O...M...G, just dont understand

Neveragain

Just got weighed tonight and i have gained!! +1lb.

I have 100% stuck to it all this week, drank loads of water, did a diary, filled my plate with superfree and its my second week at the gym. But my trainer put me on a weights program on thursday last week and this was the first week doing loads weights.
Please please please tell me its cos my body is in shock from the weight or bloody something cos I cant be doing 100% of slimming world and gaining.

(can you tell im upset hahahaha)

did you do anything different before WI this week than you did last week?
drank more water?
didn't go to the loo before you went?
wore different clothes?
any difference in what you do can add weight to you..
are you eating more to counteract the extra exercise?
are you eating enough?
if you are weight training then you may be gaining muscle density...

Could be due to the exercise- I gained 2.5 the other week due to upping my exercise, I think. Stick with it, it WILL come off, and lets face it, none of us started SW to lose numbers on the scales but to get more toned and smaller and feel better and the gym WILL help you do that, even if it takes a few weeks to show on the scales.

I would also be annoyed and upset with all that hard work and it didnt pay off, but if you carry on doing what you're doing then im sure next week you will have a double loss - because you truely deserve it.

Im not an exercise expert so i cant say yes its because of the weights etc. You know what you're doing is the right thing, i hope next weeks weigh in is better for you.

x

Hi there try not to be down hearted my brother is a gym instructor and says it is most possibly water retained around the muscles protecting them from the new weight programme continue drinking the water and hopfully you will see a loss next week ..... hope that helps he is normally right in these things.x oppologies in advance if this is not the case though.

did you do anything different before WI this week than you did last week? Nope had the same superfree soup at 2ish
drank more water? have been filling up the evian sport bottle 3 times a day
didn't go to the loo before you went? Yes always go to the toliet in the center before i weigh in
wore different clothes? I did wear different clothes but toke my second layer off before standing on the scales.
any difference in what you do can add weight to you..
are you eating more to counteract the extra exercise? I thought i was forgot to say im losing inches tho. top was tight before the two weeks now its baggy
are you eating enough?

Thanks, I was thinking about dropping the weights for a bit. what do you think?
I have lost inches and people have notice which has helped me this week, just so disappointed hard work like you said jellybean and not paying off.
Thanks for the comments you guys, needed to hear that at the mo. just dont know if its wise to let got of the weight training for now or not.

I feel the same, I only lost 1lb this week and have stuck 100% and done loads (for me) at the gym, been 5 times and done a class.

Hi if it makes you feel good then i'd stick with it theres a myth that muscle weighs more than fat this is apparently not true and i'd say when your body gets used to the weights then you'll notice a change in shape and on the scales. i wish you all the best x

Muscle does weigh more than fat which is why on the BMI scale body builders, wrestlers, boxers etc are all classed as obese even when they are as fit as they are. When you first start working out your body will retain water but after regularly working out for 2-3 weeks your body will adjust and your weight loss will start again. Weights are important as they build muscle strength which reduces the risk of injury when you do cardio and they also help your body to continue burning calories after you have finished your workout.

Could be due to the exercise- I gained 2.5 the other week due to upping my exercise, I think. Stick with it, it WILL come off, and lets face it, none of us started SW to lose numbers on the scales but to get more toned and smaller and feel better and the gym WILL help you do that, even if it takes a few weeks to show on the scales.

Fantastic advise :)

I'm quite similar.... Stuck to the plan to a 't' and have done 5 hardcore spinning classes however it didn't show in the scales!

I don't think I've been drinking enough water so I've made a concious effort to drink 2 litres a day. I love spinning & step, makes me feel on top of the world so defo don't want to give them up

Quietly hoping for a good loss on Tuesday! Good luck and let me know how you get on x

I'm quite similar.... Stuck to the plan to a 't' and have done 5 hardcore spinning classes however it didn't show in the scales!

I don't think I've been drinking enough water so I've made a concious effort to drink 2 litres a day. I love spinning & step, makes me feel on top of the world so defo don't want to give them up

Quietly hoping for a good loss on Tuesday! Good luck and let me know how you get on x

Thanks becky will do :) crossing my fingers

Last edited:
Just copied these off a web site for you. I just started exercising...why am I gaining weight?

I hope they help a little x

If you've noticed your weight going up after starting an exercise program, don't panic! It doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong, nor does it mean you're going in the wrong direction. There can be some obvious and not-so-obvious reasons you're gaining weight.

Your first step is to determine if what you're gaining is actually fat or muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, but it takes up less space...if you gain muscle, your scale weight may go up even as you're slimming down. Rather than just using a scale to measure your progress, you can get your body fat tested on a regular basis to get a better idea of what you're gaining and/or losing. If that isn't an option, you can take measurements at different areas of the body...if you're losing inches, you're on the right track. For more, check out 4 Ways to Track Your Weight Loss Progress.
You're gaining muscle faster than you're losing fat. If it seems that you're getting bigger after you've started a weight training routine, it may be because you aren't losing body fat as fast as you're building muscle, which is a problem some people experience when they start exercising. Genetics could also be playing a role here...some people put on muscle more easily than others. If that's the case for you, don't stop training! Instead, you might simply adjust your program to make sure you're getting enough cardio exercise to promote weight loss and focus your strength training workouts on muscular endurance by keeping the reps between 12-16.

muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.. 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat..
it is however denser so you may lose inches and gain muscle tone with the net difference being a STS, but you'd look better and be slimmer..

weight is just a number..
if you weighed the same as you do now, but were slim and toned and buff, you wouldn't care one bit what the scales said would you?

But also worth pointing out that women generally don't have the hormonal make up to build muscle to the extent that it could negatively impact on weight loss.

And that one week of weight training will not build muscle to the extent that it could affect losses - it takes around two to three months

And finally that muscle burns more calories than fat, not only when you are exercising but over the whole day even when you are inactive - so don't give up weight training - muscle is good!

Ooh circes, you took the words right out of my mouth! It takes women a very long time and a whole lot of effort to build new muscle - it's certainly not something you'd see after a few weeks of exercising.

Something that's not been mentioned is whether you're actually eating enough, especially if you're doing more exercise, you body needs enough energy to actually let it burn fat.

I put on 1.5lbs last week and I know I was 100%, ate enough superfree, had my healthy extras, wasn't skipping meals etc, but when I looked back over my food diary I'd had a whole lot of eggs, which had massively affected my toilet habits - It seems i'm back on track now and the scales are looking much more like i'd expect to see them into week 3!

Stick with it though, it will pay off, the weight gain won't be fat if you've stuck to the plan!

weight is just a number..
if you weighed the same as you do now, but were slim and toned and buff, you wouldn't care one bit what the scales said would you?

I agree - if I get to fit back in my nicest clothes, feel fit and healthy, and look slim and toned, I won't even bother getting on the scales!!

Back