Newbie - lots to lose & a bit daunted!

Squee

Hiya, I've just noticed this bit of the site!

I'm currently 18st 12 and I aim to go down to 10st and a few pounds. Completely arbitrary figure, by the way, based on what I read was my ideal weight range (8st-11st), based on my height (5' 10")

This is my first week on the low-carb stuff and I'm not sure it will work! Though actually I'm enjoying it so far, which is part of the reason why I think it can't work!

I'm finding the idea of all that weight a bit daunting. I thought maybe making some mini-goals to concentrate on might be a good idea, for if I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

What sort of goals should I set, do you think? Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

~Emma

Hi honey and welcome, and you can do it, just take it one step at a time.

By the way, your stats give your height as 5' 8" x

Hello there Emma, welcome aboard :)

As you say it is very daunting, everyone is the same in that when you have a fair amount to lose it seems such a long way to go.

There are some great stories on this site in the success part and it's great to know however big the journey is it's not impossible to get there, and with alot of willpower you will get there. There will be ups and downs along the way I'm sure and when the downs do happen be sure to get back on track as soon as possible and not give in completely.

Anyway good luck on your journey :)

Hi Emma, welcome to the forums! :D Good luck with your diet. Just remember, it may seem long and daunting but in the end, the outcome will be worth it all :D :hug99:
x x

Hi :) and welcome :)

Don't think about the long run, think of the here and now. I started SW at 19st13lb and for my BMI I need to be around 10 stones - ridiculous idea for me. I felt the same way when I first started but now I've lost just over 2 stones and I find little steps made it happen for me - without me going into stress overload.

I set weight targets and other mini targets. You have to do what feels right for you - if setting mini goals and targets will help you stay focused and keep on track, go for it! What have you got to loose but weight?! :D

Here's a few examples of one's I've set in the past and future to give you an idea?

- Go to a weigh in meeting/ group
- Commit to staying to group and to meetings - I'm worth the one hour a week
- Talk in group/meeting
- Take my measurements every 4 or 6 weeks
- Get under 19 stone
- Loose 1/2 stone
- Make my size 22 jeans baggy
- Get under 18 stone
- Loose 1 stone
- Try not to step on the scales more than once a day
- Try not to step on the scales between weigh ins
- Get under 17 stone
- Wean myself off two sweetners to one
- Wean myself off one sweetner to none
- Try one new sweet recipe a week
- Try one new savoury recipe a week

Hope this kind of helps :)

Really good tips Bex. Thanks for that.

Hello squee. Good luck with everything. I have about the same amount to lose. It's daunting but I know its not impossible!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Hey squee,

I also want to get down to 10 stone 5lbs, when I started sw 12 weeks ago I weighed 19 stone 5.5lbs and I have lost 2stone 6lbs so far.

I set mini goals for myself like bex said my next is to get my 3 stone award, then its to get into the 15 stone bracket hopefully by Christmas!

X x x

I've set losing a stone to be my first mini-goal, and I'll work from there I think!
Got to be careful though - it's my birthday on Wednesday and my good friend is coming to visit me in a couple of weeks - we normally drink a lot! I think I'll be ok though - chosen tapas for the birthday dinner and decided to stock up on red wine rather than lager for my friend.

Bex's idea of setting goals OTHER than just 'weight' related is a good one.

One of my goals is to be able to zip up a waterproof jacket I bought in a charity shop ... I'll KNOW I'm thinner once I can do that :)

It's all very well seeing the numbers going down on the scales but that's only one indicator as to how you're progressing. Using other things to gauge it can help when maybe the numbers aren't inspiring you as much as you'd like.

Good luck on your journey x

I agree. Be wary of relying totally on what the scales say. My goals are based round the scales, but also round my clothes. Being able to fit into jrans I bought ages ago and were too small. Being able to button up my cardigan.

I also base mine around exercise. Doing so many lifts and swings with kettlebell. Achieving a lower weight for safer running etc etc.

No problem :) yep I always set non weight based goals. Keep me on track even when the scales don't say what I feel they should xx

Back