No idea how to dress!!

kaz3804

Silver Member
Now I'm coming up to 5st off I have no idea how to dress! My old "uniform of jeans, black tops of varing styles just doesn't feel right any more! I'm now a small 14 which I never thought I would be! Still with another st and half to go I hope to slip into size 12's but what to buy? Money is tight so can't buy lord but NEED to get a few bits to see me thro autumn/winter! Did/does anyone else have this problem any advice? I'm a 33 yr old mummy so need practical clothes but feel ready to be stylish!

Hi Kaz! Sounds like you're a good candidate for beau coo (bloggers review here: From the corners of the Curve.: BeauCoo: My new Social Media Addiction. )

you put your measurements in and you see people with a similar shape & what they wear- simple!

i had the same problem as soon as my size 26 clothes wouldn't stay on anymore, shopping on the high st seemed so daunting when I was used to one or two shops with a pretty limited selection.

I looked for for advice too & Magazines would say wear dark clothes that "skim" problem areas- flute that! I want to rock my bod now! I still have big legs but I couldn't give a flip, I wear dresses nonstop because that is what I like. Wear things that you like, be brave & confident- you'll look awesome in anything!

Hi Kaz! Sounds like you're a good candidate for beau coo (bloggers review here: From the corners of the Curve.: BeauCoo: My new Social Media Addiction. )

you put your measurements in and you see people with a similar shape & what they wear- simple!

i had the same problem as soon as my size 26 clothes wouldn't stay on anymore, shopping on the high st seemed so daunting when I was used to one or two shops with a pretty limited selection.

I looked for for advice too & Magazines would say wear dark clothes that "skim" problem areas- flute that! I want to rock my bod now! I still have big legs but I couldn't give a flip, I wear dresses nonstop because that is what I like. Wear things that you like, be brave & confident- you'll look awesome in anything!

Oh I'm gonna give that a go! I just have no idea where to start! I have always hated shopping! But now keep getting urges to go but I'm so used to having the 2 or 3 shops which might have a size to fit me! It's a daunting task where there's so many! Never thought I'd find it such a problem!!!

I've found since losing weight i've become more confident to try new styles and colours but likewise money is tight. I've found the best bet is ebay...i've bought things new and used (in great condition) at a fraction of the price. The good thing is you haven't broken the bank in the process if you find you don't like it and can then always sell it on.

I always have a nosey in the sale racks too when im out and about and have also bought clothes of people on local for sale sites on facebook! People selling bags full of say size ... for £10 including jeans, trousers, tops etc and they have all been fine with having a look at the contents first before buyin them. Some clothes i've got in these bags have been topshop, new look, river island, boohoo, next and simplybe for and have hardly been worn- Noone is none the wiser that your wearin 2nd hand gear and u save the pennies :) x

Congrats on losing so much weight! :D Last year I went from a size 20-22 to a size 14-16 and I found myself almost completely changing my style. Best advice I can give is just try on as many different styles as possible and take a good friend or somebody you trust with you! I tried on things I never would have considered on the rack but things tend to look really different on. Plus it's kind of good fun to spend a whole day shopping, even if you don't end up buying anything, you'll know what you like and what suits you so you can find similar stuff on ebay or in the sales! :) x

Hi Kaz! Sounds like you're a good candidate for beau coo (bloggers review here: From the corners of the Curve.: BeauCoo: My new Social Media Addiction. ) you put your measurements in and you see people with a similar shape & what they wear- simple! i had the same problem as soon as my size 26 clothes wouldn't stay on anymore, shopping on the high st seemed so daunting when I was used to one or two shops with a pretty limited selection. I looked for for advice too & Magazines would say wear dark clothes that "skim" problem areas- flute that! I want to rock my bod now! I still have big legs but I couldn't give a flip, I wear dresses nonstop because that is what I like. Wear things that you like, be brave & confident- you'll look awesome in anything!
Saw this and thought it was worth a look - no one matching my size yet boo!

Aww that's a pity Purple Tortoise! I think it's pretty new to be fair. It's cool to see other people looking awesome with the same body :)

I'd give a shout out for new look, very reasonable I seem to have filled my size 12/14 wardrobe from there, primark and eBay!!

I've had some fantastic luck with charity shops - most of my current favourite clothes are from there! You have to hunt around quite a bit but you can find some real bargains.

I used to just buy whatever fitted, I'm really enjoying finding my sense of style now :)

eBay is great but you can't try on and the postage is beginning to get really steep recently. To be honest I find Asda (George) and Tesco (F&F) are quite good for budget clothes and Matalan is not bad either, and you can return if you don't feel 100% happy with your purchase :)

Ive got some great bargains...especially when you only pay 99p then u don't mind paying postage :)! I got a lovely casual skater dress in H&M today for £3! Thats also another great place to browse for bargains! Xx

I would also suggest trying charity shops, ebay, Primark, do you have a friend you can take shopping with you?

Or just go in any shop & try on loads of things you like not that you think would suit, but what you actually like then take a look & see what you think, ask yourself what you'd think if you saw yourself in those would it be ok? You don't need to buy from that shop but then look around for something similar but cheaper.

I'm 47 so often go shopping with my daughter & she'll tell me if I'm 'too old' or what will look ok.

Hi, I have lost 6 stone and replaced 95% of my wardrobe from the charity shops. I've always had my own style and don't follow fashion. But everyone says how lovely my outfits are! You need to gain confidence in wearing what you love and is comfy. One tip I've learnt is if you buy a style of something say a top, wear it a whole before you buy lots in the same style. I've learnt with my flabby belly skin, I'm comfier in dresses etc than separate tops and jeans. I do wear them but not daily. But I've bought a gazillion tops?!? Lol. I wouldn't waste money in high st shops now I love Cheshire charity shops!

Hi, I have lost 6 stone and replaced 95% of my wardrobe from the charity shops. I've always had my own style and don't follow fashion. But everyone says how lovely my outfits are! You need to gain confidence in wearing what you love and is comfy. One tip I've learnt is if you buy a style of something say a top, wear it a whole before you buy lots in the same style. I've learnt with my flabby belly skin, I'm comfier in dresses etc than separate tops and jeans. I do wear them but not daily. But I've bought a gazillion tops?!? Lol. I wouldn't waste money in high st shops now I love Cheshire charity shops!
Any particular ones I Cheshire? I have never found a good one yet!

Wow u have all given me so many ideas! I think I may try to get hubby to look after kiddies this sat afternoon and I'll take a couple of hrs in town just looking and trying on. It seems so odd that I should go into all the shops to find clothes! I love thought of getting bargains in charity shops too! Mmmmmmmmm time to start finding my style! What a hilarious concept never thought I'd have a style other than whatever fits!

I only really wear jeans with long loose tops, so long enough to cover my wobbly tummy. Mostly if a top is shortish, I wear it with a flattering skirt - I find A-line works for my shape. I think some of my 'tops' are probably short dresses, but I wear them with jeans. I still don't have the legs for tiny skirts! Knee length seems too short to me after all those years of floor length potato sacks, but I am getting braver.

'They' say (and I tend to ignore what 'they' think but this tip works for me) that you should identify the part of your body you like least and avoid any clothes that end there as it accentuates it / draws the attention to that level. So I avoid tops that end around my low-hanging tummy. The rule goes out of the window when I'm running out of clean clothes and too lazy to do laundry

(Also - hello Bunnylush! Bex from t'other forum xx)

Any particular ones I Cheshire? I have never found a good one yet!

Well I'm just outside of winsford, they get quite a bit dropped off from t'posh Knutsford, Alderly edge area ;) we visit the Hartford shop every Wednesday after SW class, that ones not so cheap though. Knutsford is a good day out, there must be over 20 charity shops! But all the bargains were from winsford, it's quiet there. I hate the northwich ones because they're rammed with clothes and people!

Well I'm just outside of winsford, they get quite a bit dropped off from t'posh Knutsford, Alderly edge area ;) we visit the Hartford shop every Wednesday after SW class, that ones not so cheap though. Knutsford is a good day out, there must be over 20 charity shops! But all the bargains were from winsford, it's quiet there. I hate the northwich ones because they're rammed with clothes and people!
Have never tried those
Warrington & Wigan are closet local towns to me
I work in Wilmslow (posh toff crowd) but never seen abutting good in those!

See I have never suited below the knee skirts/dresses. In winter I wear short skirts, dresses with wooly tights and uggs. In summer I can't wear shirt skirts with no tights at my age and legs! So I swap to full length maxi dresses. Matalan have a brilliant range of body wear £5 which holds your belly in ( vest) and pants, it's comfy and warm. I have to wear those with jeans or I get skin hang over! All my new coats and jackets have come from charity shops. In fact I've bought too much, become a little obsessed lol. I've got thousands of pounds worth for hundreds of pounds. :)

Back