OBG (Operation Bridal Gown!)

I have an appointment today at a wedding dress shop.

I'm really not looking forward to it. I'm majorly overweight, I hate shopping, I hate dresses and my intention is to buy off the rack at debenhams or somewhere similar.

It's my mum that has pushed this, I this she just wants to see her daughter try on dresses. I phoned the shop to warn them I was plus size (damage control).

Hopefully it won't be as horrendous as I imagine it will be .......

I'm sure you'll be fine, they have lots of different sizes. Try to enjoy it... and I think maybe you will get better and more flattering fit from a 'proper' dress rather than an 'off the shelf' from Debenhams etc. See what you think..

Also, after careful consideration... I'm not going to do fast forward after all. It's too restrictive, and I certainly can't cope with eating so little and working. I was a bit of a basket case by the end of the day and could barely deal with a patient as I was so hungry I couldn't concentrate. Not good. It certainly did it's job at making me appreciate the normal plan :)

Hey mlarnz

Welcome and well done so far!!

Don't be pressured into trying on dresses, it's YOUR wedding.
But..if you really want to keep your mum sweet i guess you just have to grin and bare it. Definitely better to wait til next year before you commit to buy. :O)

x

OOooo, just been to Sainsburys and noticed there is a Wedding Fayre next door at the football ground on 21st Nov!!!! So going to that!!!!!

Question is....do I take H2B or mate??

Hi girls

OMG - i went shopping for a dress and found a magic one that turned me into a size 8!! it was so flattering and beautiful i have decided this is the dress i want!!

the only dilema is i have to order it now for it to be here in time fr my wedding. i dont know what size to order it in. i can easily drop 2 dress sizes befoe the big day.

the only other thing is, i dont know wether to buy 2nd hand. if its exactly the dress i want, but only worn once, i could save a couple of hundred quid!!

i have found my dress for £750 - and they sell 2nd hand for about £400-£500.

what do u think girls???

Maggie-Sottero-A-line-Martina-Diamond-White-2007-41848.jpg

Maggie-Sottero-A-line-Martina-Diamond-White-2007-41849.jpg

That, is a stunning dress!!!!!

Personally I wouldn't buy 2nd hand, only because wedding dresses are made to fit your body perfectly- I wouldn't want to mess about with someone elses dress, as its been fitted to them. I wouldn't like to do too much alterations.

- really really like it tho!! Xx

Buy what ever size fits you now. They can alter dresses up to 5 sizes (apparently) if the style allows it

Last edited:
I bought my dress second hand. There are lots of sites selling worn once wedding dresses and there are also loads on ebay. It's such a huge amount of money for a dress you will only wear once. A good seamstress can alter it to fit you perfectly :O) My dress would have been £1000 new and I got it for £190.

i went to a wedding fayre today and GEEEEEZ there is a lot to organise! i didnt realise that i have left it extremely late to start aranging stuff!! i practically got told off by everyone i spoke to lol

thank goodness im having the wedding abroad, because i dont think i could cope with ALL the stuff that comes with 'normal' wedding.

my mum has made me promise that i will sit down and make a list of things we still need to buy, book, arrange and do...however, as i havent done anything except book the wedding, hotel and flights, there is soooo much left to do!

i thought it would be easy, but apparently i have to book hen nights, get rings sorted, shoes, necklaces for the bridegrooms. mums asking me what colour i want her to wear, what colour my MIL is wearing....i dont know!! i was just gonna turn up lol.

i know why people get wedding co-ordinators!!

loving the dress photos - i am not putting mine on here for fear of my Fiance seeing it by accident -but i LOVE all of the Ronald Joyce dresses- proper fairytale princess ones

Here is an example!!! (not my fave though!!!)

380_380_115631_1_10_21_XL.jpg

The dresses cost upwards of £1000 but you can get replicas made online via this website - they are a FRACTION of the price and guarantee to bo over 90% replica!!!

product.php

BrandOfDress - Bridal dress price comparison, bridal dress reviews, and online bridal store reviews :: Wedding Dresses :: Ronald Joyce :: Ronald Joyce Dress Style Corine 60045

Hi All,

Please can I join OBG?!?!? I'm getting wed 7th July 2012, 21lb down so far, main issue is having meltdowns about my upper arms lol xxxx

Woohoo!! Thank you. Team OBG going on my sig in a min xx

this thread and team is getting SO huge now - what a year 2011 is going to be (and of course all the weddings this year too!!!) xxx

I am here for a little emotional support. I feeling a bit down at the moment as I've been struggling a bit with the weight loss and haven't lost as much as I would have hoped to have lost by now and I'm running out of time.. Last night I was looking at pictures of me in the dress I have chosen as started cry as I just felt I look so terrible and fat and weirdly proportion with my stupid too big boobs
frown.gif
H2be asked me what was wrong and had to confess it was because I felt so bad about the dress. He even offered to look at the pics so he could reassure me ( I refused, not entirely because of tradition but also because if he thought I looked fat he would say so and then I would not be able to even wear the dress as I would feel so terrible)
Anyway- here is a link to pics of me in the dress. Ignore the veil. I am not having a veil. My mum wants me to have a veil and keeps making me try one on... The dress has been ordered in a size larger than the one in the pic, to fit me as I am now though I would like to loose another stone by then... at least
redface.gif
Here is LINK. Please tell me what you think
Be gentle... I am emotionally delicate right now
redface.gif

xx

ps, I have ordered ivory dress, the one in the pic is silvery.

Geez Laura - i was expecting to see something terrible!! It just goes to prove that what I see is a beautiful looking girl looking lovely and slim and what you see is the insecurities that you see in yourself.

Right here goes my honest opinion......

A bigger size will look better because it will not pull in the wrong places. So all the little niggles you have wont be as noticable if you have a larger size dress. once you have lost the other stone, then this will give your confidence a boost and psycologically (SP?) you will FEEL much better so you will think you look much better. But truthfully, it looks lovely!!

oh and work on your posture....practise putting your shoulders back, standing tall and chin up. having a good posture will automatically make you look slimmer and confident - this will hopefull make you feel more confident. xx

Thanks Melarnz- you are quite right about posture, it's something I have a real issue with so will have to try to remember to 'walk tall' on the day. Thank you for your kind comments xx I think my posture problems are somewhat due to my lack of confidence... ' I sometimes feel like I try to make myself disappear :eek:

*whit whooo*

Laura you look stunning! The only pic you look like you have "stupid too big boobs" is the top middle and that is purely the angle the photo has been taken with, easily fixed!

I agree with Melarnz-you see something completely different to the rest of us when you are looking at the pics. You know how you notice a crack on your wall or a cobweb? But someone else walks in to your house and wouldnt bat an eyelid at it? I think thats similar-you know where the dress felt tight/was pulling because you are ordering the next size up and think that shows in the photos and it honestly doesnt.

You will look fab

Back