nibbling my way thru the queasy!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well done Candice!!!! On to Day 4 for you today isn't it? And you should be in the K zone!!!!

Don't think I'll be around today as will be back at work and catching up on my skiving from yesterday!

No movement on the scales for me today, but look forward to hearing how you got on.

Chat son xxx

DAY 4 :character00201: cruising along fine

On to day four and i'm feeling very nice today. i must be in ketosis by now. the water is much easier to drink now and i'm doing alright with the shakes/soups. ((getting creative with them as the days pass...))

this morning, tried the cappuccino. cold, added loads of ice, and instant coffee granules so that i could get my morning coffee fix at the same time. Dont know if its ketosis or the coffee but im totally buzzin! :character00255:

I've been out of the house (which always helps)...took fynn to the baby playgroup in the village and actually looked forward :eek: of lugging myself and the pram back up the hills to get home...every little bit helps!

hmm...on that note, whats for lunch? ((i can't help but always think about my next drink flavour...I'm a chef! I'm all about food! ((and music too))....

Anyways, i'm off for now. need to keep busy busy busy!

will check back later.....

:)

Well done! Sounds like you are in ketosis. You don't normally feel hungry, sometimes have a funny taste in your mouth and horrible smelly breath, plus can feel cold.

Keep busy and drink the water and you'll be losing nicely!

Wow, now that you mention it, i'm not hungry really at all! not like i was the first couple days. ((is it because of the body using up the fat stores for energy?? i'm a dummy about this ketosis thing, dont know all the ins and outs as i havent read about it for about 7 years when i attempted the unrealistic Atkins)).

ALso, i AM cold. ive got the windows closed and its a beautiful day outside. i'm totally bundled in my fluffy robe. I tell you one thing that im having problems with, and i apologize in advance that its TMI!!...but since i've started CD, i've had an icky tummy..i have to stay close to the loo, if you know what i mean. :sick0019: i had to take a tiny little pill to settle the issue this morning, i hope it wont effect ketosis...doubt it...but i still hope not!

Am i the only one having this issue????

p.s. Beverly, thanks again for your encouragement!! how are you doing this week???

This is the science behind ketosis....
Ketosis is another name for the "fat burning" process. When you start the Cambridge Diet, during the first one or two days your body uses glucose (a simple sugar stored by the body as the complex carbohydrate glycogen), for its main energy requirements. Once the body has used up its stored carbohydrate, it then switches to its other energy source - unwanted fat. A ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrate.
The body's stored fat is broken down into little fatty acid molecules called ketones and these circulate taking energy to all the tissues in the body. The Cambridge Diet has been carefully researched and formulated so that when used sole source it has just enough carbohydrate for immediate energy and none left over for storage and induces a mild ketosis. The smallest intake of additional carbohydrate can upset this fragile balance and cause carbohydrate to be stored along with water, causing a plateau.
The mild ketosis is an intrinsic part of the design of the sole source programme because it has significant benefits - it is the key to the comfort for the dieter:
  • It reduces the feeling of hunger - removing the temptation to err!
  • It induces a sense of well-being with good energy levels
    Far from being harmful, ketosis is an important safety factor - the body gets all the energy it needs from the breakdown of its fats stores, thus protecting muscle tissue and vital organs
  • Ketones are the products produced by your body when it burns fat. Your body excretes these ketones in the urine and when you breathe out. This is the reason why you can get bad breath and nasty taste in your mouth when on sole source.
The ketones circulate in the bloodstream. When they reach the brain they produce two really pleasant effects: you stop feeling hungry and gain a tremendous feeling of well-being. This helps you to stick to the diet.
The Cambridge Diet has been very carefully formulated to produce this mild, beneficial ketosis. This is possible because of the limited amount of carbohydrate in the diet. If you have any additional carbohydrate - skimmed milk in your tea or coffee, an apple or a slice of bread - you could break the ketosis. You will feel hungry (and may start to eat) and the feeling of well-being will disappear. You may also deposit glycogen which retains water, leading to a plateau.

What is the ketone test?
This is a simple urine test which indicates the presence of ketones. The mild ketosis induced by the Cambridge Diet ensures that sufficient ketones are produced to give adequate energy with some left over which are passed into the urine.
Two simple tests are available from the chemist - Ketostix and Ketur-Test. They are plastic strips with a felt tip. The tip will react and turn pink if ketones are present in the urine.
Most dieters achieve ketosis after three days on the sole source programme. If, after this time a test gives a negative reading (the top does not change colour), it is reasonable to assume that the dieter is deviating from sole source and taking in extra carbohydrate. On the other hand, a positive reading (the tip turns pink) can be very motivating for someone who is in a pre-menstrual plateau. It is tangible evidence that their body is indeed still burning off fat, even though the loss is not showing on the scales.

Some people do get diarohea and others get constipated! Just the way our bodies work. Won't make any difference to ketosis though.

I'm doing great thanks - on day 2 and so far so good!! Want my 2nd star!!!

oh thank you so much for that beverly. i'm going to copy and paste that in an email to my mom-in-law, who is all of 9st and skeptical of the diet....there's always a few that will disagree, right??

thanks again. my memory is now refreshed on the topic of ketosis. :read: :D:D

I know i have said this every night since starting CD, but i have to say it again: I'm pleased to have made it through another day...100% CD only!

Its a huge deal for me having avoided even the slightest nibble of food. i have never been 100% faithful to any diet in the past. especially within the first week of starting. there's always been the odd biscuit or 5 or not really weighing out portions, yadda yadda yadda... no matter the diet or the situation, i had always managed to let my "inner fat chick" voice tell me "what's one choc biscuit?". The harsh reality is that one biscuit ALWAYS turned into 4, 5, 6...and then i'd feel the guilt and somehow i'd manage to forget or lie to myself and others about how many i really had. it is a miserable way to live. Neverending vicious cycle of food, lies, food, etc etc.

SOoooooooOooo, this is why, at the end of each night on the CD, i say: Made it through another day.

Welcome Dis

Notice that you're here in "sunny" North Wales *ahem, well sometimes*.

Whereabouts are you? I live in Llandudno, which you mentioned in your first post!

Well done you on getting through day 4, it gets easier and easier by the day!

Break it down into chunks and you'll be fine.

Good luck for another good one tomorrow!

SOoooooooOooo, this is why, at the end of each night on the CD, i say: Made it through another day.

Amen to that candice. Your last post summed up exactly how I feel. I am so relieved to have made it through day 7.

Woot woot! Also, may i add that 12 lbs and on day 7?!?!? fab!!!

Welcome Dis

Notice that you're here in "sunny" North Wales *ahem, well sometimes*.

Whereabouts are you? I live in Llandudno, which you mentioned in your first post!

Well done you on getting through day 4, it gets easier and easier by the day!

Break it down into chunks and you'll be fine.

Good luck for another good one tomorrow!

Thanks for the luck! we all need it, right?

as for location, i'm in the little village of meliden. i'm near dyserth...and prestatyn. I absolutely adore llandudno... :)

oh, btw, i was being nosey and viewed your photobox collection... wow! how inspiring! its amazing to see the changes!

well done!

Day 5

so this morning, while making a piece of toast for baby dude, for whatever strange reasons i started singing (just like the James Blunt Song): "Goodbye, my butter! Goodbye, My friend. you have been the one, you have been the one for me.."

I'm sure if i had a few moments longer, i could've replaced the words to the entire song, relating to saying TaTa to food. heheh... Just thought i'd tell ya about the title of the thread.... heeheheh

OK! back to diary world.
Day 5, feeling great today. the weather is loverly, and even though i'm really wanting to have a summer-tog duvet day due to the cramps :hide: , i opted to light a fire under my bum and do a bit of gardening...well, weeding, really.

Just came in to have a late lunch (chocolate). and check the E's and forums, etc. i havent consumed enough water yet, today...better get crackin!

Oh, and before i forget, can anyone tell me if being on my 'flow' will change anything? i.e. weekly weight loss??))

thanks!
Keep on Keepin' on!

also, wanted to add that i 'misplaced' 2 more pounds as of my 5am home-weigh-in. woot woot....11 so far, 5 days in.

thank you westie! i know its going to slow down, or at least thats what i suspect will happen... its very hard to keep in mind that every week wont be so dramatic with the loss...know what i mean?

i'm sort of terrified that after this week, the loss is going to be more like 1-2 lbs a week. scaredy cat!

Nah, when you're in ketosis it's about 3-4lbs a week average.

Some weeks I lost more, some weeks less but it all evened out to about 3.5lbs a week.

Thanks about the comments about my photos but I'm not so inspiring anymore. :(

Have struggled a lot over the last few months and put "a few" back on, but even though I'm no longer on a VLCD I never give up the good fight lol!

Thanks about the comments about my photos but I'm not so inspiring anymore. :(

Have struggled a lot over the last few months and put "a few" back on, but even though I'm no longer on a VLCD I never give up the good fight lol!

i'm sorry to hear that you have struggled, but i dont think you would be human if you didnt have some sort of hurdle...its a scary thought, being able to control yourself/myself when i get back to eating again. sometimes i think that will be the harder part!

;)

oh and btw, westie..the you and your progress is still inspiring! Its motivation to see that it can be done.

**Dis looks around the room and wonders, "where has my CD buddy, Morphing, gone off to??"***

i suspect Morph has been absolutely bogged down with work and home! hope you are still doing well, Morph and that you can pop in sometime over the weekend, if you get a breather!

hope all is well.
:bliss:

i'm sorry to hear that you have struggled, but i dont think you would be human if you didnt have some sort of hurdle...its a scary thought, being able to control yourself/myself when i get back to eating again. sometimes i think that will be the harder part!

;)

Eating is harder, but let's not go there on a Friday night. Life's too short to be miserable on the weekend!

oh and btw, westie..the you and your progress is still inspiring! Its motivation to see that it can be done.

*Blushes furiously*

Back