Off Topic Totally; where can I get free legal advice?

chelle_powell

We ride, we ride....
HI all,

My ex-employer is seeking legal action against me because they have over-paid me. I had to cease employment due to ill health and before I left I had 4 weeks on the sick (dr's notes). They've paid me my full wage, and are now demanding the 3/4 of it back or else they're threatening legal action. I didn't think anything of receivng my full wage as when I started employment I was given a letter outling that at the company director discresion u may be given full pay when on the sick. The prob is I don't have it to give back and we're living on one low-income wage (we have more going out than coming in atm)
Does anyone know where I stand with this or where I can get any free advice??

Muchly appreciate, thanks anyone

Much love, chelle xx

I have always found the Citizens Advice Bureau to be excellent for advice. And they might be able to direct you on if they can't help

Irene xx

Hun - you need to get to the local Citizens' Advice Bureau to get some legal aid, methinks.

There are sites on the internet that you can google to ask particular questions on employment law, but you're probably better off talking to someone face to face. Most solicitors offer a free half hour's consultation before charging and if you're eligible for legal aid, it won't cost you a penny.

Mostly though, hun - don't panic!!!!!

They're trying to scare you and use bully boy tactics.

Who do you know who could afford to pay back 3/4 of their monthly wage?

No one!!! That's who!

Don't ignore it, get clued up on your rights and fight them. They cannot expect a lump sum back off you even if they are within their rights - any judge in the land would ensure you paid it back in small installments that you could afford.

So try not to worry, babes - it will be ok - it's just sh1-it at the moment.

((HUGS))

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Isobel,

Thanks for that :) Muchly appreciated.
They've definately scared me!!! I don't want some baliff knocking on my door taking my car off of me!! They want £500 back off me - I don't have it - Arrrggghhh!!!!
It'll proabbly cost them more for legal action than the amount they think I owe them.
Just the thing to ensure a stressful weekend eh? lol

Thanks again tho, really really appreciate it!!!

Much love, chelle xx

Hi Chelle,

Sorry to hear your boss is being such a ba****d!!!

I completely reiterate what isobel has said, CAB are brilliant. I know someone who's an advisor (but unfortunately in lancaster)

As far as I know they will do a 'means assessment' to assess your ability to pay and they have solicitors who can direct you on what course of action to take.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

Hey hun...wat sh*ts your ex employers are!!

I can only second wat everyone else has said....CAB seems the best way forward. One thing though, I know the company I work for have a 'debt recovery policy' for when they overpay you. For sick pay, I didnt realise we need to claim sick pay from the government, and once that has been paid to us they deduct the amount received from our salaries. Maybe your company had a similar thing in place where you should've claimed the sick pay from the state for them to then take it out of your salary?

If they dont, then just tell them to go feck off!!!

Have you tried searching on the net....? Or the c.a.b they are good for help and free.

Thanks hun, really appreciate it - have been looking online and found a few good helpsite. thanks again!

Hi Chelle,

Sorry to hear your boss is being such a ba****d!!!

I completely reiterate what isobel has said, CAB are brilliant. I know someone who's an advisor (but unfortunately in lancaster)

As far as I know they will do a 'means assessment' to assess your ability to pay and they have solicitors who can direct you on what course of action to take.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

Hey hun, thats brill thanks. Just got to stop stressing about it as there's nothing I can do this weekend, but first thing monday morning am straight off to the CAB with my mountain of paper work, hehehe - they'll be sorry they opened on monday!
Thanks again!! xx

Hey hun...wat sh*ts your ex employers are!!

I can only second wat everyone else has said....CAB seems the best way forward. One thing though, I know the company I work for have a 'debt recovery policy' for when they overpay you. For sick pay, I didnt realise we need to claim sick pay from the government, and once that has been paid to us they deduct the amount received from our salaries. Maybe your company had a similar thing in place where you should've claimed the sick pay from the state for them to then take it out of your salary?

If they dont, then just tell them to go feck off!!!

Hey honey, I was told SSP was paid directly by them and all I had to do was to send in my sick note each week. They paid me my full wage and a week later I was advised by my doctor that I wouldn't be returning to work for sometime, so I thought it was only fair on my employer to terminate my contract. I phoned them and he said "yeh well I guessed as much, I knew u'd do this to us. Oh BTW u owe us some money, u've been overpaid!" Nice of them eh???
Hopefully CAB will give me the legal stuff so i can tell them to feck off!! lol
Thanks hun! xx

You could try ACAS - they have a very good website and also a free helpline if you wnt to discuss your problem with them - worth a try!!

Acas - Home

Thankyou!! Has bookmarked the page and will ring them monday. Really helpful link - thanks hun!

Really appreciate it!! xxx

And to everyone who has replied, I cannot express how thankful I am nor how much I appreciate all the links and help u've all give me. Thankyou soo very much, I'm really humbled to 'know' such wonderful people.
Bless u all, thankyou!!

Much love, chelle xx

Back