Nothing is working anymore.

Perhaps some reading this thread will feel I am being 'Miss Gloom and doom ' far too early in the game.
I have been overweight/obese since I developed my eating disorder back in 1983, so I have been in this game a very long time now.
I joined Slimming World online, as I am not able to go to local meetings as I am not in England just now, I am back in NY.
I joined on the 30th of June. The first day I dropped 1.3 pounds so was feeling optomistic that I could manage 1-2 pounds a week on a fairly consistant basis (I need to lose about 50 odd pounds ).
The second, third and fourth days I remained the same and today being the fifth day the scale went up, so a total loss of 1 pound in 5 days.
I am very discouraged because I exericse like mad.
I own my own treadmill, and today I did a 91 minute non stop session, which is fairly amazing as I am obese, not that young anymore and mostly because it is 37 degrees centigrade here now, we are in the middle of a massive heatwave in NY.

I spent 60 quid on the 3 month program and there are no refunds, so I am stuck having lost that 60pounds/90 dollars.

I finally have health insurance again so will have to set up an appointment soon with the doctor for some major thyroid testing.
I track everything that goes in my mouth, I exercise anywhere from 200-1000 minutes per week, I do not drink or smoke and I am a vegetarian.
What else on earth can I do ?
I am so discouraged over it all. One can not ( or at least I can not ) put forth so much effort for such little results.
:cry:

oh dear:gen126: from what you've said you're doing everything right, I agree with you, have some major thyroid testing done.

I only say this because you're situation is similar to mine, at the end of the day, if you have a 'normal' functioning body and your output (exercise) is greater than your input (food) you WILL lose weight.

I have a grossly underactive thyroid, I stick to the SW plan, I walk on average 5 miles a day, do 2 very strenuous training sessions with a personal trainer every week, yet in 6 weeks I have lost and gained, lost and gained and ended up with a half pound weight loss.

My doctor says I should be ecstatic that I am not putting on weight at the mo, until the extra thryoid meds kick in, which unfortunately takes weeks.. so get yourself the testing done asap, I'd be interested to know what your TSH level is.

Good luck and hope you get yourself sorted but don't give in!! all will come good in the end for sure!

Try not to worry about day-to-day fluctuations. No doubt with all that exercise you're converting some of the fat to muscle - which can only help the weight loss in the long run. You're doing it right by the sounds of things, you just gotta give it a bit of time.

BTW I'm a veggie too *waves hello* :)

I'm not surprised you're not losing weight, been there, done that, totally understand what I did wrong, hope I can pass the knowledge on! Fairy Cakes, you're exercising too much, your body has to have a certain amount of calories in order to function, it sounds like you're doing what I did, sending it into disarray by not feeding it enough to function and it's holding on to whatever it can for fear that you're going to exercise even more and next week it'll not have enough to work your primary systems, never mind anything more.

Take it easy and give your slimming club some time. You've been doing this since I was born so a few days is not going to solve it for you, think looooongterm. I think you would really really benefit from buying Shelley Bovey's book, "What have you got to lose?".

Thanks !

Thank you so much both of you for your lovely replies and not telling me to just ' put on my big girl pants and deal with it ', you sensed my frustration and your thoughts on the matter are very helpful.
I am worried that that my thryoid will be subclinical and will show as nothing wrong which often happens. But I will be setting up an appointment soon to have blood work done. I am also in the last stages of perimenopause so will have hormone levels checked as well.
I have been taking liquid iodine drops daily to no avail ( kelp ), but I think my insulin resistance and never ending chronic insomnia plays a role as well.
Maybe I am a late bloomer and the plan will kick in next week sometime.
Here' hoping ..............
Thanx again for responding.
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Fairycakes, if you have insulin resistance issues couple Bovey's book with Dr. Schwarzbein's and you'll be laughing. Good luck!

Hi Faustina !
Thank you so much for your reply to my problem.
I know for a fact the Swartzbein book is available at my local library, so can nip over and get that, the other book I have jotted down both the title and author and will see about getting it from the library if not will purchase it from Amazon. If not available over here, will have the BF get it for me in England and ship over.
Thank you for your advice and for reading my thread !!

:read::read:

I think you'll like Shelley's book Victoria, she is very kind and actually emailed me back when I contacted her for advice, she's a lovely lady who has been there herself, sort of still is. Defo get over that library, but more importantly take your sweet time, just aim to be lighter next year than this year, but take your time, you deserve a rest from all this anxiety.

Back