Night shifts

mardybum

Who else works night shifts? How do you find it affects your weightloss and your eating?

I'm working Thursday and Friday nights this week, I feel like I eat more when I am on nights, especially the first night (I only usually do 2 together) as I don't sleep during the day leading up to it so eat normal meals, but then obviously I get hungry during the night because I'm awake and working, so eat then as well. Although I suppose after midnight its the next day.

Also what do you do if your weigh in day is a nightshift day? I weigh on Fridays, and always first thing in the morning. However when I get home from work on Friday morning it won't be like a usual first thing in the morning weigh in because I won't have been sleeping, I'll have been awake and, as above, eating. So maybe I'll weigh when I get up on the afternoon instead?

I am exactly in this situation... worked last nite (with no sleep in the day), so ate during the day and night... Working again tonight... Not had anything to eat so far, but starving (which I'm sure ain't a v gd idea, but trying to save points).

Get weighed tomorrow mornin at arf 9.... No idea how it's going to affect ma weight loss. I've not been well this week n not been eatin much (either good or bad foods), so I'm defo hoping for a loss!! Wouldn't be surprised if ma body's gone into starvation mode tho, so I STS.

Let me kno how u do, xx

I think it worked out okay top_stuff, although my planned meals went out of the window yesterday because of some car issues! I ended up having breakfast and then not eating again until mid afternoon when I had 2 bagels and phildelphia, and then overnight I had another bagel and philadelphia (! not exactly a varied diet!), a banana, 2 tangerines, a biscuit and a few crisps (and that was all counted in Thursday's points). I weighed when I got in from work this morning and I was 14st 10.5lb (so 0.25lb less than last week). But I've just weighed again now, because even though it is Friday afternoon, it is more like Friday morning for us because we've just got up, and I was 14st 8.5lb.

I haven't eaten yet either, but anything I eat between now and going to bed tomorrow morning I will count as today's points, and then Saturday's points will start when I get up at lunchtime, which gives me quite a lot of points in a short time on Saturday, but that's good news because I'm going out for tea!

I think you might see a loss when you weigh on Saturday morning, but you're more likely to see it after you've slept.

Good luck with your weigh in! And hope you have a good night shift. What do you do?

I guess u like bagels... Lol. I didn't eat much yday cuz I wasn't well, so had a tin of pineapple (apparently it taste the same on the way up as the way down... Just in case...) and then two slices of cheese on toast before work yday, and then cheese on toast again overnight. Lol... Very adventurous aren't we?! Haha.

Today I've had a coupla smoothies, so only a few points so far (for ma milk), n got home made zero point soup for overnight...

I'm totally lost with my points, but i kno I've hardly had any, so not worried about being over my points.
I'll start over as long as I'm properly better tomorrow...

Good for u losing! I'm goin to tell the woman tomorrow mornin I've been n nights so it ain't accurate. Lol....

I like ur plan with sats points... I'm meant to be going out for a (dreaded) curry.... So mite follow ur lead and do the same as u wiv ya points :)

I'm a nurse, I must be mad. Lol. I'm a qualified adult nurse, but I'm currently back at uni studying children's nursing... Will be dual qualified by next Sept (if all goes well)...

What do u do for work??

Jay x

I don't work nights, but I think you can count anything you eat after midnight as the next day's allowance. So you would be eating into the following day and after coming back home and have a rest you would just have the final few points left. I would however weigh-in after waking up, as that would be for your body the "breakfast" moment, so when you weight the least.

How did your weigh in go Jay?

I'm a midwife so I must be equally as mad!

Thanks kagome75 I counted anything that I ate before sleeping as that days points, it seemed to work and I didn't go over my allowance so will stick with it for now. Back on nights Monday and Tuesday!

Well, I weighed myself before I went and I weighed 9st 7.5lb.... I wore light trousers n a t-shirt (the same as always, I bet people think I only have this set of clothes, but I don't want diff clothes to affect ma weight) and on her scales I was 9st 12lb (STS)... That's a hell of a difference. I don't reckon her scales were right this week.... There was no reason for that much difference!

Since weigh in I've bin crap on plan... I went to the German market in Birmingham last night, where I had loadsa German beer... N today I went shoppin wiv ma OH in cheshire oaks... So ate out again. Back on plan now, n even tho ma OH is currently scoffing haribo, I'm not even tempted. I don't wana STS the same agen next week!!!!! Tbf I reckon I'm well within ma points as I reckon I only ad 5 pints, n today a chicken dinner in pub....

Midwife eh?! Rather u than me, haha. I love little ones, but I prefer um when they're already out in the big wide world, rather than jus arriving into it!

Jay x

I'm a nurse too working 2nights a week. It really messes you up doesn't it?
The first day, i too am up for 24hours and then the day I finish I dont eat from my breakfast at work at 5.30 until probably 5pm when all I can eat is a couple of slices of toast and jam. I go to bed early and then we get back to normal next day. I've got an aversion for class the night I finish and prefer to go to an alternative one.
By the way, I'm dual registered kids and adults with Orthopaedic cert too!

Yeah, proper messes ya up... Boo.
Ur dual trained too, cool... We are a rare breed. Haha... So people keep tellin me...
Jay x

im a nurse too and find nightshift a real challenge! its too tempting to start eating junk food in the middle of the night! got my first set of nights since i started back on ww in a couple of weeks, just hope i can stick to it! x

Im on nights this week - work as a critical care nurse ... Wat I usually do is ....
Have breakfast at 2pm .. Something filling ...
Have dinner just before work ..
Then I have my tea at work about 2am ...
For w.I .. I either wait til I wake or wait til when following day went im off work ...

Xxxx

There are lots of nurses on here it's great :) Must be the shift work ha ha I will be qualified in aug and I don't want to be a fat nurse

Baby-belle said:
There are lots of nurses on here it's great :) Must be the shift work ha ha I will be qualified in aug and I don't want to be a fat nurse

I totally blame the shift work... Haha. X

It's all very well planning ahead... But then when people come n say they're guna get a take away or offer chocs around... Well, its all over. Lol. x

Lol I hate that there is always chocs about, I have been quite good at resisting them but sometimes when your starving and don't get a break you just grab something

Same ere... I'm good at controllin the urge until ma belly rumbles n then I'll stuff ma face. Lol. X

Ooooo lots of nurses ... Ive just pre planned my simply filling diary for today .... Xxxx

*Claire-Bear* said:
Im on nights this week - work as a critical care nurse ... Wat I usually do is ....
Have breakfast at 2pm .. Something filling ...
Have dinner just before work ..
Then I have my tea at work about 2am ...
For w.I .. I either wait til I wake or wait til when following day went im off work ...

Xxxx

Thank god for this thread :) I'm an ITU nurse as well and my next lot of nights are over Xmas, so it's going to a nightmare.

I'm finding it hard at the moment as we're full & mega busy so breaks are rushed & I'm grabbing for chocolate for extra sugar boosts.

I generally find I lose a bit more on nights because I feel sick with sugary food at 3am & I make sure I eat some porridge as soon as I get in.

Shift work is hell. Give it a few more tears and I'm off to work in the community ;)

Susan. said:
Thank god for this thread :) I'm an ITU nurse as well and my next lot of nights are over Xmas, so it's going to a nightmare.

I'm finding it hard at the moment as we're full & mega busy so breaks are rushed & I'm grabbing for chocolate for extra sugar boosts.

I generally find I lose a bit more on nights because I feel sick with sugary food at 3am & I make sure I eat some porridge as soon as I get in.

Shift work is hell. Give it a few more tears and I'm off to work in the community ;)

Community is my ideal type of nursing ... Just hard to get into xxxx

Back