O/T: Having issues with university

NN89

Sexy Member
My mentor on my last nursing placement has really really upsetn me this time, seriously. I'm so angry, i went into my tutor earlier in tears. She'd told him that i'd been late for 2 shifts (when i hadn't) and hasn't signed off any learning outcomes, EVEN THOUGH I had evidence for them she's doesn't think in pratice there have been incidents where i've fulfilled them...yes, there were incidents but we discussed them and i think she's really taken it over the top
mad.gif

She's even brought up an incident (which i assumed was resolved) saying i got 'upset and distressed' over a death (when infact it was my first ever death, i was not upset just had a few questions) - and thinks i'm a danger to patients due to getting easily upset and having depression

I also got told off for asking questions (think i asked one about aspirin and long term use) because i 'didn't need to know' and got a huge lecture about 'needing to stick with basic nursing care' - fair enough but i was just asking a question

I feel the facts these have been taken onto my tutor, plus some lies in there too have really pissed me off and upset me. My mentor knew i had depression and she was constantly asking me if i was 'ok' and telling me doing things would 'trigger my depression' when in reality i was absoloutely fine just on medication

I just want to crawl in a ball with a tub of ben and jerrys! Im so down, feel worthless and am seriously rethinking my career...I have a weigh in in 30mins, and if i've maintained again i really will hit the ben and jerrys :cry:

RANT OVER!!!
grrrrr

I am so sorry to hear about your placement. Have they offered to help put things right, either another placement or further mentoring. Please don't give up.

And don't eat the ice cream. Stay strong

Irene xx

I'm sorry. :( She sounds awful! Please don't eat the ice-cream though, you'll feel worse for it.x

I had a few troubles when i trained to become a secondary teacher. My mentor was male and he was useless to tell the truth! But I hope you gain the support needed from uni- you did the right thing. Come share your troubles here and try steer clear from the ice cream. Why not go and find some free food to comfort eat on.. eat as much as you like- that way you will have comfort eaten but just dont need to worry about the syns.

Take care hun.
xx

Oh NN! I'm sure you have the right to challenge a placement, and remember that it's only one. She's probably a bovine about everyone, but that doesn't help you. I would ask for a one to one with your tutor when you've calmed down abit, and get some clarification.Some people can't cope with students (I'm one of them) but it should never be taken out on the student. If you hadn't been upset about your first death then I would have been worried. Nursing needs all the caring people it can get, I'm sure you'll be fine. And DON'T succumb to the icecream, you'll feel even worse and she will have won. Just show her!

thanks ice cream, had some frozen muller yogurt

day made a bit better as i found out i've lost 4lbs!

I am sorry to hear that you are not having much fun at UNI. May I suggest that have a look at the UNI counselling service I am sure yours will have one. They are good in support issues and can steer you in the right direction if you were to make any complaint if you feel it appropriate. I would make sure I was recording in writing every meeting you have with this person ( time, date and content)

She sounds like a person who has poor skills as a tutor and may have bullying technics..... keep a record !!!

Phil x

I am sorry to hear that you are not having much fun at UNI. May I suggest that have a look at the UNI counselling service I am sure yours will have one. They are good in support issues and can steer you in the right direction if you were to make any complaint if you feel it appropriate. I would make sure I was recording in writing every meeting you have with this person ( time, date and content)

She sounds like a person who has poor skills as a tutor and may have bullying technics..... keep a record !!!

Phil x

Thanks, luckily i'm not with her anymore and on another placement- i've spoken to my tutor and he's going to review. I just don't want people to think I need help..when i don't!! I made mistakes and didn't do it again, its part of being a student and an adult!

I will consider the counselling, its been on my mind for a while, and although i'm stable now and loads better; i'm feeling like the worlds worst nurse right now.

Back