Not weighing in every week

Babana

Has anyone had the willpower not to weigh in every week? I only ask as it's something that I'm considering.

A dietician friend of mine strongly believes that no household should have scales and that if you 'must' weigh in then do it no more than once a month at somewhere like Boots.

She says that becoming fitter and healthier is not about how much weight you lose in a week especially as when weight loss inevitably plateaus it is easy to lapse into bad ways.

She strongly advocates the use of a hunger scale and retraining the way you think about food rather then following specific diets. For me I think calorie counting is definitley making me think differently especially when it comes to portion control and making the right choices.

My weigh in day is Thursday. I might try to skip it this week and see if I can hang out til next Thursday so it will have been 2 weeks between weigh ins. I might gradually build myself up to monthly weigh ins.

Does anyone else do this?

I wish I could do this, I see the reasoning as I have become that obsessed I weight myself at least twice a day ( unhealthy I know) :(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

If you have the strength to do it go for it... i found downsizing from daily to weekly did me the power of good even though I didn't like it at the time. The sad thing is a lot of us rely on the scales to keep us happy, and when thats removed the food comes back to replace it.

I have scales in my house, but I weigh at my local boots once a week. I don't like doing it in the house because I know the weight wont show until after a few days. So I'm psychologically happy to wait to each saturday. I could probably leave it every two weeks, but dieting with a friend and she likes to see it every week, she does use her house scales though and that number dominates her mood often.

If you have the strength to do it go for it... i found downsizing from daily to weekly did me the power of good even though I didn't like it at the time. The sad thing is a lot of us rely on the scales to keep us happy, and when thats removed the food comes back to replace it.

Yes, I'm fearful of that too but I'm going to try. Weigh in should be tomorrow but I'm feeling quite motivated at the moment and see if I can get to next week without stepping on those scales...time will tell!

I really need to do something as I must way myself five times a day (at least!) I think I need to hide the scales and try one week at first!

At the beginning of April I am going to weigh and then wait until the beginning of May. I am going to just do what I normally would without the weighing.

I would love to have the willpower to go a month without weighing. I think sometimes you get on the scales expecting a nice loss and if you don't see it (water retention from time of the month or whatever reason) it can dishearten you and make you want to give up.

My weight seems to vary day to day so I try and only weigh once a week but might try out for two weekly instead. I recently upped my exercise and I know it can take a little while for your body to get used to it.

Hi, Ive snuck in from SW, but I just wanted to say that weighing once a month actually sounds like such a good idea. Youre friend is talking a lot of sense, if youre eating healthier and getting fitter, what the scales say isnt the be all and end all. When you lose weight you can still lose lean muscle mass not just fat, which isnt good for you in the long run. I do think sometimes we get too hung up on the scales rather than listening to and looking at our bodies.

Back