Not giving CD credit where it's due?

I'm like most of you - I have told people at work when they ask what I'm mixing up but I still say " Oh, it's just replacing a couple of meals with shakes and bars and then having a normal meal when I get home " (I'm not though - I'm doing Sole Source)
I don't want to have to fend off their 'concern' (OK, well meant nevertheless) about not eating 'properly' and not losing too much weight too quickly.
I guess it was the eating 'properly' that gave me 4 extra stone in the first place :rolleyes:
I'm also probably taking in a far more balanced diet in terms of essentials now than I had in the past when I tried faddy diets, skipping meals etc.
I guess I also think like you that it can be seen as fairly extreme and might be regarded as 'last chance saloon' before the gastric band (and we all know how people try to keep THAT particular one quiet, don't we) :D

I only told my hubby, children and sister until recently.
When people noticed just how much weight I was losing I did tell those who wanted to know.
The only negativity I have encountered is from a couple of people who did the diet for a very short time and for whatever reason, didn't stay on it.
The people who have asked me, have initially looked skeptical about the diet but I answered the questions, gave them the facts and a few of them have enquired about the diet.
As far as I am concerned this is my diet as it is yours, I don't care what people think to be honest, as I know how much will power it's taken.
If my overweight friends choose to diet whichever way, I will support them, but if they diss my efforts I will feel sorry for them as they are obviously a bit jelous of my quick results!

x

the only people that know I'm doing cd is my husband and daughter, its not that I'm ashamed its the negative comments you get from people about diets such as cd/LL, so when people ask how I've lost weight I say low carbs and cutting out choc, which is kind of true. if people wern't so negative about meal replacement diets I'd shout it from the rooftops

I thought a lot about this just before I started CD (only on my 2nd week now), and initially was only going to let OH and my Mum know. However, I ended up telling the 2 colleagues I share an office with as I was drinking so much water and was off to the loo every half hour:eek: I've since told a few other friends - partly because I went out with one the other night and ordered pints of water in the pub for myself (barmaid thought it was hilarious!) and another friend is having a BBQ/party for her daughter (my god-daughter) on Sunday and I explained that I wouldn't be eating (didn't want to have to explain to everyone when I got there). When it starts to notice that I'm losing weight, I may tell a few more then but I am a little worried about 'advice' others may give about how dangerous it is, etc, when they don't really know much about CD. I def will not be telling my in-laws until I have to as I know they will disapprove but hope my DD's don't say anything to them as they have noticed me having soup at the dinner table whilst the rest of the family tuck into their dinner:sigh:. I have received much more positive reactions from those that I have told than I thought, one friend is even thinking about doing CD herself now so maybe there's not so much of a stigma attched to CD?:confused:

Thank you so much for this thread Dinosaur! This has been on my mind for some time. I am glad I finally decided to check out this forum as well!

This is my fifth week of SS, and the only ones who know is my family and close friends. I have struggled with weight for my whole adult live, and I do feel that CD is the way for me.

But I have been doing WW for some time as well, lost weight, but always gained it back. Two of my WW "friends" are very skeptical for the replacements diets in general. Yesterday one told me that of course I was loosing good weight, but what about later? Implying I would fail long term. That hurt of course. But I made up my mind after that phone call, that I wasn't going to listen or care about those types of comments.

The other one I told in the beginning of my CD journey, and she was negative toward the CD. Since then I haven't told her about my progress, and she hasn't asked either :D.

I will tell the ones that are really curious and interesting, not the ones who I don't know and are just making small talk.

Only my immediate family know. I was invited to dinner once by my uncle and aunt, and they kept prodding me to know why I wasn't eating, when I told them it was followed about 10 minutes of 'go one one bite won't hurt, you won't put on 10lbs just eating one meal' so I avoid dinner situations now.

People are always very negative towards those who are trying to lose weight, and I think a lot of the time it is jealousy, i even know someone who is stick thin who tried to do everything in her power to make me eat cream cakes and spring rolls ( i know eevil!!) so I keep things to myself. Losing weight makes people become confident and powerful and a lot of people esp women can't handle the thought of that fat girl becoming that gorgous slim woman. (sorry for the rant!)

At work I just make my drinks and tell people im having a milk shake or cup a soup, can't be dealing with all the negativity, don't need that in my life right now!!!

I only told my OH and my mum & dad at first and a v. close friend. I wanted to start the diet to see if I could do first before I told anyone else. Told a few close colleagues at work when they noticed my initial losses - they have been really supportive. Told parents in law, who are also supportive.

I have pretty much kept myself to myself for the last couple of months, so have avoided the conversation! People have started telling me I look 'really well' - must be skinny peoples code for 'have you lost weight' - in fact now three different sets of (skinny)people have told me how well I am looking - lol. It must be all the water. I haven't explicity told anyone else that I am loosing weight on CD - if asked I just say I am on a diet. I may tell some people and I may not tell others.

Well I have told people and all I get is negativity so if I was you, I'd carry on lying! X

I tell anyone that asks lol

Also have had alot of 'you look so well' im a driving instructor and obviously in a very very close environment with people who see me alot and they have noticed even though its only just over a stone :D

Havn't yet had any neg comments :)

Personally I think to lose doing something like CD shows such willpower & strength & the utmost courage to even contemplate not eating BUT you do get so many negative comments along the way so I can understand your unwillingness to tell the truth.
I tell people straight out & for anyone who is negative in any way I just tell them that I find it hard to choose the right food so this way it eliminates that part of the temptation.
I dont ever feel ashamed that I have started a 'last resort' diet because you should be proud that you are making that change. I do obviously feel bad that I have let myself get to over 17stone before tackling it but anyone that is worth worrying about is supportive that I am 'trying' anything.

Good luck hun & dont add another pressure on yourself :)
Niki
x

Dinosaur.. I am doing the same, no one knows I'm CD'ing apart from my mum and sister. Its nice to loose weight and no one to be going on at you all the time, "hows it going".. thats my pet hate about any diet.. so, slowly but surely, the lbs are going and its now visible. You must be getting so many ppl complimenting you though, as your loss is huge. xx

I'm a bit of an odd one! I tell nearly everyone that i'm doing CD...apart from my in-laws! :)
My sister is law is a cow and is doing s/w and losing weight...slowly...and i know i will get compared with her if i tell them i'm even dieting! So i tell them i've just cut out snacking between meals lol!!! how they ever believe me is beyond me! but they dont question me.
I love that i'm on CD and shout it from the roof tops...BUT i totally understand why some choose not to or cant tell how its all being done!

I totally agree with KD...your doing all the hard work, so as long as they know that you have the will power of an ox then i wouldnt worry about it! lol

Your doing really well so just keep up the good work hun!!!
Tell them when a) your ready and b) becuase you want to!!!
They certainly cant dispute the results then!!!!!!! :)
xxx

To those who have had negative comments, one thing I advise is to read lots and lots of facts and research about the diet.

When someone is negative, ask them what they are basing there comments on.... Then using yourknowledge based on FACT, blow their silly and often ignorant comments out of the water....

Fir those who say " You will get fat again" Say... "Yes of course if I go back to eating the way I did before, just like if I lost the weight any which way- but I am retraining my mind as well as my body and don't intend to go back to that unhealthy way of eating" You can also tell them the FACT that research shows that those who lose weight using a VLCD such as CD are in fact less likely to regain all the weight compared to those who lose weight in other ways....

I know I read this research somewhere but can't Remember where, maybe KD or Summer Knows which research it is???

x

Back