Oh my god! I got a job. Again! Decision made!

Hi BL

Don't know how you'll be thinking when you get home from work tonight.
Regarding the expensive chair for the new job. Talk to me about Access to Work. They will pay for an assessment and fund 100% of costs if you apply within 6 weeks of starting a new job.
Look on direct.gov.uk, go to employment, then access to work,disabled people.
Don't forget my last job was a Disability Employment Adviser. If you can avoid call centre environment and headset use it will undoubtedly help your neck/back. Also less travel will mean less wear and tear on your body, especially on days you may be able to go down the road to work, but wouldn't be able to drive or get on the train. Also, the nearer to home job you will have more opportunity to get up and move about and vary your posture............xxx

Hi SB.....all good points, and things I am considering heartily. After just a few days of working nights, I can feel it in my body already. TOday I feel my hip and back are on the verge of going. That is making me feel very tired. So these are all good reasons for stron g consideration.

I must say, I am leaning towards the job down the road.

Rather heartily.

I am hoping to speak to them a little further today. IF she will send me a written offer, then I believe I will give my notice at BUPA.

I am just concered that if I feel this fatigued in my body after a week, whwats in going to be like after a year!! I have to literally run, uphill, to catch the train. Otherwise there is a 15-20 minute wait for the next one at that time. That isn't helping really. It was great when the office was a block from the station, and while this is not miles away - its enough that I feel myself at the end of the night sort of thinking "Oh my god - I have to do that all again tomorrow!" So....that is speaking loudly to me.

So it is looking like the local one may be the way to go.

:)

H - as said - twice - :whoopass: :D there is medical AND dental benefits in both jobs. ;)

thanks guys - no clearer today!!

Poor H. BL - I do think he was referring to the fact your local job offers helath benefits by being in WALKING distance!

I think we know where you're going now!

Ahh, good point!! lol - but that's OK - I suspect H won't mind a little spanking. ;) :D

Yes - I am leaning very strongly to the local job. They are so accomodating....she just texted me and said she is emailing me a draft contract so I can see all the specs and details about benefits, etc. They are so helpful....and so nice, that is going a long way towards making my decision.

SO - watch this space - should be making my final decision tomorrow. Though as you say - I think I know where I am going... ;)

THis has not been fun, or easy!

Well, I have made my decision, and I have accepted the offer for the new job. BUt I am not handing in my notice until I get a written offer.

This was agony - it really was. I know I would have loved the job at BUPA. It is an incredibly nice bunch of people, and management appear to be so interested in their staff and their happiness. That is often hard to come by. SO it was a painful decision.

I do feel the new job will offer the same type of "family feeling" though, so that is good.

I mainly made the decision on the physicality of the new offer. I can feel the fatigue already, just after a week, in my neck and hip. I imagine that will get worse over time. I also find, working the evening and nights - while I loved them 5 years ago - I just feel a bit worn down by them already. Again, due to my neck.

Plus - the thought of having XMAS of is reallllly appealing!

So - decision made - I still feel very apprehensive about it all. I hope it was the right decision.

It didn;t help that Thursday the Manager of our department had a word and told me I joined at a very good time and would more then likely be moved up to Team Leader shortly! DOH! But - I need to look after my health....and I feel that will eventually not only let me down, but them as well.

I intend to leave in such a way, that if the new offer turns out to be a pipe-dream (which I don;t hink it will) but just in case - that maybe BUPA would allow me to re-apply.

I can't fault them at all. They've been fantastic, and I really will miss the members of my team. All diamonds. Every single one of them.

This is not as luxorious as I had always imagined. I just get too emotionally involved I think. I have learned through this diet, that much to my surprise, I have issues with guilt, and can make myself fell guilty easily, and I feel a bit like I will be letting BUPA down. BUt, I have also learned, I need to look after me first.

So. Phew. Decision made - now just a bit of discomfort while await the offer and then hand in my notice. Its going to be very difficult for me. SOmetimes I wish I couldjust be cold and heartless and say "So what!". But I just don't operate that way.

SO......there ya go! :)

Thanks for all the support and input peeps. :)

(SB - the other good news is I can keep coming on Mondays! Yay!!!!) :)

Congratulations!!! You'll feel so much happier now that you've made the decision and I reckon you're right to focus on your health. Wishing you lots of fun in the new new job! x

Congratulations!!! You'll feel so much happier now that you've made the decision and I reckon you're right to focus on your health. Wishing you lots of fun in the new new job! x

Thank you hon. :) This is my LAST new new job. I swear! If anyone else calls I am just putting the phone down!!! I can;t take much more of this!! :D

Thanks LS!!

hi
glad you have made a decision.
how much notice will you have to work?
x

Ooh, BL, I've been following but had nothing useful to add to the already great advice. Well done you for both job offers - how lovely that all these prospective employers can see so clearly how good you are at your job!!

I also think that you've made the right decision and think you knew deep down from the beginning from intuition. Very hard for you, but I strongly believe in fate and if you weren't meant to have taken this new job you wouldn't have been offered it in the first place, if that makes sense!! I think if you hadn't, you'd have got to the end of this week on nights and some of that lovely shine about how great it is at BUPA would have been a bit tarnished because, although you wouldn't have wanted to admit it, you'd have been a bit down because you'd realised that physically this current job is going to be tough on your body.

Definitely think you've chosen the right path and yes, keep your options open - good people are always welcomed back with open arms in my place of employment as they are hard to come by (always amazes me about the attitude of some people in work so the good ones shine out like stars!!)

Well done once again, so happy for you and it's really your just desserts!

BL - Soo pleased you have made the decision. I feel like we have lived the process with you. You are right to wait for the written contract to arrive though. The new job sounds lovely, but I always believe it is better not to burn your bridges so again, wise decision. I do hope your neck and back are not affected as much by the new job.

Relax now and don't start wondering if you've done the right thing. I'm sure you have.

Oh - and the guilt thing - that's something I have to work through too. In my case, nobody does guilt better than a lapsed Catholic with a disappointed religious parent nearby.

Aw, bless ya you guys. :) Thanks for going thru it with me!! It realy did help to put thoughts out here, and get some feedback so thank you for listening to my waffle and adding comment. :)

My guilt doesn;t come from Catholicism - though I do understand that from several of my catholic-raised friends. I always joke with my best friend who is jewish that it has rubbed off on me from her grandmother. :D

I don;t know how much notice BUPA will want. My contract requires one month, but I believe that is after the probationary period so it is probably 1-2 weeks. It iwll be the same as LTSB - as I am only in training stages, they may just want me to go rather then to keep paying me to no end. I will behappy with either decision.

I feel like I have come home, like this is the job I have been looking for for 8 years. I am SO not a call centre creature. BUt fell into that path out of necessity and lack of belief in myself when I first landed on this here island. WIthout local references I was having a difficult time, so took what came along and that started the path.

This is no call centre, at all, and I am delighted about that. I can;t wait to establish relationships with clientele again, rathart then jst being a name/number or voice at the end of a headset.

I will tell you a littla bout the job now - I did not want to discuss it too much initially.

It is an insurance company that provides insurance for charities. They have been in operation over 80 years. They support the Scouts mainly. And I am all for programs that help raise good children, turning them into good adults. My family, as a child, was always involved with the Boy Scouts, and for me the Girl Scouts.

It will make me feel good at the end of the day to know I had my hand in something that helps people, rather then replacing everyones TVs, Carpets, Mobiles, etc., it will be much more rewarding. There will also be opportunities to get involved in volunteering at events, and offering support that way, which willbe fun too.

I also realised, it really is a much larger raise in salary from when I left Norwich Union. While it is the same as BUPA, the only reason its the same is BUPA paid a substantial shift allowance for unsociable hours. Once I take the non-commuting savings into account, its the same money - but really more because I will be on normal hours, so I at last feel I am earning my worth.

During the fat years, I lost all ambition. I had a very high paid, high level job in Childrens Protective services, and when I cam e here, I lost all ambition and drive. I just settled. And did rubbish jobs. I had really felt I had fallen off my career path. It feels very good to beback on it.

I owe LighterLife so so much. It has touched and changed every aspect of my life. :) Every aspect. I've siad it before, and I will continue to say it all my days - what a gift! :)

I am delighted. ANd really looking forward to getting stuck in. Feels like home already. :)

Thanks again!!!
XX

Last edited:
Congratulations BL

It seems like a good decision. I hope you get the confirmation letter quickly.
So glad you will have monday evenings free.
Good luck with everything.

Congratulations - i've been following this post, but didn't have any new input to make your decision easier, so kept schtum! Great news you've accepted the new job - sounds brilliant - and I'm sure you will shine with them and you have everywhere else you have been (BUPA, here, hehe..)

Anna xx

Sounds like you have made the right decision, well done :D xx

Back