and wish u well on the switch from calories to point may it will be trial and error not sure all the ladies here seam lovely i hope one of them can help xx

Personally I wouldn't use the 4 points for walking most of the time because of gym trips. They are starting to move away from this at all as your body get used to whatever activity it has. But if it is to be used it is for things like postmen who literally walk fast around an 8 hour shift! You certainly can't use this and activity points. I would perhaps stick to 20 points and then keep Activity points for if you really need them. I'm sure yu'll do well on that.

Well done on your fantatic weight loss so far. That is an awesome achievement!

hi lozzy
i am lorna and just joined here yesterday i am sorry i can answer ur questions as i have just join ww too i have my 1st weigh in today so cant help with the 1st week thing either but i have heard the calculator is a great thing and waiting on my coming anyway i just ant to say hello welcome u and wish u well on the switch from calories to point may it will be trial and error not sure all the ladies here seam lovely i hope one of them can help xx

Hi Lorna! :)

Thankyou for the welcome and the wishes! I hope you do brilliantly on WW (I'm sure you will! :p) Let me know how you get on with your first week weigh in!

Good luck! :D x

Personally I wouldn't use the 4 points for walking most of the time because of gym trips. They are starting to move away from this at all as your body get used to whatever activity it has. But if it is to be used it is for things like postmen who literally walk fast around an 8 hour shift! You certainly can't use this and activity points. I would perhaps stick to 20 points and then keep Activity points for if you really need them. I'm sure yu'll do well on that.

Well done on your fantatic weight loss so far. That is an awesome achievement!

Hi! :D

Thanks ever so much for replying! I really appreciate it! :)

Aw thankyou! Still got a way to go but not too far now! :p

That all sounds good to me! I had read in a few places just to ignore the activity bit when you're calculating how many points you should have a day, so that's exactly what I shall do! :)

How long have you been doing WW?? And what are your losses like??

Hope you're having a fun bank holiday monday!! :)

x

i'd ignore the activity points also,,think most people do,,i only lost 1/2 a pound my first week and 1lb the second,,i was expecting huge losses but themn it's mainly only water the first week and i had already lost weight myself before joining i'm there ocver 2 months now and have lost weight ever single week no matter how small i've still lost and reached a stone last week and was thrilled,,good luck on your journey x

Hi everyone! :D

Say like a 1/2 point ww yoghurt is 50 calories, so I could have 48 of those a day to take me to my 24 point allowance, however, that's 2400 calories!! I know it doesn't typically work like that, but do you see where I'm coming from?

Hope to hear from you soon! :)

Lozzy :p x
Hi lozzy
welcome to the WW forum and a great loss so far, hope you can reach your goal
re the calculation on the above WW yogs i calculate my food on a daily basis ie i allow 4 slices of bread per day and work that into my alloted points/meals.
as for the yog calc if you work the 48 yoghurts out as a daily intake they would equate to 34.5 points !
From my limited knowledge of WW its about saturated fat intake as well as calories giving you the freedom to eat anything so long as you "point " it, and of course portion control
hope this helps (and makes sense)

i'd ignore the activity points also,,think most people do,,i only lost 1/2 a pound my first week and 1lb the second,,i was expecting huge losses but themn it's mainly only water the first week and i had already lost weight myself before joining i'm there ocver 2 months now and have lost weight ever single week no matter how small i've still lost and reached a stone last week and was thrilled,,good luck on your journey x

Your losses look brilliant! You must be proud of yourself! :) And congratulations on the stone mark! :D

Thankyou for the reassurance :) I'm hoping WW will give me the steady losses I need, I'm not hoping for massive ones, because I think my body's past that phase, but just 1lb a week I would be so happy with! :)

x

Hi lozzy
welcome to the WW forum and a great loss so far, hope you can reach your goal
re the calculation on the above WW yogs i calculate my food on a daily basis ie i allow 4 slices of bread per day and work that into my alloted points/meals.
as for the yog calc if you work the 48 yoghurts out as a daily intake they would equate to 34.5 points !
From my limited knowledge of WW its about saturated fat intake as well as calories giving you the freedom to eat anything so long as you "point " it, and of course portion control
hope this helps (and makes sense)

Thankyouuuuu for the reply! :)

That sounds like a good idea :) I mean I would never binge on one type of food a day anyways! :p but was just wondering...

How do you calculate it to be 34.5 if they're only 0.5 points each? I read somewhere that if you have 2 of something you add on an extra half a point, would that be right?? So is that how you got 34.5?

Gosh you can tell I'm a newbie! :p

Thanks again for replying! :) x

hope the pic explains a bit easier than my explanation :)
calc.jpg
calc.jpg
rapidvw

Attachments

• calc.JPG
    calc.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 50
hey hun, welcome im only in my 1st week but already enjoying it (i lost 2 stone on cc but became a bit obsessive!) then had a break, put about 7lbs back on and then joined here.. its way more layed back. my little nugget of advice is get on ebay and get an electronic point counter (i got one from class) and the eat out book between these 2 tools ive not had any problems and have managed to eat out and stay within points.. im also doing fast start for my firstweek which is 18pts a day, 2 being spent on skimmed milk (1pint a day) so 16 for your meals.. this may give you a kick start before going on to 20 points.
good luck and let us know how u get on.. whens your weigh day?
nic xx

thanks for the wishes on my journey i wish the same to u and to let u know i had a great loss this week of 6.5lbs xx

Hey Lozzy, Im only in week three, and I confess, am only using 18-20 points out of my allowed 22 a day, and 2 of those are always milk.

I cant really help with all the questions, but I can wish you success, and congratulate you on the loss you have achieved already :) Which is a great inspiration!

Loooooooopy :p

Back