oh dear...

SLACK ALICE

Silver Member
I have been following Jades sad story for some time now. I have read that Jackie(jades mum) and others have talked about whether the boys should go to her funeral, the papers have said that the boys wont be attending. I have just read on AOL that Jeff (boys dad) is planning on taking them to Australia for 3 weeks, so that they wont be here for her funeral.He is quoted in saying that he wants them to remember her as she was.
I know they are only young, but I believe that they should go -cos when they get older they will throw it back in their families face ie..... ''you never let us go to our mums funeral''. I think that by not allowing them to go to her funeral that it will 'Hurt' them more. Yes the funeral will be very, very hard for them , but it is all part of grieving.Kids are amazing and yes they will get very upset, but in the long run they will heal better.
Jade was not only Jackies daughter, Jack's wife and Jeff's ex-wife , she was and still is Bobby and Freddy's mum.I hope they change their minds

I think they are too young to understand a funeral and they won't get any closure from it and would possibly only distress them more. When they are older they wont even remember that they didn't go.

I disagree with you there Alice, I don't think it will help them at all. I would hate the thought of my boys going to my funeral at that age with everybody crying around them etc... way too much too young.

I watched the Jade with love programme last night and cried my eyes out at the end... it's so tragic, I really feel for her boys and Jeff for having to explain everything as they get older.

Taking them away to Austrailia is a good idea, so they don't see any media coverage and have a good time away instead.

Gail x

Having been to my mothers funeral as a young child i can say that it has stayed with me all of my life as a very negative experience-heartbreaking. When I read that he was taking them away I was so glad for them-there are other ways for them to say goodbye-just my opinion x

IMHO - I would like to think that my children would be given the choice...
My boys are 3 & 6, and I think that they would like to have been the opportunity to say Goodbye. Surely if a life is to be celebrated then the children deserve every opportunity to be part of that.
Surely they will have seen their fair share of tears over recent days and weeks.. what makes the funeral any different ?
Like I said - it's just my opinion:D

Tracy

My Daughter has attended 2 funeral and she is 3.5. Yes, they were when she was 8 months old, so naturally she didnt understand. I had no one to look after her and as they were very close family members, I didnt feel it right to miss saying a final goodbye.
I am still cross with my parents that I didnt get to say goodbye to my Nana when I was 11 as they didnt feel it was "appropriate" at the time.
Its definitely a difficult decision to make and its all depending how its dealt with. I couldnt say, yes, they should go, as I dont know them personally and wouldnt know how they would react. They should be given the choise of saying goodbye though.

I think it's a very, very tough call. They (the father, Jade's mother etc) are damned if they let the kids go, they are damned if they don't.

I think we have to accept that the childrens dad and other family members know them in a way we don't and know how they would cope with the funeral.

Reactions: Taz
My Daughter has attended 2 funeral and she is 3.5. Yes, they were when she was 8 months old, so naturally she didnt understand. I had no one to look after her and as they were very close family members, I didnt feel it right to miss saying a final goodbye.
I am still cross with my parents that I didnt get to say goodbye to my Nana when I was 11 as they didnt feel it was "appropriate" at the time.
Its definitely a difficult decision to make and its all depending how its dealt with. I couldnt say, yes, they should go, as I dont know them personally and wouldnt know how they would react. They should be given the choise of saying goodbye though.
At 11 you should have been given the choice

Back