Extra Easy Not overweight but on slimming world- advise?

Agree with it being a whole other conversation but my god does this wind me up too!!! I could walk to a million shops and struggle to find a piece of fruit yet they're stacked high with goodies at the tills and "£1 aisles" - no wonder this is the way it is! The odds are stacked against people from the get-go unless they are seriously focused. x

The worst for me is when having to make a long journey in the car. Service stations are rubbish at having anything vaguely healthy to buy. I'm usually organised and will pack up goodies for myself, but sometimes it would just be nice to grab something. I went in one a while back and looked at their sandwiches and salads. The salads had more calories in it than the sandwiches!! If I wasn't an obsessed label reader I would have picked up the salad thinking it would be the lighter option but it was anything but!

Are you going to be honest with yourself though? When you reach the bmi of 20 are you going to stop? If you are at 22 and feel you need to lose more it might be worth assessing how you feel about yourself.

Unless 20 is a level your body naturally feels happy at, it is approaching that of an eating disorder. The old 'you've lost enough now' does come thick and fast from friends and relatives who might not be used to seeing you differently. But bmi is objective (though at the margins it can be inaccurate). 22 is utterly perfect spot on and healthy.

If you want excuses to colleagues who are putting their nose in, just tell them it's a wheat intolerance and you get smelly wind if you don't avoid it.

I don't really have any advice because I get the same reaction. I've put on weight this week and I'm a bit annoyed but I'm not telling anyone in case of the eye rolls and the why are you even dieting anyway, you better watch it doesn't turn into an obsession, kind of comments. Slimming world can be used as a healthy eating tool anyway but people don't understand this.

True it can. Healthy eating lessons.... But I still hold that weight loss can be quite exhilarating, and it can become obsessive. Knowing when to stop is not as easy as it sounds.

Are you going to be honest with yourself though? When you reach the bmi of 20 are you going to stop? If you are at 22 and feel you need to lose more it might be worth assessing how you feel about yourself. Unless 20 is a level your body naturally feels happy at, it is approaching that of an eating disorder. The old 'you've lost enough now' does come thick and fast from friends and relatives who might not be used to seeing you differently. But bmi is objective (though at the margins it can be inaccurate). 22 is utterly perfect spot on and healthy. If you want excuses to colleagues who are putting their nose in, just tell them it's a wheat intolerance and you get smelly wind if you don't avoid it.

I'm sorry gazter but I have to take objection to your statement that having a BMI of 20 is approaching an eating disorder. There is a lot involved with an eating disorder, not just weight and you will find the majority of BMI charts place the healthy weight range between 18.5 and 25. SW allow you to set your target to a BMI of 20 and no lower. They are obviously happy with people aiming for that so other people should be able to accept it to.

I agree that people shouldn't just be aiming for the lowest number they can get to but everyone here is following the plan as it is intended and aiming for a healthy weight. Why shouldn't they be afforded the same courtesy as those whose target is a little higher?

I'm sorry gazter but I have to take objection to your statement that having a BMI of 20 is approaching an eating disorder. There is a lot involved with an eating disorder, not just weight and you will find the majority of BMI charts place the healthy weight range between 18.5 and 25. SW allow you to set your target to a BMI of 20 and no lower. They are obviously happy with people aiming for that so other people should be able to accept it to.

I agree that people shouldn't just be aiming for the lowest number they can get to but everyone here is following the plan as it is intended and aiming for a healthy weight. Why shouldn't they be afforded the same courtesy as those whose target is a little higher?

well, I object to many things in life. But please accept the comments in the spirit they are given. A bmi of 20 is *approaching* the kind of levels in which a medical professional would be considering an eating disorder.

While bmi is a useful tool, I have concerns about the bandings. At bmi of 20 you are only a stone away from being diagnosed as anorexic.

well, I object to many things in life. But please accept the comments in the spirit they are given. A bmi of 20 is *approaching* the kind of levels in which a medical professional would be considering an eating disorder. While bmi is a useful tool, I have concerns about the bandings. At bmi of 20 you are only a stone away from being diagnosed as anorexic.

I do accept that your comments are coming from a place of concern but they are I'll informed and are the reason that some of us experience this behaviour depicted in this thread.

I've just gone onto the NHS website and used their BMI tool. It tells me that the healthy range of weights for my height is 9 st 10lbs - 13 st 3lbs. My target of 10 st 8.5lbs has me well within this range. It puts me only a stone away from being underweight. Not anorexic. Again from the NHS guidelines mild/moderate anorexia when defined by weight alone is a BMI less than 17.5 and severe anorexia as a BMI of less than 15. So for me to be diagnosed with anorexia based solely on weight I would need to weigh less than 9 st 4 lbs so a full 1 stone 8.5lbs away, and that is only in terms of weight not taking into consideration any of the other indicators.

Again I'm not having a go and I definitely would hate for anyone to go too far and get ill but I don't like the assumption that just because someone is aiming for just lower of the middle of the healthy range that all of a sudden they are going to starve themselves to death. If people are following the SW plan correctly as intended then there is no danger of this as we are encouraged to eat full balanced meals.

Back