nzmegs - Maintenance Diary

Hope the meetings going well and you didn't get too bedraggled in this awful weather.

Increased confidence and self esteem is a big plus for me about having lost weight. I even walk differently, with my head up and not looking at the floor.

Remember nerves are good. They give us that extra bit of oomph when we need it.

The meeting went fine. I talked too much as usual, which is typical of me. But I think I came across as intelligent sounding and I certainly know about the business of writing. The two clients are both happy for me to do work for them and that was the main hoped for outcome. So two new clients added to my list. I guess that is a successful day!

I have been making the most of a small break in the rain to have a walk into town today. it is an hour each way. I walked home and got a lift in. The walk was lovely but on the way home I went via the house of someone i know who I have been encouraging to try a low carb lifestyle. This person is very negative about their weight and feels that nothing will help them. I managed to convince them that cutting out carbs will really help. Now i warned that the first few days will feel awful while she gets the addictive carbs out of her system and gets into ketosis.

The last time she tried this she gave up because she felt too bad. Well, when i walked past her house, I noticed she was home with the bedroom curtains drawn· it seems that she has had the day off work - two days into her new diet. I really fear that she has given up already or is finding it all too hard. I could have knocked - but I don't think I could stand the whole "it is too hard" sob story. I have heard it before. The thing is that we have all done this before. Used every excuse under the sun to avoid doing what seems too hard. I find it frustrating that i have taken my time and effort to explain exactly what to do, been supportive and positive about the benefits and there is a good chance that she will just give up. Not considering the fact that it lets me down as well.

The worse thing is that i know I did this to my husband over and over. it feels awful and I must apologise to him for it. In the past I took inspiration and advice from all sources and expected total support and then gave up when the going got rough. No wonder people just started giving up on me. Until I found LL and the counselling there was no one left who i could have relied on to support me through weight loss. I am tryign to be supportive for my friend, but this is really hard when she is so negative. I really hope i am wrong, but past experiences are clouding my judgement.

Could this be one of the 'games' which you and your friend play - with the same roles over and over again? You as recuer and her as victim with you moving into the victim role later? Just a thought.

Glad your meeting went well!

Oh weasey - perceptive as usual! Yep - its a game alright. I don't want to play any more.

Just noticed you have reached your goal - congratulations!! I hope you feel really proud of yourself. You have done so well. Such an amazing weight loss and in less than a year. I bet it was so worth while. Infact, I know that it was!

Thanks! Yes, I reached my goal at weigh in last Thursday. Am now on phase 2 (I've been on lite for a few months but without the dairy - effectively phase 2 is te same things so I'm adding dairy in again.). Think I'll stay on this for at least another week. I want it to be normal and comfortable before I move on. I'm not in a hurry - I suspect that this will be the hardest bit so far...

Weasey - good call with the game-playing idea. I was wondering something similar but didn't manage to articulate what I meant. It's interesting, isn't it, how LL is about so much more than food and weight? Well done on your weight loss, by the way - you've done brilliantly!

Thanks Spanglymum! It's interesting how you can apply these things to life in general isn't it? I find it's much easier to identify them in other people than in myself though! I think that's the power of group counselling and on the forums too - you identify it in other people and then realise that you could also aplpy that to yourself... If only I could learn to apply it directly to myself...

Nzmegs - haven't seen you on here in a while. How's things?

Back