Newbie with hypothyroidism-Help!!

Kb88

Hi, im a 5'7 female and was diagnosed with an under active thyroid when i was 16 (i suspect it had gone undiagnosed for a good few years prior to this). Since then i've gradually increased my levothyroxine to 150mg. Ive always had problems with my weight and lost around 2 stone 3 years ago however even with numerous diets since my weight loss seems to have stopped at 14 1/2 stone and however hard i try i cannot seem to get bellow this, i did get down to 13 st 9 on the attack phase of the dukan diet but as soon as i started to introduce vegetables back into my diet the weight crept back up. I do eat quite alot of pasta and rice so i thought maybe a low carb diet may help (sticking to around 70g of carbs per day) but ive read that this can have an adverse effect on your thyroid function. Id obviously rather this didnt happen as i dont want my health to deteriorate and also id like to start exercising alot more than i am at the moment so dont want my energy levels to be effected. Can anybody offer me any advice on whether or not a low carb diet does have negative effects on your thyroid, or what has helped hypothyroid sufferers to loose weight (id like to loose 3 1/2 stone). Id appreciate any advice

Sorry I don't have thyroid problems, but I wish you good luck and welcome to this site

Welcome! :)

Hi there, I also have an under active thyroid and have struggled with the extra weight for years. Last year I managed to lose nearly 3st . I was so pleased with myself, but my levels fluctuated again, I'm currently on 250mg of levothryroxine and am finally feeling alive! But being inactive during those few months meant the weight piled on again, I've been following the slimming world online diet or just over a week and have lost over half a stone. I've been eating more than I normal as well, I found I didn't lose as much with WW but SW is working for me so far and I'm eating loads of carbs! I defiantly feel your pain though x

Back