Non-emotional eating

real hunger comes on slowly and has no urgency to it. it doesnt involve focusing on one particular food. usually it is deep in the stomach and is not what you could call mouth or head hunger. if i've missed something, someone will be along soon with more to add

Yes, it can get a bit urgent though if you leave it long enough :D

It certainly doesn't have the compulsiveness attached to it...well, not necessarily for the 'beige foods'. I also find that as I get really hungry I can't distract myself. My thoughts just keep returning to having a meal. It's hard to concentrate, even when I'm doing something that I'm enjoying.

I start getting a bit headachey....sometimes a little lightheaded. Just before that, when I'm beginning to feel hungry, I feel good; energetic and very clear headed.

When I eat when hungry, I focus on my food more. I'm less distracted. After a while of eating, I find my thoughts wander and I know that I'm not really hungry anymore and am entering the 'satisfied zone'.

real hunger comes on slowly and has no urgency to it. it doesnt involve focusing on one particular food. usually it is deep in the stomach and is not what you could call mouth or head hunger. if i've missed something, someone will be along soon with more to add

Having started this thread and read the responses with interest I have so much to comment on, however, time is short to I'm just going to quickly respond to this.

I think the distinction Dancing makes between hunger and cravings is key here. I think of the number of times thinking I fancy eating X, whereas hunger should really be based on I need to eat something.

Great comment Dancing. When I've worked out how to do rep points, I'll give you some.

thanks for the tip re the book Deb - I haven't heard of it before and have just ordered it on Amazon. Really looking forward to reading it, espec after your fab advice and tips in your threads.

Back