Ok here goes! SW

Treats

Silver Member
Hi All

I am new to this site and I am keen to loose several stone :eek: :cry:.. there I admitted it!!

I do not go to a club as I don't live in the UK.. but I am English... I do have the SW books and have been working on that for a couple of weeks now.

It is going ok..(Ok never weighed myself till this week but I know that I am loosing size if you know what I mean?) but I am not sure of the sin/syn point system... the thing is...

Do I have to use them all that day if I wish?

or

Can I carry them on for a few days and use them then?

I did once go to a club with a friend ... she dragged me along to see what it was like... sorry everyone but wasn't for me... was like a religious cult.. all that clapping and everyone standing to get applause. To be honest was rather scary!

I would be really grateful for any help and support... I have started a blog with what I am eating and thoughts etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks.

Hi treats, I dont take all my syns every day, which means I can have a bit extra at the weekend, wine, olives etc. Just go by the weekly total if thats how you want to do it. Good luck and welcome x

Hi and welcome :D I couldn't advise about the syns etc, as i'm only a newbie myself :eek: But good luck with the plan! xxxx

Hi Beki, Taz and Flipflop

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question... that is really great....

It is just that I have days that I don't use any sins at all and thought I wonder .. if I could so I could have a little treat when I want one.

Never thought of putting them all together...

Thanks again...

Good luck with SW hun xxx read through some of the other threads and the stickys and you'll find lots of answers to questions, if you're still stuck just shout x

Good luck with SW hun xxx read through some of the other threads and the stickys and you'll find lots of answers to questions, if you're still stuck just shout x

Thank you so much... I am trying to work my way around the forum and get distracted so easily haha...

But nice to know that people will answer... my other question which I have just asked but dont' think I have done it in the right place is about SINS..

It says in the book that a raw orange is 0. sins... but the juice from one is 1 ...so does that mean you can eat it but have to spit it all out haha....

So do I have to count a sin everytime I eat an orange?

Anyone:confused:

Thanks in advance.

oranges as a whole fruit are free on both original and green days.

Thanks... so I guess they made a mistake in the book... I mean having the whole orange is more than having the juice... it is just I can drink the natural juiced orange but upsets my tummy if I actually eat it.. go figure lol...

So thanks again for answering.

if you juice any fruit to drink it has a sin value. the reasons for this is that fruit juice is seen as empty calories. if you ate an orange, once you'd peeled it and eaten it you probably wouldn't want another, but if you drank a glass of orange juice you'd be consuming several oranges very quickly and it wouldn't satisfy your appetite, therefore they make it a have a sin value.

hope that makes sense. :)

Oranges!!!

if you juice any fruit to drink it has a sin value. the reasons for this is that fruit juice is seen as empty calories. if you ate an orange, once you'd peeled it and eaten it you probably wouldn't want another, but if you drank a glass of orange juice you'd be consuming several oranges very quickly and it wouldn't satisfy your appetite, therefore they make it a have a sin value.

hope that makes sense. :)

Hi Mod

Yeah thanks... I do understand their point... but for me to have juice of an orange example.. I would use two oranges which has no additives compared to say having a diet cola or something like that. So much for encouraging you to eat your five a day.. just find that a little odd.

I think I will stick to my juice ... sadly is making me think maybe this isn't right. The prospective is for example....

On a meat day you can eat corned beef... yuk anyway as I don't eat beef.. lol but look at the fat that it is covered in and contains and that is free..... yet an orange... can be organic.. no added salts or preservatives, no E
numbers, no fat content blahde blah and counts as a sin... where is the logic in that?

Sorry don't mean to offend anyone.. I am a very logical person and that is something I am finding my very hard to get my head around... ermmm 2 tins of corn beef or fresh juice from 2 oranges..., I mean... just cause you use a can opener to open a tin of corned beef doesn't mean you are not going to eat more than one tin if you have a real fettish for corned beef... yet something so healthy as an orange..haha

Am I being unreasonable? Please say if I am or give me a good valid reason why you think they have done it as a sin?:confused:

Thanks...opps went on a bit there haha.

Over to my blog hahaha!!

Hi treats - I get what you're saying but your body has to work harder to burn off the orange so it helps calorie consumption etc.
I didn't know you could have corned beef.........Must check that out!!

In terms of the plan overall, I think it is the healthiest one out there. I used to do WW and because fruit had a points value I didn't eat it but instead I saved my points for chocolate.
On SW I can eat the fruit and use my syns for chocolate if I want but the main thing is that most days I'm getting my 5 a day and eating a lot healthier. It's all about eating the right things.
XX

Hi Treats, what year are your books from? I believe that corned beef USED to be free but is no longer free because over the years the manufacturers have started to add more nasties (fat etc)!
If you are using old books then you have to be careful because things that used to be free a couple of years ago, are no longer free (another example is tinned macaroni cheese-I've heard a lot of people talking about this! It used to be free but isn't anymore)

Corned beef is NOT free. There is 42 calories per 100ml of orange juice, the same as Coke! You use no calories to consume the juice whereas you use calories to eat the whole fruit

As already said, corned beef is not free and hasn't been for probably, if I remember right, about 4 years, so your books are quite out of date, unfortunately. The syn values of food change all the time as munufacturers change their recipes etc, so what you are reading may not neccessarily be correct now(though I have to say I have always successfully lost weight on SW when corned beef was free and tins of macaroni cheese, yummy!!!)
As for the fruit dilema, I can see what you are saying but to be honest, over the years I have learnt not to question this diet!!! It does work if you follow it properly and theres no other diet I know off where you can eat so much food and keep hunger at bay!! If you want orange juice, have it and syn it....thats what syns are there for, to be used on foods that aren't free or Healthy extras and what makes SW feel even less like a diet!!

hope that helps and Good Luck!

Sam
xxx

Corned beef is NOT free. There is 42 calories per 100ml of orange juice, the same as Coke! You use no calories to consume the juice whereas you use calories to eat the whole fruit

Hi Taz...

I seem to sit corrected... I don't think we were working from the same books.

I have two books from SW and it seems that both are old now lol.. good MM scam there but hey ho lol... so does that now mean that all the older recipe books that they made are also not valid as they seem to change the sins or syns values.

Anyway.. I now am looking at yet another one... and I take it that the Body Optimise is the new one? Would be grateful if you could tell me.

ok so now it seems that corned beef isn't free!! lol but it was in the previous two books.. not sure about them adding more fats to it as it has always been a very fat meat in a tin.

Now as for the oranges.. I wonder.. if for example .. that an orange for 2 level tbsp is 0.05 sins how much juice do you get from one orange and if so then surely you don't burn that much peeling an orange.. as I don't I cut the peel off haha... Maybe if I peeled them all.. put them in a vat and stamped on them to get the juice out ... they would then be classed as free hahahaha!!

Now how can you burn more calories or sins eating an orange when you put it on a plate and pick up put in and chew.. with coke (if you drink it) you pick up pour in and swallow.. so a few chews must be a lot of sins.. so it may seem that the key is to chew everything twice or three times as much?

I wonder how do they figure out the sin value does anyone know?

These are only my thoughts on things as I am sure many of you may have thought about them to.. I am not here to upset anyone in anyway... so if I have then I am sorry... just interesting to question, don't you think.. after all this is how we learn.....

Just had another thought.. if you were hand squeezing you may burn up more sins doing that haha that throwing it into a juicer lol.

As already said, corned beef is not free and hasn't been for probably, if I remember right, about 4 years, so your books are quite out of date, unfortunately. The syn values of food change all the time as munufacturers change their recipes etc, so what you are reading may not neccessarily be correct now(though I have to say I have always successfully lost weight on SW when corned beef was free and tins of macaroni cheese, yummy!!!)
As for the fruit dilema, I can see what you are saying but to be honest, over the years I have learnt not to question this diet!!! It does work if you follow it properly and theres no other diet I know off where you can eat so much food and keep hunger at bay!! If you want orange juice, have it and syn it....thats what syns are there for, to be used on foods that aren't free or Healthy extras and what makes SW feel even less like a diet!!

hope that helps and Good Luck!

Sam
xxx

Yes.. our posts seem to have just crossed... I am awaiting now to see if I have the right one.

As you say.. if you lost weight previously then that is wonderful.. can't condem me for reading from their book be it an old one lol

I do see all what you are saying.. why not question things? That is part of life.. this is how we learn.. I am of course not dissing the diet at all.. but to fully understand and re establish our eating habits for a life time .. I believe that we have to fully understand something or it will not work.

I have no problem with using my juice as a sin at all... geesh is it syn or sin.. or doesn't it matter? I never use my sins/syn anyway.. but may have found that now I could have been with the old info lol.

I also fully understand that companies do change their products... but not fruit, that always seems to stay the same.. different names of course but an apple is an apple.. oh unless it is a cooking apple.. oh not going down that road. lol...

But the point of this tread is to ask.. and to get you all and myself thinking about why it is so we can improve.. not to sit back and think ahh ok..

*Wanders off thinking do I burn sins/syns for all this typing and thinking lol*

Ok, let me see if I can explain!!!
The SW plan is all about foods which satisfy us and so we are suppose to eat less in the long run....some days we may eat more and some days we may eat less.
Right, some days for my lunch, I make a big fresh fruit salad to take to work with me and when I've eaten that I feel satisfied! (its huge, trust me and I eat it with a fork!!) I actually feel like I've eaten something!!!
Now, if I made the same amount of fruit into a smoothie and guzzled that down me, I would probably (knowing me!!) be looking for something else to eat as I wouldn't actually have felt that I had eaten anything......am I making sense!! lol Therefore, in the long run, I will be eating more food, right?
So say, you had 2 oranges for a snack, the fact that you had eaten them would probably satisfy for a while....now if you had the juice of 2 oranges for your snack....would that satisfy you....or would you be looking for something else to eat? I know I would!!!! lol

You say, you don't use your syns....why not? They are part of the plan, just like all the other foods and are there for the taking. You don't have to use them on treats, I personally use alot of mine on mayonnaise, gravy etc

Sam
xxx

Ok, let me see if I can explain!!!
The SW plan is all about foods which satisfy us and so we are suppose to eat less in the long run....some days we may eat more and some days we may eat less.
Right, some days for my lunch, I make a big fresh fruit salad to take to work with me and when I've eaten that I feel satisfied! (its huge, trust me and I eat it with a fork!!) I actually feel like I've eaten something!!!
Now, if I made the same amount of fruit into a smoothie and guzzled that down me, I would probably (knowing me!!) be looking for something else to eat as I wouldn't actually have felt that I had eaten anything......am I making sense!! lol Therefore, in the long run, I will be eating more food, right?
So say, you had 2 oranges for a snack, the fact that you had eaten them would probably satisfy for a while....now if you had the juice of 2 oranges for your snack....would that satisfy you....or would you be looking for something else to eat? I know I would!!!! lol

You say, you don't use your syns....why not? They are part of the plan, just like all the other foods and are there for the taking. You don't have to use them on treats, I personally use alot of mine on mayonnaise, gravy etc

Sam
xxx

Oh Sam... I do get it.. I got it from the start.. I was just asking why and being jovial....

I don't use my syns (ahh it must be syns then) as I don't use them... if in a recipe that had the odd one then I would have it.. i.e. tomato puree.. (will have to look it all up again now as think I might have the right one now book that is lol) then I would use that but then it would be spread across the whole meal for my family.

That is why I was asking in another thread.. do you use them all in the day or can you store them.. so if I did fancy a glass of red wine at the weekend I could have a couple to be sociable if you get my drift.

But to reitterate.. I do get the whole orange thing lol... I was having some fun and questioning at the same time.

So is it the Body Optimise Book now?

Back