O/T Joan Does Glamour - Do You?

Scarlet Daisy

Hungry For Life
Did anybody else watch this? Do you agree that women in the UK have become too sloppy and need to get back some pride in their appearance?

I think women in the North make a bit more effort than those down South but, like Joan, I think there is room for more glamour in this country!

Recently I've lost weight (heh, you knew that), I've discovered Lauren Luke's make-up videos on YouTube (panacea81) and my toyboyfriend has started work in an office full of women... So a new and more groomed me is ON THE WAY!

Are you planning to glam up?

(and could there BE any more questions in this post?).

Didn't see the program but wished I had. I do think people have adopted a more "relaxed" appearance due to life style. I used to take a great pride in apperance before children (20 years ago), but found that dealing with playdough, paints, crawling around the floor playing with toys was more suitable to jogging bottoms or jeans than high heals and dresses etc. And as for makeup and hair, once the kids had pulled it and rearanged it, smeared sick over the face and pulled the buttons of my tops I gave up. Now I just think I've forgotten how to do it anyway lol.

I didn't see it (not the sort of thing OH will watch!!) however...

When I'm at home for the day I put my fleece and combat pants on but I do put a little makeup on and sort my hair out. When I go to the office I make an effort to look smart and more so when I have a meeting. Need to make the right impression - even on "dress down friday" I won't wear jeans to the office as I don't feel right for working.

On a weekend if I'm pottering around the house or garden then it will be jeans and a top or combats and fleece but if we go out I'll put my smart stuff on.

I would never ever go a day without my face on, even if I don't leave the house!!! I feel undressed.

Now I just think I've forgotten how to do it anyway lol.

That's how I've been. And because I've never really been pretty, I suppose I didn't have the motivation at times when I could have tried before.

But now I'm all fired up to do better because my kids are grown, I'm more in shape and I love my boyfriend. I won't be as flash as Joan (she looks amazing for a 76 year old though), I'm just going to make an effort to look less like a bloke. :D

I didn't see it (not the sort of thing OH will watch!!)

Haha, SNAP, I had to watch it in the bedroom! :D

You sound better at looking nice than me... I need to find a good make-up look for "every day" wear. At the moment I just don't wear make-up unless I am going out. My OH likes me as I am but a subtle improvement couldn't be a bad thing.

And the girls in my OH's new office have to wear suits and look smart (like you do), so I don't want him to come home and see me looking all dowdy and rubbish after a day of that.

I think my real prompt was losing weight though, I "deserve" to spend time on myself now.

And because I've never really been pretty, I suppose I didn't have the motivation at times when I could have tried before.

Scarlet Daisy - banish that bad bad thaught right now. No negative thinking... and how can this statement be true if you have a toyboyfriend?!!

I glam up for work and extra glam up for meetings and presentations and going out with hubby.

Jojo xx

I HATE makeup, and rarely wear it. I do like to have half decent clothes on. Not necessarily expensive and glam, but flattering fits, However, I ahve grown out of them all, and can't afford more. I will shrink back in to them though. My bf hates women who are vain, and hates makeup anyway. I have honestly never really worn it. When I do glam up to go out I wear eye and lip make up, but that's it

Lynda

Gosh Lynda, I NEED make up to even out my skin tone and bring out my eyes as my eyelashes are so pale! I wear powder, blusher and mascara as a minimum.
Does your bf think women who wear makeup are vain? I wouldn't consider myself vain but I think I look awful without my face on so don't go a day without it, I don't feel good!
Each to their own, I'm sure my skin would be better for not wearing it but I've worn it for a lot of years now and couldn't imagine getting up and not putting my face on!

My bf hates women who are vain, and hates makeup anyway.

I'm not talking about being tarty and looking cheap, I'm talking about making the best of yourself and being well groomed.

Men who say they hate make-up are normally afraid of you coming on a date painted up like Katie Price. Subtle make-up looks classy and I don't think men really dislike that.

I'm not talking about being tarty and looking cheap, I'm talking about making the best of yourself and being well groomed.

Men who say they hate make-up are normally afraid of you coming on a date painted up like Katie Price. Subtle make-up looks classy and I don't think men really dislike that.

Agree whole heartedly SD!!!

As gok says..... Its all about the confidence!!

I didnt see the programme but i do agree that as women we dont always try to look our best. I think this is related to a number of things 1 the confidence and 2 our lives!

How many of you have started taking pride in your appearance now you have lost weight? i bet there are lots of you i know i have!! I do think sometimes we can be busy with kids and the house but i do think we should make the effort.

Im with Jaylou on the make up front i wear make up every day and would not be seen out with out it!! I would wear foundation and mascara indoors if i wasnt going out. But if i leave the house then i put it all on! I dont mean Katie price style but i do have to have it on! It makes me feel feminine!:D

my OH hates make up even when done subtly, he also doesn't like artificial scents and perfumes. I can never be bothered applying makeup and am happy so long as my hair looks okay and I'm wearing something that suits me.

People worry too much about the small things in life. My goal is to be healthier and look nicer in my own skin but that's about it lol.

xxx

I'm quite shocked that men would hate make up!! How can they hate something which brings out the best of your features? For example my eyes look small but with mascara it highlights them and brings them out, they look good with a bit of eyeliner too.
I wonder if there is a bit of male insecurity going on with the whole hating make up thing??

Just my opinion though girls, don't shoot me ;-0

I have to agree with you Jaylou so we can stand together and be shot!!

I love nothing more than getting dressed up with full make up on and a lovely perfume wafting round the room!!!

I didn't watch the Joan Collins programme these sort of shows are not the sort of TV that I watch I'm afraid, I've heard of Gok of course, but I haven't watched his show either.

I am always at home during the week as my DH works and I don't go out so I usually only see the postman on a daily basis - but, wearing a little makeup, perfume and styling my hair tidily are all part and parcel to me in my morning routine as getting dressed is.

I think it all comes down to the fact that I have always been so overweight, I've always thought (in my head) that if my face and head look nice, then no one will look below to my fat, LOL........silly I know but that is me, so I always present a smart face to the world even if I don't see anyone.....

I don't wear trousers (my b*m is far too big) but I wear a skirt and a top or sweater and try to look as smart as I can while at the same time being comfortable.

You dark horse Donnie, seeing the postman daily lol.
I remember the morning after my wedding, my now hubby had never seen me without makeup, and when we woke up he actually thought I was ill and wanted to call a doctor cos he thought I looked so washed out lol. Now if I do put a bit of slap on he thinks I have a hot date.....in my dreams.

You dark horse Donnie, seeing the postman daily lol.
I remember the morning after my wedding, my now hubby had never seen me without makeup, and when we woke up he actually thought I was ill and wanted to call a doctor cos he thought I looked so washed out lol. Now if I do put a bit of slap on he thinks I have a hot date.....in my dreams.

LOL! Bless! Why not take your hubby on the hot date!!:D

I didnt see the programme last night but i do agree that a lot of women, especially my friends and women of my age dont make an effort anymore.

I would consider myself to be well groomed, i have my hair done on a regular basis and get my eyebrows and lashes tinted and wear subtle eye makeup for everyday, like work, and then more intense eye makeup if im going out. I dont actually wear any lipstick or gloss - hate the stuff and the feel of it on my lips. I cant stand foundation or face powders etc either, my skin is really good so there is no need for me to cover it with products.

Im from the 'Ladette' era so lots of girls my age do prefer a more natural look and do tend to wear jeans and a hoodie to the pub as opposed to a dress and heels, i think it was the 'culture' a lot of people my age grew up in.

My OH prefers me without make up and thinks i look the most attractive just after a workout when im all sweaty and bare faced :confused: He says its because i look 'real' - again :confused: lol :p

I can comfortably leave the house without slap and i often wear sports gear as i train a lot but when im in work or going out i definately make an effort to look half decent!

And because I've never really been pretty, I suppose I didn't have the motivation at times when I could have tried before. :asskick: Don't you dare run yourself down Daisy! I can tell even from this difference you're beautiful! AND you have a great personality!
That goes ditto for Donnie!
I would love to wear makeup every day! I used to in my younger days, but then went allergic to my eye makeup, or it could have been the remover, but I've tried all sorts and I still react. If I'm going out I do make an effort, but I find trying to find my eyelashes to put on my mascara a trial! Perhaps I should get some of those funny specs that fold down! Even the magnifying side of the mirror is no use! I put it on by braille, and then put my specs on to see what I've done :p
I have however transformed my clothes! I've got a whole new wardrobe from Monsoon! (all got on ebay VERY cheaply!) and I love to wear things more fitted (did I really say that? :eek:) because I'm begining to be proud of my shape. And of course there's always a sexy bra underneath :p (makes a note to get some nice knickers next time I go to Hornsea Freeport!)
Oh and I always have a pair of tasteful dangly earrings! I find they make me hold my head better if you know what I mean.

Back