No added sugar

Raiekku

Hi everyone,

another very random question from me :)

I have obviously noticed that everything we use should be sugar free, but can anyone suggest items that are sugar free but do not contain aspartame?

I will be interested in the answer too. I dislike aspartame so I have choosen to foresake anything sweet for the time being.

You only have to check the label - lots of products use sweeteners other than aspartame. Far too many to list without a better idea of what you might be looking for.

Better still, get your own non-aspartame subsitutes (sucralose or stevia for example) to sweeten your own deserts and drinks.

Splenda is Sucralose.

You need to buy one of those pocket magnifying glasses from WH Smith! These food manufacturers do their utmost to make their labelling so small that most of us (over 40s particularly!) can't read them!

You need to buy one of those pocket magnifying glasses from WH Smith! These food manufacturers do their utmost to make their labelling so small that most of us (over 40s particularly!) can't read them!

Ha ha indeed! When did you think I realised I needed reading glasses.... Last summer/autumn. Having to read too many packet labels because of this diet, after having turned 40 that Spring....

Back to the sweeteners - you don't have to use aspartame - for some (historical, french availablility...) reason DrD mentions it, and it's heat-resistant unlike some others. But personally I have been using Splenda (sucralose) which works well too, and some people have been reporting adverse reactions to aspartame (headaches for example).

I may ask you for a few ideas, Manda! A friend here has a 'sugar plant' (stevia, I presume) and has no idea what to do with it.

I have just ordered my Stevia cookery book Anja!

Oh cool, we'll be all ears how you get on!

I presume you know that it's not licensed for food sale in the UK (or even the european union?) which is why you can't easily buy it in the shops. I meant to mention that last time. Here is the food standards agency:
Food Standards Agency - Stevia and Stevioside

But this is only due to lack of data:

Quoting:
Stevia and stevioside are not permitted for sale as food or food ingredients in the UK and most other European Union (EU) countries. However, in 2010 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) concluded that an Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for steviol glycosides could now be established. This had not been possible in earlier assessments on stevioside (a steviol glycoside) by the Scientific Committee on Food (SCF) mainly due to a lack of appropriate data.
and more importantly

Further applications were received for the approval of steviol glycosides in 2007 and 2008 respectively. In light of new evidence, EFSA concluded that the results of toxicological testing indicated that steviol glycosides are not genotoxic, carcinogenic, nor associated with any reproductive/developmental toxicity. Therefore, EFSA set an Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for steviol glycosides, expressed as steviol equivalents, of 4mg/kg bw/day. This is consistent with the ADI established in 2008 by the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives administered jointly by the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization (JECFA), an international expert scientific committee.

Yes I do too and I wasn't sure what to do with it! I tried chewing on some and it was very sweet. Anja mentioned that she had seen some cookery books on Amazon, so I will happily share when it comes! The review of the one I bought mentioned a super scrummy apple pie!

Yes I do too and I wasn't sure what to do with it! I tried chewing on some and it was very sweet. Anja mentioned that she had seen some cookery books on Amazon, so I will happily share when it comes! The review of the one I bought mentioned a super scrummy apple pie!

I'm sure you'll manage to adapt apple pie to a Dukan-friendly alternative, Manda. Looking forward to it:D.

The plants must be ok though - I bought seeds and plants here. It must be the dried stuff that is unlicensed?

Yes It's the 'as a foodstuff'. Plants must be okay and the powder seems to be too - you can easily find it in the UK online, but it tends to spell out that it's not licensed as a food stuff and 'what you do with it is your business' (not quite those words!)

The plants must be ok though - I bought seeds and plants here. It must be the dried stuff that is unlicensed?

Very interesting about that recipe book! :D

The licensing will only be required for the sweetening product itself, I'd imagine, Mouse. I suspect that the big companies which already produce sweeteners may also be holding things back - after all, a natural, seemingly safer new product isn't in their best interests. (I'm such a cynic about big companies.)

Back