Not sure where I belong....

Gerry

Hi everyone :wavey:,

I've been on Mini's for just over a year now. I started on the Surgical Weight Loss Forum, as in the past, I'd tried everything I could to loose weight, but nothing worked. After seeing lots of successful stories on TV early last year, and watching a friend have a Gastric Bypass and loose 10 stone, I felt that it was the only option left open to me. However, I have quite a few fears and phobias along with other health problems. I won't bore you with it all, suffice to say I'm registered disabled and have been all my life. Although my disability does severely restrict my ability to exercise in the same way as others, I do try my best. A walk that might take anyone else 10 minutes could take me over an hour, but I will have a go if I can.

I think that when I accepted in my mind, that I would have to have surgery to ever loose weight, that prompted me to try a bit harder myself. I knew the hospital would want to see some effort on my part, so I decided to change a few things myself. I started having Tesco's Lighter Choices shakes (equivalent to Slim Fast), two a day, and stopped eating out so much, cut down on take aways, stopped eating sweets like they were the only food on earth and started eating more healthy options. I tend to think more before I eat anything, rather than grabbing the first thing to hand. I do still indulge from time to time, but my mind set has changed. I no longer feel like I have fallen off the waggon if I have a treat, and just enjoy it and keep on with the diet, where as before I would give up, thinking I'd ruined my efforts.

So far, since about July/August last year, I have lost 2st. I know it's slow progress, but it's better than still being the 21st 7lb that I was in April of 2007. I weighed myself this morning and I am 19st 4lb. Now I have lost some weight, I find it slightly easier to exercise, although do still suffer pains at night, which I think is due to my altered stance now I am not carrying so much weight. I also think it is better in the long run, for me to loose the weight naturally, and have more chance of 'toning up' than to loose it in a rush by having surgery and then be left with lots of saggy skin.

Maybe I am still trying to convince myself, I don't know. All I know is that I am enjoying being able to buy clothes in more places because more places do my size, and I am not limited to outsize shops. At my biggest, I was in size 30/32 for some things, just to be comfortable. Yesterday I bought a pair of size 20 jeans that actually fit :bliss:. I love that feeling and want more of it. I crave it more than any of the food I used to enjoy.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi to the peeps here and wish you all luck in your own efforts to loose weight. Hope to get to know some of you more.

well done gerry,

you're doing fabulously well so far, and it must have been a hard decision to decide not to go for the wls. it's very brave to attempt it all on your own when there seems to be so many obstacles.

everyone on here is so supportive, though (as you probably already know) and just knowing there's people in the same boat is very encouraging for us all!

mini's is the best place to come for support, love and encouragement and if you ever feel like you are falling of the wagon - then there'll always be someone here to pick you up, dust you off and chuck you back on again!!

you sound like you're in the right mindset which is incredibly important, so....good luck!!

Thank you rhuba. It certainly does help to have others who are also treading the same somewhat weary path. Having support from others has really helped me this time, regardless of how they have lost their weight. We are all different and manage our weight loss in different ways. I think for me, sitting and thinking of the fact that I have six children (although mostly grown up now) and three (soon to be five) grand children, that I want to see grow up, got me thinking about what if I didn't come through surgery, and also what if I simply died from being overweight. I know that at 19st 4lb, I am still considdered obese, but I am 2st less obese than I was six months ago, so that has to help. As you say, the mind set is important. I don't feel that I am really on a diet. I think I have finally educated my mind to realise that scoffing three of something that is bad for you one after the other is not healthy. I can get just as much enjoyment and comfort out of eating one single chocolate as I used to out of eating a whole bag without thinking. I look at the calories of everything I buy and when shopping I think to myself "ok, so I could eat that, it doesn't haev many calories, but do I really need it anyway? If I am managing without, I'll only eat it if I have it in the house". I never thought I would feel this way about food before, and used to blame my weight on all sorts of things, but now I have learnt more about it. I think my saviour has been the meal replacement shakes, which make me feel so full that I don't want anything much else. Right now, I am raring to go for a walk, but can't on my own, so am eager for hubby to come in after work and take me. The nice weather helps on that. Ten minutes on the treadmill is like ten hours when you are staring straight ahead just watching the digits click over.

I feel so much better in myself and just want it to continue.

gerry i as a wls patient admire and respect your decision towards your food choices, seeing food as a "lifestyle" change rather than a "diet". upmost respect to you and well done on your weight loss !

liz xxx

I think you've done fabulously well to lose so much in 2 months. Slow and steady and it'll stay off. In another 6 months you'll be even slimmer and happier about your life changes. Congrats on the grands, by the way. My N°2 is about to arrive any day now!

Back