Now that nearly at target! what next ?

Cavycrazy

Silver Member
I know i have posted about this before but it was ages ago...and I was a fair way from my target...but now that I am approaching my target weight...my thoughts are on to maintaining and how best to do that.

Originally I thought GI type diet..but am now swaying more to weight watchers and keeping an eye on my daily points.

What are other maintainers doing diet wise to help keep them on straight and narrow...i would love to hear your thoughts.

So far have been focused on getting my excess pounds off, but time to start planning for the future.

That's an easy one for me. I'm not dieting in the normal sense. Just trying to judge the right amount of food.

I did count calories for the first year with WLR so that I was really clear about what amounts I could eat to keep me stable, and also to get the balance between fat/carbs/protein.

Now I'm on my own. Xmas brought a little gain, so I'm just having slightly smaller portions of everything.

When I did Cambridge, I knew it was going to be my last diet ever. So far so good. (Cutting down a little on everything once after holidays and Christmas doesn't count;) )

So, I don't do low carb, gi, occassional CDs (though I wouldn't mind that!). Neither do I chose low cal substitutes if I prefer the real natural thing...like butter for instance. I just want to be normal :D

Works for me.

Congratulations on nearly meeting your target. I've still got a way to go before reaching my target but I have two choices Gi diet like yourself and Slimming World.

GI Diet as you won't feel hungry, but i'm more inclined to stick with Slimming World. I find this diet is more flexible and variety as long as you stick to the core rules which is not mixing carbs with protein. I want follow the maintenance program of this.

I'm planning to join tesco ediets and try out their plans to give me some guidance, ideas, organisation and extra support.

At the moment I'm assessing myself. How has my eating impulses, habits etc changed or not. Giving myself some freedom to see how I go.

Dizzy x

That's an easy one for me. I'm not dieting in the normal sense. Just trying to judge the right amount of food.

I did count calories for the first year with WLR so that I was really clear about what amounts I could eat to keep me stable, and also to get the balance between fat/carbs/protein.

Now I'm on my own. Xmas brought a little gain, so I'm just having slightly smaller portions of everything.

When I did Cambridge, I knew it was going to be my last diet ever. So far so good. (Cutting down a little on everything once after holidays and Christmas doesn't count;) )

So, I don't do low carb, gi, occassional CDs (though I wouldn't mind that!). Neither do I chose low cal substitutes if I prefer the real natural thing...like butter for instance. I just want to be normal :D

Works for me.

This is my goal. I want to be exactly like this. It seems a bit like the Holy Grail atm though... :(

I'm way off target but i've thought about it. I think i'll go to Slimming World as I used to follow it and lost weight but i wanted a quicker way to target and also didn't want to deal with food.
SW has variety and it's easy to follow.

Cavycrazy well done you!!

It's a tricky one and one I'm also trying to decide on, I also only have a few lbs left before reaching goal. I am trying to decide also whether to stop sole source now and lose the small remainder doing something else (I am gagging for food!).

I am currently looking into GI but WW tends to work really well and is an extremely healthy diet in my opinion, I always feel great on WW as I stuff my face full of no point options - veg and salad!

Anyone got any tips?

Hey by the way I would LOVE to be able to never "diet" again but feel I will always have to think about what I'm doing food-wise. I am a self-confessed food addict and think about food all day long grrrr!

I forgot to add that I am confused about whether or not to combine CD into the diet of choice - ie should I cut out CD altogether or continue to have one for brekky/lunch? Are you feeling as confused CavyCrazy or is it just me :rolleyes:

thanks everyone for your input. Its very interesting to read others thoughts on how they are going to maintain once at target. Its a great help and very interesting to read. Thank you. :)

I know for me I will need to 'control' what I am eating or I could spiral out of control and I do not want to do that.:eek:

For me I do think WW is perfect. I am familiar with the points system and I know it does work when you stick to it.

I forgot to add that I am confused about whether or not to combine CD into the diet of choice - ie should I cut out CD altogether or continue to have one for brekky/lunch? Are you feeling as confused CavyCrazy or is it just me :rolleyes:

Hi Sarah,

I cant say I am confused...just thinking ahead at the moment. What I am doing out of interest now is to work out how many WW points I am having a day on CD 1000 plan.

I was once told 60 cal = 1 WW point so 1000 plan = approx 16.6 points). Anyone else ever heard this ???

If it is right then should still loose weight on this as normal recommended points for me at my current weight to loose on WW plan is 20 ! So 16 is well under.

When I get to progress to CD 1200 plan (going on same equasion 1200 = 20 points) which would be the normal amount of points on WW.

CD 1500 plan = 25 WW points... which going on past experience is probably about right to maintain.

When I get to CD 1200 plan, thats when I think I will 'officially' start to count my points (will have 20 a day), as having looked at the CD recipe pages I will be struggling to make/do have those. They are a bit limited for a veggie so intend to do some of my own so can have more variety but also following the guildeline of low GI.

I still want to have my 2 x CD packs a day (approx 2 points each) and hopefully will be able to continue to have them until maintaince level is reached. :D

Hope I havent sent you all to sleep with my bit of a ramble. :eek: . I will keep you up to date with how it all works out for your interest, if anyone else is considering WW plan when got to their targets or approaching it like I am.

Cheers x

Have also bee giveine this lots of thought.
Thinking about GI,but not 100% sure
Great to read how others feel and what they are doing
Libbie x

I am 5lbs off target (but at a 'normal' weight) and have cut out the CD packs as just couldn't justify the expense!! I was going to follow a low GI diet but can't be a*sed with following any particular diet to be honest. I have replaced all my white bread/pasta with granary/wholemeal, eat less carbs in general, eat less calories, eat four smaller meals a day, only treat myself occasionally, eat healthier - it's all just common sense stuff really as I don't want to have to think about it all too much!! :)

I can gibe you what I do, although its not a named diet, really a bit similar to Karions.

I recommened that you work through the stages, this has so helped me so I havent flooded my body with food, slowly introducing different foods has helped me so much.

During the week I eat healthily, I have shredded wheat, smoothies (a new thing for me!) or porridge for breaky

Maybe a soup with wholemeal pitta for lunch or tuna stuffed pittas something like that. Cottage cheese ryvitas etc or a salad.

For an evening meal I have grilled white meat lots of veggies/salad with it.

On a weekend I do treat myself, without going mad, I just dont think as healthily as I do in the week.

I have swapped white for wholegrain, in rice bread and pasta, but still low carb mostly, I do have carbs but small amounts.

Its working for me x

I can gibe you what I do, although its not a named diet, really a bit similar to Karions.

I recommened that you work through the stages,

Funny you should say that, as I was just thinking about this thread and whether we were talking about maintenance as in 'finished the stages', or maintenance as in 'starting stage 2', which isn't really maintenance as you still continue to lose IMO.

I also highly recommend doing the stages if you possibly can, then when you've finished, maintain your weight with whatever suits and as I said earlier, this means never dieting again :)

Sorry...just had to clarify :)

Back