Off Topic: What would you do?

Marysu

Silver Member
I've been looking for a job for a couple of weeks with out much luck, as with a crap bus route and me not driving pretty rule out trying to find one in the much larger neighbouring town....
But anyhow a friend has mention that the local supermarket she works in might be looking for staff soon as some are going back to college etc. So do i wait until it's advertised, or ring the manager, or hand in my cv some-one, or approach the manager and ask him face to face. I've never actually had to ask for a job before as i was working for a government office before and it was all over the phone and internet. I've not had a job in 3 years either so i'm sooooo rusty and terrified at having to approach someone. What would you do? All suggestions welcome and thanks for reading.xxx

Hmmm, well I wouldn't just hand in my cv. It would no doubt get lost. I'd probably find out the name of the manager and then ask to speak to him...making sure I was looking smartish. Even if he says you need to wait until the jobs are advertised I would think it shows you are keen and showing initiative.

Good luck!!

I agree with Lisa and wouldn't suggest you just had in a CV. My daughter did that over last summer, looking for work, handed in about 50 of them and never heard a peep back.

You could speak to the Manager face to face, or you could find out the contact details (name and so on) and send in your CV with a covering letter and keep an eye out for notices up in the supermarket.

Sometimes employers use agencies, rather than advertise in papers, but many advertise through jobcentreplus. So keep an eye out there too. Just to cover all bases.

Good luck :)

Hi Susan

I agree with the others - find out who the manager is and make an appointment to see them. I'm sure they will be really pleased with you being proactive and keen :)

Good luck!

Susie x

as has been allready said be pro-active and speak to the manager and if they are lookign to advertise shortly by getting in first you could save them all the costs with advertising and softing etc

Susan, I'd ask to speak to the Manager, but make sure you have a CV with you. Being a manager myself I like people who are pro active, so if you approached me I'd certainly read your CV and have a chat if not a formal interview.

I can't add anything else to what the others have said Susan. Do as they say & good luck x

Thanks for the advice everyone. Xxx

good luck susan!!! x

Back