O/T Unusual Names For Children?

Scarlet Daisy

Hungry For Life
One of the photographers in the most recent SW magazine has ( he tells us) sons called Loki and Nemo.

Blimey. I had a pet rat called Loki once but, yanno, he was a PET RAT, not my kid.

I've known friends and aquaintances who called their kids odd names too... A boy called Ocean, a boy called Remus, a girl called Trilby and a girl called Tippi, to name but a few. Oh and my brother went to school with a girl called Petronella!

So it isn't just the rich and famous who call their kids crazy things.

What evil, or interesting kids' names have you come across in real life?

Well my evil parents gave me the middle name of...... (no sniggering - everyone does) Dorcas. I kind of like it now as I have lived with it for so long but I hated it as a child and am very glad that it was not my first name.

Just found out that my friends brother is going to be calling his baby girl Romany! I just think its rubbish! xxx

i worked in a nursery for 14 years so come across some. A girl i worked with had the middle name bobbin. You had the celebrity copycats with brooklyns, anais, bluebell, cruz etc but also some really old names, it was very hard calling a baby elsie, irene, and frank. You also get chavvy names, at one point we had 3 mckenzie girls and 4 mckenzie boys, a boy called rooney and ive even come across a boy call nike (nikee)

A girl in my class is called Cayenne. Wasn't that keen at first but has grown on me after a year with her.

Well my evil parents gave me the middle name of...... (no sniggering - everyone does) Dorcas. I kind of like it now as I have lived with it for so long but I hated it as a child and am very glad that it was not my first name.

I always think of Dorcas as being a brand of dressmakers' pins...My Mum did dressmaking at college (her teacher was Zandra Rhodes' mother!) and she always said Dorcas pins were the best. It makes sense now though...Because looking at Wikipedia, I see that Dorcas is a woman in the Bible, a dressmaker, who charitably made clothes for the poor.

My friend has called her son Levi they think its the best name ever I can just think of sooooo many names he is likley to be called

I have a few!

My friend called his daughter Persephone (luckily it's shortened to Sephy which suits her)

And my Mum's come across some classics in her time in her job, including:

Nokia (yes you heard me) and...it gets worse...Clamidia (spelt that way - not sure the parents knew what they were doing to their kid).

It's ridiculous what some people do call their kids. It's cruel!

Nokia (yes you heard me) and...it gets worse...Clamidia (spelt that way - not sure the parents knew what they were doing to their kid).QUOTE]
Oh my word that can not be serious hahaha! I used to work in a nursery and we always used to joke about kids being called clamidia but never actually came across one. Thats unreal lol!! The worst i had at the time were two 11 month old twins called Peaches and Cream!!x

on holiday once we heard a little boy being called by his mum-she was yelling 'peregrine' accross the beach!!

my daughter has a friend who's middle name is 'storm' (suits her too she's not my fav person in the world)

Oh this thread is great!!!
I was cursed with an "unusual" first name (not gonna tell ya!!) and it's been a pain all my life!
I gave my daughter a completely normal name!!

Must say though, although there are some awful names on here, I really like Persephone and Romany but FFS, peaches and cream, sounds like names for kittens!

The other thing that gets me is "normal" names spelt in an unusual way. You spend all your life correcting people.....

stupid spellings is my pet hate - lucii, vicktorea, esabela, ameelea the amount of tippex ive used it does my head in

Back