Not really off topic but...

Tesco sells walnut oil. Look for smaller sized bottles near the olive oil. Keep it in a cupboard and don't let it stand in sunlight and keep an eye on the use-by date.

When you are buying an avocado, press gently with your thumb at the top where the stalk used to be. It should give a little. If it is too hard, it will ripen up at home, so don't worry. Don't store whole ones in the fridge, although once you have cut one in half you should store the remainder in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm. If the other half does go a little brown, it doesn't matter, it will be OK to eat.

Oh my goodness, you are missing a treat! Yes, they are a bit high in syns, but so delicious. I always buy the Haas ones (dark, very rough skin) and have half one day and half the next. Sometimes I just eat them with a spoon, but a favourite is in a wholemeal sandwich with tomato and basil.

Oh that sounds so good.

I haven't eaten butter for years as it made me feel ill, I loved it but it made me feel so bad. I used to mash an avocado onto a really good granary or rye bread and have it ust as you have described.

Thanks for the reminder. Well worth syning and the cholestral in them is the goodie one !!!

Hi RegField :D
Do they have to be peeled? Cooked? :)
x

The most important thing when buying an avocado is that it is not rock hard. You will be so dissapointed if you try to eat one that is hard. They should have a little give in them. Eat it as soon as you have prepared it. They go brown quite quickly. If you want to avoid that happening just squeeze some lemon juice on the flesh.

Enjoy !!!

ooohhh I used to have mine sliced on home made granary bread -with feta, red onion and a drizzle of balsamic :drool:

I like haas ones for bashing -but I find them a bit soft for salads -so I have the other ones on salad now with a healthy extra of feta mmmmm

They come in at about 7.5syns per half -but ooh they are worth it aren't they :D

Oooh, thanks Capricorn, going to try that !!
I have some Phily light sweet chili cheese in might try with that.. lettuce and sweet cherry tomatoes. yum !!!

I do hope if you try one you enoy it. They are perfect with prawns or smoked salmon as well.

Tesco sells walnut oil. Look for smaller sized bottles near the olive oil. Keep it in a cupboard and don't let it stand in sunlight and keep an eye on the use-by date.

When you are buying an avocado, press gently with your thumb at the top where the stalk used to be. It should give a little. If it is too hard, it will ripen up at home, so don't worry. Don't store whole ones in the fridge, although once you have cut one in half you should store the remainder in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm. If the other half does go a little brown, it doesn't matter, it will be OK to eat.

Many thanks RegField :D Handy info :D
It's difficult to tell when some things are ripe, like melons for example :confused: haha

With melons (and pineapples), pick them up and smell them! Don't worry if people look at you sideways - it is really a good way to tell. You are looking for a good strong melon smell, but not over-ripe or metallic. If it smells like you want to eat it then and there - then buy it!

With melons (and pineapples), pick them up and smell them! Don't worry if people look at you sideways - it is really a good way to tell. You are looking for a good strong melon smell, but not over-ripe or metallic. If it smells like you want to eat it then and there - then buy it!

Haha, thanks RegField :D I've just sliced into a melon that finally became ripe after sitting on my counter for four days :sigh: At least it's ripe now, and very tasty :D I'd rather eat it when I buy it so shall be sniffing the ripe ones out from now on :p

oooh and with pineapples -tug one of the spikey leave in the centre and if it comes out easily its ripe :D -I do a couple in case someone has pulled one and left it in ;)

Haha, Good one Capricorn ;)

I don't buy pineapples though because I don't like it :yuk: Wish I did because I luurve the juice, but just can't get passed the texture of the actual fruit, grrr :mad:
Don't know of any other that I don't like, but then haven't tried ALL the fruit out there lol. Have you ever had Ugli fruit?
X

Another tip with melons is to give it a smack and if it sounds hollow it is ready to eat. I used to wonder what all the Spanish ladies were doing spanking the melons, I thought it was some kinky ritual. I was quite disappointed to find it was so innocent lol.

Another tip with melons is to give it a smack and if it sounds hollow it is ready to eat. I used to wonder what all the Spanish ladies were doing spanking the melons, I thought it was some kinky ritual. I was quite disappointed to find it was so innocent lol.

:8855::8855:

Back