Newer Dukaners

scrumper

Gold Member
Whilst the ladies who have been on this dukan site for over a year or so love to help out the newer ladies ...so are getting a little annoyed with the fact that new people come in ask for advice , then throw it back at them saying " well its not in the book " or " they dont say that elsewhere "

please if you dont want the advice from us dont ask for it , shoot us down in flames , or totally ignore it and then add in things to new newbies that may actually not work, because you heard it somewhere else by someone whose done the diet for mmm all of 5 days ...
People on here like Jo Mouse ect offer amazing advise if you stop to listen , but ive noticed that the old regulars are posting less and less as they feel that they are being treated with less and less respectful replies .......
if you dont want the advice from them dont ask or like myself be very grateful to get it from people who have been there and actually done it

rant over back crawl off under my stone

I agree. All the advice I have been given from the 'experts' (thought that was the best way to describe you) have been really really spot on! I try to reiterate it. Please don't stop posting replies as they are so helpful and have really really helped me!

It's true - I've only been around for a couple of months, and all the best advice and support I've received has been from long term Dukaneers.

Think about - look at their stats - they have they best possible advice because they know what works and what doesn't - and they willing to spend time and energy sharing that with others.

Major respect is due!

The reason I joined this forum is support - I have the Dukan book, and a subscription to the Dukan website, but the reason I come here is for the daily support and motivation I get from reading people's stories.

Anyone who has tried and failed to lose weight before knows that it's the experiences of others that keep them motivated when the going gets tough. Not taking advice is like buying a car at age 17 and trying to drive down a motorway having never even had a single driving lesson.
Forums are about the exchange of ideas, discussion and support.
I posted a moany thread on here a couple of weeks ago because I was craving peanut butter - now I knew I couldn't have it, and when people advised me and gave me pointers, I didn't say "well you are all wrong, my body defies the laws of biology and physiology, I am going to eat it" because I really valued the opinions I was given (frankly, I would have preferred the PB but I took the advice and lost weight that week).

I really hope that the Dukan Veterans continue to post, air their views and lend us noobs the support we need - I cannot tell you all how much this forum gives me the direction and information that I can't get even from the official channels. I might not post every day, but I read every day, and am really grateful for the time and effort people put in to give a hand to people they've never even met before.
I hope us noobs can become successful Dukan veterans in time, and pay back this forum by passing on what we've learned, too.
And on that note, I am going to eat my chicken breast.

Tan, come back!

I'd not have managed without this forum despite having the book (which I no longer have - oops).

The rules seem to change weekly, that's why the 'old-timers' have good advice as the diet was stricter when it came out in the UK last year and Jo did Dukan back in the day when only food on the list was permitted - tolerateds didn't exist - maybe the diet was slightly more boring, but no grey areas - no room for failure, basically.

OT slightly but Dukan has introduced processed Dukan-friendly meals/snacks/puds here in France which goes against everything he said in the book - getting back to basics - cooking from scratch, fresh ingredients, etc, etc, so I take my advice on this forum rather than his site and would also advise caution with the chat section on there in view of the above.:)

I assume that is aimed at me then? Since I asked about skimmed milk powder being unlimited? I asked what I had missed as I had not found it stated in the book about limiting dairy. Are we supposed to just accept what is said and not query when something goes against what we have read in the book?

I don't think any individual dukaneer should feel "singled out".

But everyone on the board should bear in mind is that what seems new and fresh and strange to those starting the diet is familiar and known and everyday info to those who have been here for months, and still take time out to answer questions.

(And vice versa, of course!)

That's why I tend not to question the expertise of regular long-term posters - I know they have probably typed that information a gazillion times before, and yet still have the patience to answer again.

I don't think any individual dukaneer should feel "singled out".

But everyone on the board should bear in mind is that what seems new and fresh and strange to those starting the diet is familiar and known and everyday info to those who have been here for months, and still take time out to answer questions.

(And vice versa, of course!)

That's why I tend not to question the expertise of regular long-term posters - I know they have probably typed that information a gazillion times before, and yet still have the patience to answer again.

I completely agree. The girls that have been on Dukan for a while have got to be the best people to go to for advice. The book is very dry I find, and cannot possibly replace first hand experience. Also Dr D has a product to sell so he's going to be biased!
Also the recipes on here are amazing - i'm going to eat Butternut squash curry for ever!!!
Please keep posting!
Mich x

I think it is the way the original post is written. To me it says you are not allowed an opinion, listen only to the people posting here as they know best. Well for one, not easy to distinguish between the 'old' posters and the newer ones when you start on the boards and for two, it would be helpful instead of throwing in a comment like 'its not unlimited' when the book says it is to actually say that although the book does list xxx as an unlimited food, the more up to date boards are saying xxx.

I guess I'm newer - I try to be helpful and respectful and appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. I have been on lots of diet plans and been through lots of weight counseling, so I try to pitch in on stuff that I know something about - that's the benefit of a forum. I leave the Dukan rules to the experts, I still am figuring it out for myself.

I'm not a big poster on here but I have gained invaluable advice by reading the posts and replies that others, in particular the 'older' members have posted. Please don't stop - I'm sure there are many more members like me who rarely post but value the experience of others.

Just a tip for those of us struggling with conflicting advice, or the sometimes counter-intuitive details of the Dukan diet - check the rep level on the poster stats.

It records the number of times other users have found that poster's advice helpful, so is usually a good guide to reliability.

Part of what makes online discussions difficult is that there is no way to guage someone's tone. For instance, what I may be looking for is confirmation on a topic (and in no way meaning to be disrespectful) yet the reader takes my questions as condescending. As someone else pointed out, if the information contradicts what is written in the book, why is it wrong to say "where did you learn this from? personal experience? new updates from the Dukan site?" For me, it's not meant to irritate but seek confirmation.

All I can do is phrase my posts in such a way as that I hope I don't offend anyone and add those little smiley faces next to it! :D

Oh, and also follow the good advice given by Atropos and m-mouse!

I posted a moany thread on here a couple of weeks ago because I was craving peanut butter - now I knew I couldn't have it, and when people advised me and gave me pointers, I didn't say "well you are all wrong, my body defies the laws of biology and physiology, I am going to eat it" because I really valued the opinions I was given (frankly, I would have preferred the PB but I took the advice and lost weight that week).

And on that note, I am going to eat my chicken breast.

I was hoping desperately that someone was going to say "Yes, peanut butter is ok!" :D But alas, it wasn't and I did follow everyones advice. Maybe PB will be on my first celebration meal?! ;)

Back