Oh dear - confession? (totally off topic)

A friend of mine has recently acquired a computer and was asking me how to use Google and how to search for things.

I was talking about how much information about us is available, sometimes without our knowing about it, and when she said well what can we find out about you, I wasn't going to do that, so I remembered an ex-boyfriend (and we are talking about someone I haven't seen for over 40 years!) who has a slightly unusual name, so I started googling just to see how much we could find out.

My goodness, the things I found out! If I weren't an upright and responsible citizen, you could call it stalking! I know where he lives, what he is doing, what he looks like, what one of his daughters looks like, what planning permissions he has requested on his house, what his house looks like (and an aerial view), where he lived before that, what price he got for his old house, what he paid for his current house - the list goes on!

And because he is on the committee for a local event I knew where he would be this afternoon and could have gone there and found him. (No, I didn't!)

I am stunned! Just as well I am an upright and responsible person who doesn't go round stalking ex-boyfriends!!!! :D

My friend was horrified.

thats pretty horrifying :( how the hell is all that information available on the net.

It's pretty scary what you can find out:rolleyes:

I get a nasty message someone posted on a forum about me (which I have been trying to get removed for years), my Facebook, and the tip I got printed in Pick Me Up!

I also loved the £25 cheque, and the amusing phone call to confirm the tip! Mum insisted I signed a copy for her....

That's why we have to be mindful of the personal information that we post in the net. We have to protect ourselves.

It was a crap tip! The cat kept jumping on the window sill and knocking all the plants off, so I attached an old fridge shelf with hooks and string and stuck them up on that - see, naff!

Saying that, I'll never forget someone getting £25 for cutting up bacon with scissors....

Tinytootz said:
It was a crap tip! The cat kept jumping on the window sill and knocking all the plants off, so I attached an old fridge shelf with hooks and string and stuck them up on that - see, naff!

Saying that, I'll never forget someone getting £25 for cutting up bacon with scissors....

Hahaha that is hilariously bad! As is the bacon tip!

Certainly cheered me up for the day :D

thats pretty horrifying :( how the hell is all that information available on the net.

Well there would have been even more if I had been prepared to pay for it! For instance, there is a website called 192.com which has electoral roll information available for a fee.

If you apply for planning permission from your local council for anything, all the details will be on the council's website for anyone to see. Previously you could have seen it if you went into the council offices you could see the paperwork but now all councils put it online. Floorplans, application forms, photographs - it's amazing what is there.

Also, if you have a nice house to sell, anyone can see photographs of all your rooms and a floorplan to compare with the photographs, on the estate agent's website. It's a burglar's handbook! (Oh look, they have a nice painting on the wall above the fireplace in the sitting room, and here is a floor plan to show you exactly where the sitting room is, and the quickest way to get to it from the back door!)

The search I did was made easier by the fact that the person concerned has an unusual surname - trying to find something about John Smith would take a bit longer as you would have to filter through lots of irrelevant stuff.

I have an unusual name (not AnnaFaraday!) and I just googled myself - loads of stuff there. If the ex was trying to contact me (not very likely) he would have no problem.

When I realised how much information I had acquired, I felt a bit guilty to be honest, although I hadn't done anything wrong!

I think it's well out of order and unneccessary. I "pretended" to be a burglar on Google and searched my Nan's address. Found out my Nan's name, that she's 94 and lives on her own. I obviously already knew this but Mr Robber could have a field day. Why would that information be needed for public knowledge?!

I remember a presentation that I saw about child exploitation online. The trainer demonstrated how within 20 minutes they'd found out all of the details of a child's life; address, school, friends, recent deaths in the family, hobbies and then could set up a fake identity and use all of this information to say they had a mutual friend with this child and get talking. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen!

Apparently I've been to Zambia? Hope I had a good time when I was there, must have been wasted the whole time as I remember nothing!! :giggle:

I just put my name into google.

The family of **** ****** would like to thank everyone for their support and the many cards and messages received.:eek::D

LOL must have been a shock to read you'd departed this earth! Never mind, perhaps you are a long lost relative in line for a windfall...:)

I have an uncommon name and just googled myself, with the usual facebook/twitter links came a link to the oklahoma department of corrections where my fellow Shelley has served 11 years for "engaging in prostitution, use of a computer to commit crime and possesion of a controlled substance" - thankfully I look nothing like the mugshot!!! x

I have an uncommon name and just googled myself, with the usual facebook/twitter links came a link to the oklahoma department of corrections where my fellow Shelley has served 11 years for "engaging in prostitution, use of a computer to commit crime and possesion of a controlled substance" - thankfully I look nothing like the mugshot!!! x

the plastic surgeon worked then?! ;)

Back