No more excuses

Yesterday I returned from our Summer Holiday to Rhodes. What a beautiful place, stunning scenery, hot weather, lovely beaches, watersports, what's there to complain about? I guess the fact that I felt a little bit sad all holiday. Sad because I left a tonne of beautiful clothes at home that haven't fitted for 4 years, sad because my weight and the heat made it hard for me to enjoy much of the scenery, sad because I was too embarassed to clamber on a lilo, sad because I felt too self-conscious to get on a jetski! What a waste and only myself to blame.

So, in a minute I'm going to get on the scales - i'm pooping it! I know i'm over 15 and a half - but possibly over 16 stone.

I've used the excuse that I work 24 hour shifts in a call centre for emergency services, meal times are all over the shop and I have no set routine - this has also been my excuse for not attending a club - however I have every book and magazine ever published by SW!! I'd so appreciate ideas for snacking, my biggest weakness at work as i'm surrounded by 6 enormous tuckshops crammed full of stodgy flapjack, fizzy drinks, chocolate and crisps that cry out loudly at 3am. I'd also be really grateful for breakfast I can take to work ideas - i'm up at 530am on early shift and that's too early for me to eat. I have access to a microwave and fridge - no really smelly food allowed though!

Right, up the stairs to my nemesis - the scales, here goes - i'll post the result!

Sounds like you have a fairly chaotic schedule which will make things harder as tiredness makes people hungry... While I don't do SW, I can suggest, making a ground rule, taking a tupperware full of your own snacks and that being the only safe snackbox allowed. Sort of making a boundary in your own mind that, the snacks in the office are for other people and they "belong" to the others. I know they're free for all I guess, but, it's just a mentality shift that may help in the long run?

Maybe set a routine, plan ahead. Have certain times when you eat and only eat then. If you're peckish outside of those times, have a drink of water, or tea as sometimes hunger is actually thirst. I'm sure there are lots of recipe idea threads around this section to help you with the breakfast. Maybe taking in some (allowed cereal brand) and having skimmed milk in the fridge for it? Or overnight oats?

Good luck with starting, you can do this. :) x

Well I think yesterday was quite successful for day 1! I was on a 5pm til 1am shift, had weetabix and ss milk for breakfast, 1 medium slice of w/m bread with small tin of spag hoops for lunch and took in the worlds largest salad with tuna in brine and hard boiled egg, 2 sugar free jellies and a dozen cherries. I felt the pull of the tuck shop at 11pm and then happily remembered my second jelly! I'm hoping to start the Couch 2 5k today, but incredibly self conscious - may borrow one of my son's hats and a pair of large sunglasses - however that'd probably draw more attention to myself lol! Guess everyone has to start somewhere, no matter how unfit!

You're doing very well already! Don't be self conscious about going out and exercising, however far you get you're still getting further than the people sat at home on the sofa! And think how much better you're going to feel in the long run.

Diet-wise I'm the same as you- I struggle to resist the lure of sweet treats but as @Minerva said, taking your own is the best bet, helps avoid the temptation to a certain extent (I know from experience a chocolate bar still looks more appealing than an apple!). But as the queen of snacking at work, I can offer a few bits of advice:

First of all - write everything down! If I've got it written down to see exactly how many syns I've had it makes it a whole lot easier to cut them down! This is especially true when I can remember the big things, but not necessarily the little things that add up.

Breakfast I eat at my desk a lot of mornings, and tend to go with 2 Weetabix & Semi Skimmed Milk or Oat So Simple Porridge Sachet with Semi Skimmed Milk. Both options use my Hex A & B for the day and then I know everything else is going to be synned if it's not free. Sometimes I add a cheeky tablespoon of jam to the porridge (2 syns) but depends how many syns I intend to eat the rest of the day!

Snacks - my go to snacking choices at work are Noodle Mugshots (syn free!) and Muller Light Yoghurts (almost all flavours are free). Low syn-wise I have Chocolate Snack a Jacks which are 3 syns each for the big ones and help satisfy a chocolate craving, especially because they take me a few minutes to eat so they keep me occupid when I'm boredom eating. Hartley's Sugar Free Jellies (0.5syns each) and Alpen Light Chocolate and Fudge Bars (3 syns each). On top of that I always take fruit as well, normally a banana and some grapes and try and have a big filling lunch. This week I've been having jacket potato with beans & side salad for lunch - all free, but so filling!

I hope that helps! Here if you need any moral support :)

Go you... doing so well :D

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and for the work/food suggestions, really helpful :)

I have to do Day 2 of Wk 1 today of the C25K and i've woken up with a sore throat/stuffy nose - think it's the normal post-holiday cold :-( but I will get out there once my weetabix has gone down and ibuprofen kicked in! I've got a rare weekend off so also have to try and abstain from the wine/beer!! A challenge indeed!

XXXXXX

Strange question but... lots of people seem to weigh daily, yet i'm scared of getting on the scales at all. For me the reason i've failed in the past is that I get so fed up with just losing 2lb a week and it feels like i'll NEVER get there that I give up. Therefore although i'm sticking to plan i don't want to see how i'm doing - stupid I know :rolleyes: Anybody have any suggestions/advice? x

I find it's better to stick to once a week because my weight fluctuates daily (to be fair I think my scales are naff!) and I haven't always got time to weigh myself at the same time every day, so it could get confusing if you're a pound up here, pound down there... But don't lose heart 2lb a week is good and healthy and you WILL get there! I've been trying for 2 months now and lost 2lb overall :(

I find it's better to stick to once a week because my weight fluctuates daily (to be fair I think my scales are naff!) and I haven't always got time to weigh myself at the same time every day, so it could get confusing if you're a pound up here, pound down there... But don't lose heart 2lb a week is good and healthy and you WILL get there! I've been trying for 2 months now and lost 2lb overall :(

Thank you again - i'll try not to get on the scales until Tuesday as that's when I started. Another issue is my husband is also overweight and can drop a stone in a fortnight when he puts his mind to it. So I get proper peeved that I work my bum off and lose 1/2 pound and he drops a stone. But it's not about him this time - it's about me - slow and steady will win the race :tongue:

Yeah my MIL is like that, she loses 2 stone just by cutting out crisps or something whereas I feel I'm only eating lettuce and have lost 1lb! lol. We'll all get there in the end, just have to find out what works for our individual bodies!

we all want to lose weight over night.... but to be frank that's not how it went on..... think about it this way... if you were putting on 2lbs a week would you say "only" 2lbs???? I think not ;) 2lbs a week is great and it's not like you don't get benefits as you go along.... its not like saving up to buy something where you don't get the reward till the end x

we all want to lose weight over night.... but to be frank that's not how it went on..... think about it this way... if you were putting on 2lbs a week would you say "only" 2lbs???? I think not ;) 2lbs a week is great and it's not like you don't get benefits as you go along.... its not like saving up to buy something where you don't get the reward till the end x

That's a great way of putting it! :)

Thanks Heather I am most delighted..... if I could do that every week I would be on cloud 9 :angel:

Back