Newbie :-)

Hi everyone!

Just stumbled accross this site, and it looked really supportive, So I thought I would join :)

My story is after gaining no weight through my pregnancy, I have put on 3 stone in a year since giving birth. Now my son is 1 I've decided enough is enought and no more excuses.

I work full time during the day, and my partner works nights and heads out the minute I get home, so going to the gym or weekly weigh ins isn't really an option at the minute :-(

So I have stocked up on fitness dvd's and decided to go down the calorie counting route to aid with my weight loss :)

So here's to no more excuses, to stopping being lazy, and getting off my bum to be a fitter, healthier mum, and to start looking just like the yummy mummy I feel inside :)

Fi x x x

Welcome, I'm sure you will find plenty of support, there are plenty doing a diet from home so I suggest you join one of the weigh ins, good luck.

Hi there, hope your weight loss journey goes really well. We're from the same neck of the woods too.
Which dvd's do you have?

Welcome and good luck! I too am a new mum, well 5 months, and the same cannot really go to a class or gym soooo I come on here, follow slimming world and weigh myself once a week (Mondays) there is loads of info and support on here so you can just chose a diet, learn all you can and do it yourself from home!

Hey guys thanks for your welcomes :)

This site has given me loads of information already, I'm so glad I joined.

All the best for everyone's weight loss journey :) x x x

Hello! I'm new myself but just wanted to wish you luck on your weightloss journey. :) I'm also calorie counting, looks like we're looking to lose around the same amount of weight too. Hope to see you around the forums x

Thanks R-E-D & Bubblegum_87 :)

How have you found your first week Bubblegum? I've not found calorie counting too bad, but I'm still waiting for the sugar crave to kick in! That's where I always fail at my diets!

Thanks R-E-D & Bubblegum_87 :)

How have you found your first week Bubblegum? I've not found calorie counting too bad, but I'm still waiting for the sugar crave to kick in! That's where I always fail at my diets!

Hi yummy_mummy :) My first week on minimins has been fab! Its great to finally find people who understand rather than judge. :) I actually started calorie counting last year though, lost a stone, went on holiday, managed to keep the weight off but motivation kind of took a nose dive until recently :rolleyes: but I'm back on track now, hope it stays that way. :D Calorie counting seems to be the only kind of diet I've managed to stick to for any length of time because I can basically eat what I want (in moderation of course ;)) as long as its within my calorie allowance. Also seems to be helping retrain my brain with regards to portion control and making healthy choices. Other diets I tried were too restrictive and made me want to just eat everything in sight lol. How are you keeping track of your calories? If you don't mind me asking. I've been using foodfocus but from what I've noticed I think most of the people here use myfitnesspal. :)

Hey Bubblegum_87 :)

I was just searching on the net for foods (calorie count food search seemed to come up the most), and then I kept a record of it in a diary on my desk. I was recommended my fitness pal from people on this site so I joined up and have started using that. I haven't heard of foodfocus before so I will defo have to check that out :)

Congrats on loosing a stone already! That's really great! Was that all done on calorie counting? x x x

Hey Bubblegum_87 :)

I was just searching on the net for foods (calorie count food search seemed to come up the most), and then I kept a record of it in a diary on my desk. I was recommended my fitness pal from people on this site so I joined up and have started using that. I haven't heard of foodfocus before so I will defo have to check that out :)

Congrats on loosing a stone already! That's really great! Was that all done on calorie counting? x x x

Thank you, I just read about your 4lb loss aswell so well done to you too! :) Yep I was just calorie counting and working out with some fitness DVDs. When I was doing it last year, I counted calories on purelifestyle.co.uk, but when I came back to it, it wouldn't let me log in, tried to email admin for help but got no reply (wasn't too happy as I had entered loads of food) then a friend recommended foodfocus - I think it's not as pretty to look at as mfp lol, but I remember preferring it for some reason. I can't remember if mfp includes your exercise? It lets me add in my exercise for calories burned, and that bumps up my allowance. I like seeing the break down of my total intake, net calories, deficit & estimated daily loss. One thing I preferred about mfp, if I remember correctly, is that it lets you keep an eye on water intake, mypurelifestyle had that too. x

Which fitness dvd's did you use and find the best? I've just started on Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.

I found Sainsbury's diets tracker really good to use, great food list, and can track water etc, but you have to pay for it which is a bummer. I used it on a free month trial x

Which fitness dvd's did you use and find the best? I've just started on Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.

Oh I have a loooong list of DVDs...many of which have been collecting dust haha. I thought Davina Mccall's DVDs were pretty good but I got bored very quickly, tried some celeb DVDs but they also bored me, probably even more lol. Then I was googling one day and ended up on a forum where people were discussing Turbo Jam. The claim was that you can burn up to 700 calories an hour. I liked the sound of that :D and the sound of the workouts themselves (if you haven't heard of Turbo Jam, it's sort of a fun kickboxing style workout with a slight dancey twist to it) so decided to give it a go. According to my heart rate monitor, I usually burn 500+ calories with the 45 minute workouts. I have the whole set now which keeps me from getting bored and usually follow the rotations that come with these sorts of DVD workout programmes. People sometimes compare this to the tae bo workouts but I think Turbo Jam is more fun. I find Chalene, the instructor very energetic and motivational, however some people might not appreciate her 'perkyness' etc, I really like her as an instructor myself, I got her newer DVDs as well, Turbo Fire which are tougher than Turbo Jam. If you like to dance, I know loads of people like the Zumba DVDs (including me!), but so far I've mainly been doing Turbo Jam. Have been hearing good things about Kettlebell workouts around these forums so will be starting the KettleWorx DVDs soon. I think I prefer these kind of workout 'programs' rather than conventional fitness DVDs because I find you get more variety, rather than having to do the same 1 workout over and over again. I also hear Tracy Anderson's DVDs are quite effective, though I have yet to try those out. I've never used the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred but would be interested to hear how you get on :D have been tempted to add that to my collection for a while haha.

I found Sainsbury's diets tracker really good to use, great food list, and can track water etc, but you have to pay for it which is a bummer. I used it on a free month trial x

Oh yes, my cousin used - I think it was called NutriCheck - during the free trial, and said that it was the best calorie counter thing she had tried, with a massive food database, I assume similar to the Sainsbury's one. To be honest, even if they were suddenly free now, I'm not sure I'd be bothered to migrate since I put so much effort into entering my own meals etc, and I'm far too lazy to redo all my hard work haha. x

Back