Not a happy bunny

charlies_mummy

all for my little man x
Sorry just need to vent...

My car is in the garage after the suspension coil snapped piercing my wheel, picking it up today and costing us £300, all of the money in our account! We thought that's ok they though our working tax and child tax credit (about £280 a month) will see us through to next payday for fuel, food and nappies.

However, no money had been put through to us this morning, rang HMR&C who inform me that me and my other half now earn too much and so payments have been stopped, no warning letter, nothing! Am fuming!!!!

Have sat down and worked it out, with the tax we pay and now the tax credits going we are going to be £3000 worse off a year, I could cry :(

x

oh hun just sending a (((hug))), could you put you're car on your insurance?

In regards to the tax credits are you sure they have the right income down for you & your partner? It works on either last years income figures or this years income estimates you give them.

Don't think I could claim on insurance for it, and I believe my excess is £250 anyway, so would probably not be worth it in the long run, have good mind to make the council pay though considering it was more than likely the pot holes that caused it to happen!

They have not sent us any forms since last summer so it must be on last years earnings. It makes me so cross, me and my other half hardly see each other what with him working 8-4 mon-fri, and me working every weekend, and 2-3 evenings a week. We work like this so as to bring our little boy up ourselves, and we are getting penalised for it!!! Our tax each month is ridiculous, and we live each month by the money we earn, cannot afford to save and we never go out. Now without this extra bit of income we are going to be so so tight every month :(

I did see on the news that lots of tax credits etc were changing at the start of the new tax year (2 days ago??), I would have thought you'd have had some notice though, that's shocking that you haven't.
I think "they" leave it up to us these days to check what we are and are not entitled to.
Must be a real shocker though to discover it has stopped.

When my fella moved in with me, I lost my tax credits as I had to declare his earnings, even though my daughter isn't his and he didn't contribute to supporting her.

I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere though, although I was cross! So, I know how you feel hun. x

That is such a blow. To lose £70 a week is a lot of money especially when you consider what it can buy you in terms of groceries.

It is pretty tough on you. Is there any way you can appeal ?

hugs xxxxx

tax credits are annoying the life outta me right now. i am now self employed so claiming tax credits as working after expenses leaves me £150 per week but tax credits wont give me anything till hmrc send out proof ive reg self employed. so have childminder now owed 4 weeks money aswell as rent council tax everything else im living on nothing till its sorted!

Thanks everyone, think we are just going to have hope and pray that they have not stopped my child benefit, should be getting £80 tomorrow, if that has not been stopped we can just about make that last the next 3 weeks :s

I wouldn't have minded if they had just given us some warning really, we have managed on a much tighter budget before now. Just makes me wonder why I bothered to spend so long getting my degree to get a decent job, to then have that go against me!

x

tax credits are annoying the life outta me right now. i am now self employed so claiming tax credits as working after expenses leaves me £150 per week but tax credits wont give me anything till hmrc send out proof ive reg self employed. so have childminder now owed 4 weeks money aswell as rent council tax everything else im living on nothing till its sorted!

Hope it gets sorted really soon for you xxx

As long as neither of you are individually earning over 40k then your child benefit will be OK. :)

It might be worth getting a claim form from the Council to see if you can recover the cost if you can identify the pothole that damaged your car and when BUT remember there is no automatic entitlement to compensation. It all depends upon whether there is a legal liability. What Council is it?

And even if there is a liability it's unlikely to get sorted this side of payday. :(

Yeah all the tax credits have changed recently. Its ridiculous that they didn't warn you though! They are threatening my OH with a £400 a month before tax pay cut and there's talk of my shifts/weekends going which is around £300 a month :eek:. How do they think people can just manage without that a month. They think they are doing people a favour by saying 'Well at least you still have a job'. As awful as it sounds, I feel like I'd be better off losing my job cos then I'd get redundancy to last me a few months and I'd probably get more in benefits than I'd earn actually working. I know I'm making sweeping generalisations here and its probably not true. But it makes me mad :mad:.

As long as neither of you are individually earning over 40k then your child benefit will be OK. :)

It might be worth getting a claim form from the Council to see if you can recover the cost if you can identify the pothole that damaged your car and when BUT remember there is no automatic entitlement to compensation. It all depends upon whether there is a legal liability. What Council is it?

And even if there is a liability it's unlikely to get sorted this side of payday. :(

Did consider calling council, but to be honest there are so many potholes and such little chance I really can't be bothered with it all! x

Yeah all the tax credits have changed recently. Its ridiculous that they didn't warn you though! They are threatening my OH with a £400 a month before tax pay cut and there's talk of my shifts/weekends going which is around £300 a month :eek:. How do they think people can just manage without that a month. They think they are doing people a favour by saying 'Well at least you still have a job'. As awful as it sounds, I feel like I'd be better off losing my job cos then I'd get redundancy to last me a few months and I'd probably get more in benefits than I'd earn actually working. I know I'm making sweeping generalisations here and its probably not true. But it makes me mad :mad:.

So sorry to hear that, it sucks!

I know exactly what you mean, although I personally would not feel right not working, I look at people I know who are more than capable of working but choose not to, and they have all the latest things.

But then again, I have worked with so many people who need help fro the state and are unable to get it - makes no sense!!! x

That is awful !!!!

I hate to think of anyone living like this through no fault of there own. It is so wrong.
How are you expected to exist when you are waiting for something that is your legal and honest entitlement.

What are you supposed to do ???

Thanks everyone, think we are just going to have hope and pray that they have not stopped my child benefit, should be getting £80 tomorrow, if that has not been stopped we can just about make that last the next 3 weeks :s

I wouldn't have minded if they had just given us some warning really, we have managed on a much tighter budget before now. Just makes me wonder why I bothered to spend so long getting my degree to get a decent job, to then have that go against me!

x

This is all wrong as well. You should not have to live like this.

You should be rewarded for working so hard not penalised.

Oh to win the lottery on a mega win week. I could do so much with the money !!

love and hugs to you all xxxxxx

totally sucks fillymum, still waiting on evidence im self employed, though been told could be 31st may when i get it. god knows what childminder will say since we now into 4th week without fees. really hope things are sorted soon. when i rang tax credits they put me on hold only haddnt really so i could hear all there chatter about a shop closing. they dont take it seriously that by draggin there feet its your home and family that suffers x

when i rang tax credits they put me on hold only haddnt really so i could hear all there chatter about a shop closing. they dont take it seriously that by draggin there feet its your home and family that suffers x
You should make a complaint about this. Its terrrible customer service. I know alot of civil servants, and they are all worried about their jobs, but nothing gives them the right to just ignore you like this. I am not even affected by any of these changes as I don't have kids, and what I will be losing out on as a result of the tax banding changes my OH will be making back I think. But it makes me really really mad to think that people are being penalised in this way and that no one gives a toss.. :mad::mad:

I also get really annoyed about the way (some of) the media seem to portray people who are not in work at present. Of course there are a tiny minority of people who couldn't be bothered to get a job, and with the help of Brighthouse or whatever they are called managed to get flatscreen tellies and playstations etc but the reality is that 99.99% of people living on benefits have it very very tough and we never hear about them.:sigh:

Rant over - when that next march in London planned for?? Might have to go along again and not be so well behaved this time.

Back