O/T i want a dog

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
I am desperate for a puppy. My hubby is a house husband so there will be someone home most of the day. We have quite a small house so a small to medium dog would be great. We live by Sussex Downs so there are lovely areas for us to walk her and we have the beach (eastbourne). but can i find a dog, no. to be honest at the moment it would be a struggle to find £350 for a dog. and i really really wanted a mutt. it is so frustrating.

dogs are alot of hard work cute but in a small house they are a pest to keep things clean with i found.

I wanted a dog for years and it took me a long time to persuade OH to have one but now we have, we couldn't be without her!

Have you been to rescue centres? They are cheaper there and you tend to at least get one which is house trained so the hard week/sleepless nights are not a problem!
Apparantly, the kennels are overrun with unwanted dogs at the moment due to people giving them up because of the credit crunch (grr!! - I'd rather go without food than part with mine!)

I have a little terrier I got through a friend, I wasn't eligible for a rescue dog as we work and she is on her own sometimes (never all day though), you have to prove they won't be unattended for more than 4 hours.

Also, have you tried the local paper or pet shop? We have lots of ads in ours with dogs people are trying to rehome.

Good luck, I couldn't be without my puppy -she makes me exercise for one thing!!

the dog shelters are over run with unwanted puppies, 3 of my dads friends got some a couple of weeks ago

The best dogs for the family we have found are the lab or retriever breeds or crosses. They are soft mouthed and bright. They are also very loyal and trust worthy around the elderly and very young. But they can be a bit piggy when it comes to food. We have had a Lab /retriever cross an he was lovely and gave us thirteen years of companionship and fun.

Phil x

I was going to suggest the same as the other ladies, maybe a rescue place or somewhere as they're always desperate. I'll admit though I'd find it hard to go in a place like that and come out with only one...!

Hope you find one!

The best dogs for the family we have found are the lab or retriever breeds or crosses. They are soft mouthed and bright. They are also very loyal and trust worthy around the elderly and very young. But they can be a bit piggy when it comes to food. We have had a Lab /retriever cross an he was lovely and gave us thirteen years of companionship and fun.

Phil x

We really wanted a labrador Phil as we live in the country and do lots of walks, but... they are so big!!! I like to be able to pick my terrirer up and sit with her on my knee, and she takes up a lot less room in the car! Also, we do a lot of cottage holidays and a lot of them only take small dogs.

There's so much to bear in mind when getting a puppy!! :)

I have also had a Border Terrier, they are a lovely dog , small in stature but big in attitute )( LOL) they are again a softer bread within the terrier group. They love getting out and running about. They are quite intelligent as well, as the breed are used as a working dog. The Terrier breed are known to be a bit snappy and loud when excited, but I found the Border terrier to be alot far more calm.

Phil x

My dog is a border terrier cross, very inquisitive and a stubborn little bugger but such incredible personality and so much fun!!

I've wanted a dog for so long! Impossible at the moment though, because I rent and I'm out of the house all day. As soon as I've got my own house and an appropriate job I'm sure I'll have one. My grandparents always had dogs - labradors, or spaniels. Spaniels are gorgeous, and not too big - but they're a tiny bit mental, lots of energy and hard work! Labradors are just wonderful too :D
Definetely go to a shelter.

One of my friends got a wonderful greyhound cross called Bonzo from a shelter. She was his 5th home! Noone wanted him :( He was a bit needy and hard work to begin with but now he's just perfect, so happy and friendly and loving. I can barely imagine her without him!
Another friend's family got their spaniel Tim from a shelter as a puppy and he's just wonderful too. Very excitable, as most spaniels are :p

cant get one from most rescue homes as we have a 3 year old and he needs to be over 5. i have got my name down for Battersea but i need a letter from my council to say that i can have a dog in my house.
i am used to having a dog. had a border collie until he died.

That's a shame Tara, I would def look at ads in the paper or pet shop then as people trying to rehome a dog maybe wouldn't have so many rules.
I think if rules weren't so tight then they would rehome more dogs. I know they have them for a reason but in our case, although we both work, the dog is left with someone most days and not alone for more than a couple of hours at a time. Wasn't good enough though!!

i have a collie cross free from a farm he is the best dog ever I cant remember life before him! There is nothing better than the greating you get when you come home i have hugs and kisses lol

I have a nearly 2 year old springer spaniel, very excitable & would walk 24/7, good excercise for me lol!, but if we were ever to get another dog anytime i would defo go for a retired greyhound. there are loads of rehoming centers around & theres always loads of dogs looking for good homes, we had one for 10 years, they are such easy going dogs were great with the kids & will happily laze around all day! xx

my sister in law is waiting to breed her jack russell. and part of the deal is getting either a puppy or the money equivalent, so she said that we can have the puppy but the female isnt even in season yet ! so after they have bred, if she does get pregnant then it will be about 16 weeks after that.

i will phone the council later today to get that authorisation letter.

Back