Not losing weight anymore for no apparent reason. I can't COPE

minis00n

My weight loss has stopped completely. I don't know how much longer I can take this. I lost 4 stone on WW in the months leading up to summer but since I've not lost anything. I've tried a VLCD and then Weightwatchers again but NOTHING. I'm endlessly denying myself calories for what? I'm sorry if I seem like a b*tch but it just doesn't seem fair.. :( It's making me so depressed.. I just look in the mirror and cry each day because I don't even have the uplifting feeling of knowing I was at least losing weight to bring me back up. Please can someone help? I think I may have hypothyroidism leading to this as I have various symptoms including the most common, being: tiredness, no weight loss regardless of a healthy diet/calorie defict, constipation, aches, dry skin, lifeless hair and feeling cold and heavy and irregular periods. All of which are frequent.. Someone help? I'm getting an appointment for next week to see at the earliest but I just need some inspirational or comforting words to help me feel better until I find out.. :( I'm almost feeling suicidal again; as pathetic as it sounds. It's the feeling of "no hope."

Right, firstly- some perspective. Losing weight is great but it isn't the be all and end all. If you are feeling suicidal then I suggest you see a GP, pronto because you are not in the best headspace right now. Being in a good place mentally is a key part of losing weight because it helps you focus on the one issue. If you think you have another physical issue which is preventing you losing weight, then get that fully checked out too.

Losing weight isn't the only part of a healthy lifestyle. Instead of forcing yourself onto plans and being frustrated when they don't work immediately, particularly if you suspect there is a medical reason for this, I suggest making small changes which will make you HEALTHIER rather than helping you lose weight. Start small. Aim to walk for 15 minutes a day. Start with one 'healthy' meal a day. Gradually increase the walking and the healthy eating- you can do this whilst getting your head in a happier place and having your GP investigate any thyroid issues you have. The walking and the eating more healthily will also make you feel better.

Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. And losing weight is NOT the most important thing in the world. Being healthy is- so first PLEASE discuss how you are feeling with your GP, mentally and physically and deal with that first. And if you want to, start making small healthy changes. They might not show on the scales but your body will feel it.

Good luck.

RawrGirl can relate to feeling depressed and hopeless. For the last 3 years, she has tired and tried and sacrificed and sacrificed and seen nothing on the scale, and clothes fit no different. For the last two years, she was on Atkins, and the year before WW. She was going to suggest a VLCD which is what she is now doing and FINALLY seeing some success, but you've said you already tried that. RawrGirl agrees with faery_lights that it's nothing worth killing yourself over...but she def knows the hopeless, crying, feeling pathetic for caring so much, and being so discouraged that you are going through.

When you did the VLCD, were you lifting weights regularly and to the point of muscle fatigue after the 12th rep? That is RawrGirl's only advice other than discussing with your doctor both the physical and mental/emotional aspect of everything as faery_lights suggested. Please hang in there...something will work. It took RawrGirl 3 years to find something...but she has finally lost inches. (She cried so much over her weight, her Prince Charming took the scale away, so she's not sure how many pounds she has lost).

Back