O/T Unusual Names For Children?

'Nike' (pronounced Nike-eh) is a very popular Nigerian name, it means something that is cherished.

thats a lovely meaning, this particular boy was english mum was only 16 and seemed quite poud he was named after a shoe lol

Hi, the brother of a friend called his daughter Polly Esther. I shouted at them when I found out, although he insisted that it was coincidental!!

Oh good Lord. My mum and dad fought over my name, apparently i was going to be called Heidi, but my dad vetoed it cos (and I quote) "Heidi Folksman sounds like a german sheepdog"

Dorcas I remember being the name of the maid in the Enid Blyton books about the kids on the farm - the 5 cousins books? But she always gave her kids in her books weird names - anyone remember Dick and Fanny from the Faraway Tree books?

In my sons toddler group we have a Demelza, Lace and a Bounty (little boy). The funniest thing was when they found out my little boy was called Christian they looked at me like i was mad and asked if i was religious, Im not we just liked the name and considering my husband really wanted Randolph i think its quite a normal name.

I went to school with Tryphena and Tyranny. In my sons year they have Savannah and Ember (I spent a whole year calling her Amber til her mum eventually put me right) Oh and Vanda who had a baby and called her.. you guessed it Vanda (although she is now known as 'baby vanda'.

scary woo! my husband wanted to call our daughter 'tineetia' (spelt like that too) and I said no way, and that if he was to insist then she'd be called Tineetia - My Dad Named Me - Surname .... I hasten to add she's actually called Gemma which really suits her and goes well withour surname.

When I lived in Cardiff, I worked with a woman who called her daughter Ayeeesha (yes, 3 es). It's a nice-sounding name, but I am familiar with it spelled Ayisha and being of Asian origin, not for a little baby from South Wales!

I like things that are a bit unusual, but not so wildly weird that it makes people go.... 'eh?!' I like 'normal' names too, but I don't like the thought of my child being one of 6 Amys or Jacks in a class IYSWIM.

i know what u mean my little boy is called jack, he was named after my grandad and from being about 10 i always said that if i had a boy i would name him jack. However i think he will always be know as Jack L.

Currently at work we have 9 Evie's and 5 Isabella's

my daughter has quite an unusual name - shola. we chose it very carefully, and she loves the fact that when she's older she can go and visit the place she was named after :D

Shola Grasslands on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Shola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh thats really nice. we chose both names carefully , as i'm sure most people do, my OH is called ian ANd both girls have it in their name RhIANnon and Olivia's middle name is SIAN, which is also the welsh form of Jane which is my name, we were pretty pleased with that one

My daughter is Tabitha - after my OH's great grandma (saw her name in a family bible and loved it, he'd never met her). I know of 3 others online of about the same age, but not come across any irl yet. Wanted something unusual but traditional, but not too far out there !

See now I love those! Shola, Tabitha, Florence,Buddy, Milo...

I think if it's a family name it's a bit different. My middle name is Rose and that goes wayback through my Italian family so if I ever have a daughter it's an automatic choice :) But I was a bit disappointed to find out how popular it has become recently.

(I hated it as a child, I thought it was so old fashioned and embarrassing, but I love it now. )

See now I love those! Shola, Tabitha, Florence,Buddy, Milo...

I think if it's a family name it's a bit different. My middle name is Rose and that goes wayback through my Italian family so if I ever have a daughter it's an automatic choice :) But I was a bit disappointed to find out how popular it has become recently.

(I hated it as a child, I thought it was so old fashioned and embarrassing, but I love it now. )

My first name is not common and i chose to be a little unusual with my daughters names Chenai and Keyarna. I love their names and it really suits them lol

My first name is not common and i chose to be a little unusual with my daughters names Chenai and Keyarna. I love their names and it really suits them lol

Chenai was one of the names we were thinking about with shola :D I love it!

My little boy was going to be Blossom, which everyone i know laughed at :cry: but he's obviously a boy, so we called him Bailey which is a pretty normal name i think?

I know someone that called their little boy Deacon also a Jaxon and my dad knows of someone who called their boy Primrose (no i'm not joking).

Back