O/T Maternity Pay

unreal83

Want to be a yummy mummy!
Hi all - its me - just a quick question I hope someone will know the answer!

If someone has been temping through an agency for a company and then they go permanent and are employed by that company direct, and then fall pregnant, will their employment start from the perm date or will it count as continuous employment from the temp date? Just want to know if i would qualify for mat pay or not x

Just wondered...

Babe,

from what i can remember it matters not if you are temp/perm as long as you have 'served' enough time at that employer.. i think 16 weeks? then you will be entitled to SMP... how long for i dont know as its been 10 years since i was pregnant (employed ) last pregnany was self employed.

x

In my company i was here as a temp (12 weeks) but my official start date was when they employed me full time.
Our company doesnt state how long have you have to be with the company before your entitled to Maternity Pay. Do you have a friendly HR person you can talk to?
x

I thought it was from the date you joined as a permy; when working as a temp you were working for a different employer.

That's how my last company played it when it came to things like redundancy, 10 years service awards etc. etc.

Can't comment on the maternity pay side of it though, Mrs LJ had worked for her employer for about 15 years before we had our first child

Thanks everyone, I think you are right, although you only have to be employed for 1 week before you get pregnant to qualify for SMP - you have to have been employed for 26 weeks into your 25th week pregnant and then you get it, so not a big deal really.

Thanks everyone!

Lauren

Also if you dont qualify for SMP you could always go to the jobcenter or where ever it is you have to go now. I never qualified for it through my employers so had to get SMA which is the benefit one. I got £98.50 a week i think. That amount might be a bit off though as it was nearly 3 years ago. Give em a phone and see what your entitled too :)

Back