OK, had a bit of a blow out - how do I deal with it?

So I have been out celebrating St paddys day. Tried to keep alcohol syns to a minimum - vodka x 6 - 24 syns. Then had a portion of pub chunky homemade chips (15 Syns? - 17.5 for chip shop chips so assume less for chunky?).
Then came home and had to satisfy the chocolate craving with a creme egg and curly wurly.

Reckon I am on about 54 syns today? :eek:

Do i go back to normal tomorrow, or do I minimise syns the rest of the week? Have something on next weigh in day so have taken a holiday and have 2 weeks to get on track and register a good loss.

umm what I would do is go on the amout of syns you have left out of 100 for the rest of the week! (but thats coz im a bit harsh on myself!).

However, a lot of people talk about "flexi" syning, im not really sure how it actually works. Maybe someone else can elaborate? Its basically where you allow yourself more syns for that day, then draw a line under it and carry on as normal the next day (with the normal amount of syns you would have had left excluding the flexi syn day).

Hope that makes sense? x

Thanks, that makes sense.

Not convinced on flexi syns. Still want a loss, so think I will plan out the rest of the weeks meals so that I dont go over the weekly allowance of syns.

Draw the line, move on. Reduce your syns if you realistically think you can. I've found that if I try to reduce my syns too much I can fall off the wagon because I can feel a bit deprived. I found on Monday morning I only had 16 left to last me three days... normally I might not use that many, but knowing I couldn't have anymore than that if I wanted to stay under wasn't good for me and I ended up just thinking sod it.... I'll go over anyway and made things worse, if you know what I mean? If I'd have allowed myself a few more I'm sure I would have been fine and only been about 10 over for the whole week.... I'm about 30 over for the whole week now. If you need to plan a few more it won't do as much harm as falling off the wagon completely!

Hi. Camille, you're doing well (your awards) so perhaps grouping your syns is working but my C advised us not to do this. She advised if we have too many (for whatever reason), just put it behind you and start the new day afresh - still using your daily syn allowance. :sigh:

I think there's alot of conflicting advice about saving up syns and what have you.... It's not something I do on a regular basis. I have to say it was the worst blowout I'd ever had this week. I should have just used it as flexi day, and moved on.... I do tend to have my syns on a daily basis, and try to keep it that way, but if I do go over for whatever reason and I can adjust it for the rest of the week to stay on track then I will. As long as it's a reasonable amount to have daily. I think 10 is a realistic amount to be left with. From experience I now know if I have only 5 left a day it's not going to work so that's when I need to move and and deal with it. I have to accept I probably won't lose that week, yet if I can reduce my syns without it putting strain on me then I probably still can lose.

Does that make sense?

I guess it is personal preference, but I would accept yesterday for the excellent day that it was, draw a line right under it, and just get back on track from today.

If you try to make up for losses you won't be eating enough for the rest of the week, and you may end up feeling hungry and that you're missing out which in turn can lead easily to another blowout.

You had a great day, minimised what could have been much worse in terms of syns, but now back to business.

By the way, why are your vodkas 4 syns each, are they 40ml shots?

I guess it is personal preference, but I would accept yesterday for the excellent day that it was, draw a line right under it, and just get back on track from today.

If you try to make up for losses you won't be eating enough for the rest of the week, and you may end up feeling hungry and that you're missing out which in turn can lead easily to another blowout.

You had a great day, minimised what could have been much worse in terms of syns, but now back to business.

By the way, why are your vodkas 4 syns each, are they 40ml shots?

They are 35ml measures, thats what we get here in NI.

Have planned out the rest of the week and I am maximising free and superfree, and can get by with a few syns a day. Wont be hungry and all, will just have to forgoe treats for a few days. Not a big deal. Will stick to plan, and can bring it back to just slightly over an average of 15 syns a day.

I think the whole idea of a 'flexible syn day' is that if we (very occasionally) have a big blowout and go off plan for just one day (but still tot up the syns) then carry on as normal, we might not have a loss that week (or we might just get away with it!) but in the long run we're more likely to succeed on SW because 1)we haven't deprived ourselves during a time of huge temptation and 2)we're learning the skill of being able to get back on track after the said blowout, which will happen from time to time in the future (that's life) and we'll have to get back on track after parties/holidays etc. throughout our lives if we're to keep the weight off!!X

Personally I would move on and count it as a flexi day. That's what I love about SW, if I had to worry about it I'd probably just say 'sod it' for the week and definitely gain! Whereas if I have 1 blowout I know as long as I get back on track the next day I'll probably be ok.

Do you have it with coke or diet coke? I reckon a 35ml shot of voddie with diet coke would be only 3½syns, meaning you can have more hehe
SW syns 35ml at 4 unfortunately :(

Flexi syns recommend you plan before hand but I have had a last minute blow out and counted it as a flexi day.
This explains Flexi syns

However, there are times when those usual Syns just aren't enough. Certainly, you could eat out or go to a party and stick rigidly to your Syns, but you may find yourself feeling just a touch deprived, like a martyr. And that's when trouble can start. So what's the alternative? Flexibility!
At bodyOptimise we don't recommend that you save all your Syns up for the week, just so you can have a few drinks on a Saturday night. Depriving yourself throughout that week is like putting yourself in a tight corset. Before the Saturday night arrives, that corset could well have been flung off, and your eating plan been pushed aside for the week…then the month… then the year. Slim people overeat occasionally and don't worry about it. They carry on with their normal routine as soon as they're able. Or they adjust what they eat beforehand. Or they compensate afterwards. Slimmers can do the same - and it works. Most slimmers are happy with the idea of cutting down beforehand or compensating afterwards. But at bodyOptimise we don't believe in suffering! We take flexibility much further: we believe that sometimes flexibility means doubling or even trebling your Syns for the day - without paying!
The most common reason for failure I've found has been lack of flexibility. Over-rigid adherence to any slimming plan has been the ultimate cause of many a slimmer's downfall. That's when 'diet' becomes a four-letter word. That's when that weight that you swore you would never regain comes creeping back.

Be Good To Yourself

Remember the scenario I described earlier? Now imagine, when you've 'blown' it, how many extra Syns (or calories) you actually ate. You probably have no idea because you stopped counting. And you stopped counting the next day, and the next... We're now talking hundreds of extra calories (or Syns) - that's when the real weight loss damage is done, not by just allowing yourself a bit of extra leeway - say an extra 20 Syns or so - but by giving up for a week or a month or a year.
We often see people who take the fast route, the motorway to slimming success, and end up so exhausted at the end of their journey that they relapse. Those who take the scenic route still reach their destination, maybe a little later, but they've had a much more pleasant journey and are in great spirits to continue. So, be kind to the most important person you know - you.
Every now and then, ease the pressure on yourself. How much and how often? You decide. Try it out. Give yourself an extra allowance when you need it most, negotiate an upper limit with yourself - even if it's just a stressful day - and you'll also be giving yourself a real chance of success, for life. Just keep counting - and stick to your upper limit - you can count on it!

Food Optimising means that you can allow yourself a flexible Syn day once in a while, and not have to save up Syns beforehand, or deprive yourself afterwards.

e.g. You have organised to go out for a Chinese with some friends on Saturday night.
Ask yourself the following questions:

1. What would I normally choose to eat?
2. How does that work best with Food Optimising
3. Have I included drinks for the evening?​
After answering these questions, work out how many Syns you require for that night:

1. Chicken and Cashew nuts with rice, and prawn crackers​
2. On an Extra Easy day, boiled rice is free and the lowest Syn value for the meal is 8½ Syns. If you use your Healthy Extra 'b' choice for the cashew nuts, deduct 6 Syns. Prawn Crackers are 1½ Syns for two. If you're likely to eat 12, at a rough guess, allow another 9 Syns. So far the Syn total is 11½.

3. If you drink alcohol, work out what you're likely to drink and the Syn value. Don’t put that tight corset on and underestimate what you'll want. If you’d normally drink three 142ml glasses of red wine, include an extra 15 Syns.​
4. Your total is now up to 26½ Syns.​
If you’re happy with this plan, agree an upper limit with yourself, enjoy your evening, and if you have an extra glass of wine, or few more prawn crackers or a pudding, keep counting. If you think you may have forgotten something, keep planning.​
Food Optimise normally until you go out, remembering that your Healthy Extra 'b' choice will be used in the evening. Use your flexible Syns during the evening, and when you get home, go back to normal Food Optimising.​
There is no guarantee when you next weigh yourself that you will have lost weight this particular week, though the chances are you will. However, you will be completely in control, you won't 'blow it' or give up, and you'll be ready to Food Optimise 100% after a great evening out, without feeling guilty.​

Back