O/T WHAT ARE YOU READING!!

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
I was sitting reading my library book which is very good - and I thought :thinking2: why don't we have a weekly book thread, so that we can share our books that we are reading at the moment.

What do you think? Let me know?

Here is my book that I am reading at the moment, I love all Historical fiction - anything up to and including WW2....

THE BLACKSTONE KEY by Rose Melikan.

It is 1795, and young Mary Finch travels to the Suffolk coast to meet her wealthy uncle and so end a 20-year estrangement. On her way, Mary discovers a dying man on the road. The stranger is carrying an oddly familiar watch bearing her uncle’s initials. He also seems to know who Mary is, and hints that she is in terrible danger.

With England embroiled in a bloody war with Republican France, and spies and smugglers active all along the coast, Mary must learn how to distinguish friend from foe. Can she trust the two men who want to help her? What is their interest in the mysterious Blackstone Key? Does it guard a secret treasure, or might it have a more sinister purpose . . ?

It's really good....

OOOOOhhhh, Donnie - I love reading! I have a stack of books I want to read - and no time!!

I'm plodding through Dear Fatty by Dawn French, I've got The Island and The Return to take on holiday (as recommended by my friend) and the new Jodi Picoult book (she's my fave) Harvesting the Heart.

I also "read" cookery books a lot, I currently have "how to be a domestic goddess" on my coffee table, not very SW friendly but I love the way Nigella writes.

I recently read 'december' can't remember who by (good start i know) i have it though to check if any of you wish to know.

Its about a young girl who lives with her parents and they often live between thier city flat and country home. she decides that she does not wish to speak, and as days turn into weeks, and months, she realises she has a problem when she finds she cannot bring herself to speak., and after months and months her parents begin to try therapists etc and the school threatens to withdraw her as she does not attend. This get desperate and although isnt any twists or amazing story line to it, its more a thinking book where you enter into the mind of this little girl, and the torment she goes through to see her parents suffer due to ehr silence, and trying to understand it herself.

I also just finished 'mother of pearl' Again dont remember the author.. but this ones about a middle aged woman who works as a teacher, she lives with her aunt and uncle and her mother is in prison for killing her father and has never found love or moved out on her own. The story follows her leading this seperate life and the motions she goes through as she learns her mother is to be released and learns the details, aswell as other information and expierances. It flits between present time and the romantic love between her mother and father in past time, through the war etc. Its a fantastic story and i loved reading every minute of it.

Highly recommended for those who have time and enjoy reading

im thinking of starting wife interrupted - saw it advertised in a mag, about a girl who becomes a widow & chooses a strange way of healing after loosing her loved on., by being a complete slapper LOL.. she sleeps around and suppose the story is based upon her expierances and the emotions she goes through.. dont know too much more but think it'd be great. Il let u know how i get on .. oo and its by Amy Molloy, if any of u else fancy reading it.

I read 'Dear Fatty' the other week Jaylou, it was so funny.

I love Dawn French but I think she could do with SW, last time I saw her I thought she had put lot's more weight on, she is pretty and she is putting her life at risk....I read that she had been dropped from the Terry's Orange ad's because she wasn't setting a good example with her weight.

She reminds me of 'me' as I am not very tall, and I am as round as I am tall (at the moment anyway).....X

I was sitting reading my library book which is very good - and I thought :thinking2: why don't we have a weekly book thread, so that we can share our books that we are reading at the moment.

What do you think? Let me know?

Here is my book that I am reading at the moment, I love all Historical fiction - anything up to and including WW2....

THE BLACKSTONE KEY by Rose Melikan.

It is 1795, and young Mary Finch travels to the Suffolk coast to meet her wealthy uncle and so end a 20-year estrangement. On her way, Mary discovers a dying man on the road. The stranger is carrying an oddly familiar watch bearing her uncle’s initials. He also seems to know who Mary is, and hints that she is in terrible danger.

With England embroiled in a bloody war with Republican France, and spies and smugglers active all along the coast, Mary must learn how to distinguish friend from foe. Can she trust the two men who want to help her? What is their interest in the mysterious Blackstone Key? Does it guard a secret treasure, or might it have a more sinister purpose . . ?

It's really good....

This is too freaky - I was thinking this morning about us having a SW bookclub thing!!! And you agree - so yay!

I'm reading two books atm. A David Starkey book on Henry VIII's 6 wives and also a trashy novel.

The trashy novel is actually part of a series called Night World (LJ Smith). Got them at the airport WH Smith and thought they were adult books (adult mentally not rude lol) but I realised as soon as I started they're in the same area as HP books and the Twilight books - kinda young adult-adult.

They're not bad - bit silly and immature but hey, I got them so reading them. About Witches and Vampires etc.

xxx

Now you are talking my language Donnie!!! I've worked on and off in the library as past few years ~ whenever someone brings back a book and says how good it is, I have to take it home even though I already have about 20 to read. My OH is saying that it is getting beyond a joke!

So I love crime/thrillers, cookery, chick lit and lifestyle books. At the moment I'm reading Swimsuit by James Patterson (a thriller for when I want a good read) and Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (chick lit when I want to escapism!) xx

Weemo - SK is one of my fave 'girlybook' authors too! Very funny! x

i have just finished reading the twilight saga very adictive indeed am giving my head a rest at the moment but will need to find something good soon

i have just finished reading the twilight saga very adictive indeed am giving my head a rest at the moment but will need to find something good soon

If you liked the Twilight series - there are loads of simialrish stuff out there. The books I am reading are similar (Night Wold by LJ Smith). Same as in; same topics, a bit teenagerish but slightly addictive. Also, there are a series of books I read years ago by C Pike that the Twilight books reminded my of :) x

I'm reading Dead Souls by Ian Rankin

"Stalking a poisoner at the local zoo, Inspector John Rebus comes across a paedophile taking pictures of children. When the social workers claim he is there for legitimate educational reasons, Rebus is faced with a dilemma - should he be outed to protect local kids or given a chance to start anew? As the locals begin a hate campaign Rebus gets a call from the past: the son of a friend has gone missing and no one else will make time to ask the right questions. And then a fragment of Scotland's criminal history is repatriated at the end of a life sentence for murder. Once more Rebus's cup of trouble runneth over and the ghosts of past misdeeds return to haunt Edinburgh's streets."

I love mystery/thriller/crime books :)

ooo i just got sks new book but not got around to readng it.
when i was on holiday in tunisia in april/may i read 8 books whilst i was there, mum threatened to throw them in the pool cos i always had head in book. funniest part of it was when i got back i was megga brown all over, but i had a white face....lol
xx

i also love jill mansell, her books are very good. martina cole (she writes her books based on where i live) and mansuelle heller. all very good.
xxx

martina cole (she writes her books based on where i live)
xxx

What do you think of her latest books? I've left the last two unfinished as i thought they were really really rubbish! I looked on Amazons reviews just to see if it was just me but everyone says the same. her earlier books are soo good, its such a shame about her latest work :-(

What do you think of her latest books? I've left the last two unfinished as i thought they were really really rubbish! I looked on Amazons reviews just to see if it was just me but everyone says the same. her earlier books are soo good, its such a shame about her latest work :-(
If i am honest i didnt eve read her last 2 books, cos mum and neighbour both said the same as you they are rubbish.
i will read them when i get 5 mins, but i am a crafter so i am into card making etc, so i spend a lot of time out in my shed playing.
have you tried mansuelle heller her books are the same as martina coles, but based in birmingham i think, mum has read all of hers and says they are fab, i have read one and that was good.
xx

I've stopped reading her as well as it all got a bit too repetitive! I have £40 of vouchers to spend on books for my holiday so this is a useful thread for me :) I am thinkinh the SK book is a goer. I normally read chick lit, stuff like patricia cornwell and i like stephen king as well. I'm not a big thriller fan though. Anyone got suggestions for more holiday reads?

I've stopped reading her as well as it all got a bit too repetitive! I have £40 of vouchers to spend on books for my holiday so this is a useful thread for me :) I am thinkinh the SK book is a goer. I normally read chick lit, stuff like patricia cornwell and i like stephen king as well. I'm not a big thriller fan though. Anyone got suggestions for more holiday reads?
if you going to go for SK books she has the whole series of shopahoic books.
if you like chic books then jill mansell is another one. or marian keyes, i love her books too. rachels holiday is one of hers i read on holiday.
well 1 of the 8 lol.
xxx

Girl Friday ~ Jane Green, The truth about Melody Browne ~ Lisa Jewell, Beautiful People ~ Wendy Holden, Love Lies ~ Adele Parks, The Chocolate Lovers Club and The Chocolate Lovers Diet (follows on from previous) ~ I highly recommend these last 2! I also like Jill Mansell, Catherine Alliot, Patricia Scanlan, Sheila O'Flanagan and Louise Bagshawe.

Harlan Coben, James Patterson and Karin Slaughter would be like Patricia Cornwell ~ I personally love Mary Higgins Clark, Jonathan Kellerman and Lisa Gardner.

i have just started the 4th book in twilight but the best book i have ever read is ellie by leslie pearse i have read it about 5 times and is the one book i would def recommend

Oooh this is a great idea! I'm such a bookworm!
Just finished reading South Of Hell by P.J Parrish which is about a detective in Florida called Louis Kincaid and is part of a series. Its fab and i highly recommend it.
I'm currently reading Yes Man by Danny Wallace. He sets himself a challenge of saying only yes to everything. Its a true story and was recently made into a film with Jim Carey. Its hilarious so far.
I would reccomend all Jodi Picoult books. I've read them all, including the ones not out here (i love her so much i stocked up when i was in New York!!) x

I'm currently reading Dear Fatty by Dawn French too, saw it on my mom's bookshelf last week when I was there and asked if I could borrow it. She's not read it herself yet but she's not a big reader and is going to read Julie Walters Biography first.
my OH got me a Sony Digital book reader for Christmas and it's got about 200 books on it at the moment, I was reading 1984 but it got a bit boring so I kept flicking through.
Last book I finished was Marley and Me. It was Sooooo good and I cried buckets at the end! Would really recommend it.

Last edited:
Back